lynda.com

Updated December 23, 2014
Updated December 23, 2014
3.5

Eric Robison

Pros
  • Supportive of a work/life balance and great benefits (in 11 reviews)

• There's a good work/life balance (you can go on vacation and not have to check your email 24/7) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The politics in the company combined with the culture of fear makes the work environment rather stressful (in 6 reviews)

• But the problem since then has been upper management, plain and simple (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

One of a kind type of company

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is awesome - fun employee events, workout classes at lunch, free lunch, 100% paid benefits for employees and their spouse/dependents, friendly and approachable management, motivated and happy colleagues, etc. The environment is relaxed yet fast paced and ambitious at the same time, which brings a good balance to the company. I commute over an hour each way for work because I know this type of employer is hard to find and I feel lucky to work for lynda.com.

Cons

This is a fast paced company that has grown significantly over the last couple of years. With this growth has come much change - a lot of change. For some people, this is great, we are constantly evolving and working to improve. Flexibility and a can-do attitude is key if you not only want to work at lynda.com, but want to succeed at lynda.com.

Keep up the transparency and build out career-pathing for low to mid level employees, not just the top level.

If you don't mind living in fear and confusion, it is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will work with extremely dedicated and talented people.
    You will have catered lunches most of the time.
    Your pay will be slightly above average.
    You will receive excellent benefits.
    If you are willing to drink and socialize with your management, you will be able to insulate yourself from most of the chaos.

Cons

About a year ago, someone at lynda.com must have noticed the reviews they were getting here and encouraged upper management to weigh in with better reviews. Do your research. Go back a year and start reading the reviews...

Management has low regard for the employees. In the engineering department, systems are broken, processes are in disarray, morale is low among all but a handful of individuals who have been there for years and provide for each other constant approval regardless of how arrogant their actions actually are.

Opportunities for career advancement are almost non-existent as these positions are almost always filled from outside.

In the engineering department, work life balance is only good if you consider work to be your life. (I was actually advised once by a senior manager: "if you want to advance here at lynda.com, take an example from ... and work on the weekends at home".)

There is a strong culture of fear that permeates everything and everyone who has worked more than a few months at lynda.com.

Stop talking so much about the new "Open and Transparent" culture at lynda.com and start respecting your employees. Free lunches are great. Telling individuals they did a great job would be be better. Stop accepting behavior that pushes blame for failures and mistakes to the lowest possible levels.

Tough to review

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are brilliant, fun, and innovative. The product helps people. Benefits paid.

Cons

I started at lynda.com thinking I had made it right where I want to be, so it's hard to write this. Archaic processes/systems, poorly compensated employees, and under qualified managers that have remained due to tenure rather than the ability to help scale an org that desperately needs scaling. What's heartbreaking is there are people with real pedigree here, and they are being wasted as the company struggles to take its "homegrown" vision global.

Be honest. HQ morale is lowering due to outsourcing a lot of talent. Increase compensation, stop allocating resource to maintaining image and give people what they are worth.

Top talent continues to leave, morale is low.....

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great health and other benefits, like company provided lunches, 401.
    The company has a great product.

Cons

Not a good work/life balance company. Expected to work long hours and often on weekends. The politics in the company combined with the culture of fear makes the work environment rather stressful.
    It's very hard to be promoted from within, while new hires are starting at more senior levels often with less experience than existing employees who have been passed up for promotions.

The company is growing too fast. The newer managers, directors and execs do not value the existing employees, as a result many are resigning. Too much talent is leaving and morale is very low.

Broken systems and overworked employees

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company hires smart, dedicated people, and the lynda.com courses are stellar! They also offer free lunch, along with free tea and coffee.

Cons

The Leadership Team says they care about their employees, then they take away employee benefits. We are told "there are opportunities for advancement," yet the company rarely promotes from within and conducts mass layoffs. The CEO dances around answering important questions, and the CFO has severely cut spending. As a result, the employees have to pick up the slack when systems break and when the culture goes out the window.

Great place to work! A company to retire with.

Former Employee - Client Services Coordinator in Carpinteria, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services Coordinator in Carpinteria, CA

I worked at lynda.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for lynda.com is that the owners Bruce and Lynda care about their employees. Your happiness matters to them because they know if the employees are happy the company also wins. The company offers unbelievable benefits and other wonderful incentives like occasional employee days at beautiful places.

In addition to how valued one feels as an employee, the work the company is doing is very rewarding. Here, you are spreading education to those who find it hard to come by. People use lynda.com to learn life-changing skills like web development or video editing to embark on the career they've always dreamed of. No one can say they don't take pride in working for a company whose product only gives back to its consumers.

Cons

It's hard to get hired here because the company only wants someone who is a perfect fit. Expect several interviews.

The workload, usually no matter what position you hold, is very challenging as the company is growing at a rocket's pace.

Offer your employees room to grow. If they would like to pursue opportunities in another department do not begrudge them that. Be a valued mentor, don't feel slighted.

Upper management really needs to make sure that ALL of the department managers are competent in their positions. High turnover in departments, whether employees are quitting or taking positions under other managers, is usually a sign of poor management.

Fantastic Company, Fantastic People, Fantastic Opportunity

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is easy to be excited about working here. The opportunity to make a real difference within the business and at a broader social level (providing a platform that enables continual self improvement) is palpable. What the founders have done is absolutely incredible. Successfully shepherding a company through several iterations over the years and bringing it to a pivotal point in evolution is no easy feat. Earnest admiration for what they have done.

You will work hard here and you will like it. Leadership knows that when they empower teams, the business benefits and they do so fully.

Cons

Anytime a company with extensive history (almost 20 years now!) is in a pivotal stage, there will be pain points. Primarily these have to do with changes that need to occur. Mostly, people get it and are working through any of the standard "change is hard" scenarios.

Keep it up! You are fully empowering individuals and teams in moving the company forward.

Proud, grateful and happy to be part of an awesome company and all-star team!

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Surrounded by collaborative, friendly, creative, passionate, happy and talented colleagues that want to help people learn. Many opportunities to create, grow and have an impact. Supportive of a work/life balance and great benefits. I feel valued and respected by my team and manager. Exciting time of growth and change and looking forward to the future.

Cons

At this time, top leadership seems busy but some of us on the ground need more visibility and communication.

It would be helpful to know what the vision is and where the company is going.

great company, great people and lots of growth

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* The people are amazing. They are not only smart and talented but also genuine and nice.
    * Work-life balance
    * Company is growing tremendously so there are a lot of opportunities to move up and/or gain more responsibilities
    * Company treats their employees very well. They provide free insurance (great benefits in general), health and wellness programs (yoga, zumba, etc.) and free lunches
    * The pay is very competitive

Cons

* Lynda.com has been growing very quickly so people are trying to catch up with the growth. For example, they are just starting to implement some very needed systems (i.e. Zuora, ERP, etc.). They are getting there though.

Found a company I can feel proud of working for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at lynda.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a strong feeling of collaboration and teamwork here. I trust the members of my team and have the constant sense that we are supportive of each other and are all striving for a common goal. This plus the benefits of working in a great office in an amazing location make me really excited to come to work each day! It is a fun place to work and I believe that making education accessible and helping people learn is a noble pursuit. The company is very serious about being green and reducing our footprint and I love that. We have compostable cups and silverware (among other things) and a constant supply of organic snacks and drinks to keep us going. I also love the benefits because they are great, we don't pay for them and they kick in right away!

Cons

This company is growing at light speed and no two days look the same. If you aren't able to roll with it or are uncomfortable with change it might not be the place for you.