lynda.com

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Eric Robison

Media career, yes. Technical career, no.

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Carpinteria, CA

ProsIf you are film aficionado, into the arts, comfortable with diversity and don't really care if any one approves of you or not, go for it.

Consmanagement - mismanagement - lack of clear direction related to how the company manages growth. lots of side conversations create policy. no real management leaders here. just pop up players

Amazing colleagues and exciting challenges!

Carpinteria, CA

Proslynda.com offers the ability to learn without the pressures of the classroom. As a former educator, I see how the company goes outside of the "norm" and allows you to learn at your pace in your own place!
    We offer amazing benefits, like unheard of medical and food programs! We have evolved of the years, but lynda.com still strives to take care of their employees.

ConsNew management has come in and shaken things up, changed the norm, and imposed their way of life on an existing ecosystem. Frankly, this scares people. But new ideas can also mean new product, which turns into new jobs, which equates to growth. Overall, it's a good thing for the company but along the way some people felt burned.

All the rumors are true. Stay far away.

Pros-- Free lunches, snacks, and coffee. This is quite literally the best thing about working at lynda (and basically the only thing I look forward to each day.)

-- Beautiful location in Carpinteria. Could be more walkable, but it's a short 5-minute drive to the coast and downtown.

-- Environmentally friendly.

-- The product itself is excellent. Education is a good thing. And at the end of the day, you can at least look at yourself in the mirror and feel you are doing something good for the world.

ConsLynda...poor Lynda. The company started out with good intentions and was once an excellent place to work. However, the company has recently taken a major turn for the worse. Things are just plain *not* good here, everyone knows it, and frankly I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Some of the problem is due to the fact that, years ago, the original founders didn't want to give up having strict control over their company, even as it passed two, three, four hundred employees... They held on to their baby far too long, gripping it tightly, strangling it at precisely the moment it needed to breathe. Now the company, which could be light years ahead of the competition by now, continues to suffer from this mistake.

But the problem since then has been upper management, plain and simple. Don't get me wrong - some are fantastic, honest, extremely hard-working individuals without whom the company would be in real trouble. Others, however, are shockingly incapable of managing the company, to the point where you walk through the "cheery" yellow halls & sit in the depressing jet-black conference rooms actually shaking your head in disbelief.

You've probably heard horror stories by now about how there's no job security, how the culture has been poisone, or how management is amateurish & directionless, increasingly unable to make sense of their tangled knot of priorities. I'm here to tell you: it's all true. Management acts completely irrationally, and employees live in a culture of fear. The fear of getting fired is real and it's awful. It permeates the office, hanging around in the air like a bad smell. Nobody has any more faith in anything leadership says.

And really, why should they? Before opening a new office in San Francisco, management said nobody's job was in danger. Just a few months later what feels like half of UX & Marketing is suddenly let go. Awesome people, too. (Some of them were absolutely fantastic: well-liked and very talented.)

Lynda.com has a bizarre, perverse reluctance to hire from within. Instead of empowering employees to grow and succeed, management would rather fire half the staff, 90% of whom are extremely good at what they do and getting better every day, and replace them with new "experts". (Because you know, that approach has worked so well for companies in the past...)

The way the company handles hiring & letting people go is mind-boggling. It's all just so...*arbitary* and *meaningless*. There are just no other words for it.

Management will tell you that the company is going through a transition, and transitions are tough. Don't buy it. Lots of companies go through transitions. Not many companies motivate bright people like myself to spend an hour on Glassdoor warning others.

There is no thought-leadership either. Most of what we do is copying something else that already exists. Everyone thinks inside-the-box. Those who have original ideas in their heads are scared to push buttons or pursue them. There is little innovation or true creativity, and management refuses to tackle the big problems; opting instead for short-term fixes which barely move the needle.

They've messed up bad, and they know it. People are leaving like crazy, both by choice and against their will. Leadership claims transparency but it's all talk. I haven't seen or heard anything from the CEO in months. To be honest I don't think he'll last much longer.

I wish I could go on, but I have to get back to looking for a new job. In the long run, lynda will probably be fine. It'll hobble along for a couple more years while its market share & influence continues to erode, then get gobbled up. Who knows what'll happen after that. In the meantime, two things are clear:

1) The glory days are over, and never coming back.
    2) There are far, far better tech companies to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you fired yourselves at the rate you fire employees, you might have a shot at pulling out of this tailspin.

Oh, and please change the logo already. Nobody wants to see a crusty old nun with glasses scowling while reading a book.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No job security, there one day and gone the next!

Carpinteria, CA

ProsGreat location, benefits are amazing, free lunches and an overall great environment to work at.

ConsLayoffs occur all the time without warning, HR has a tyrant working for them, favortism for employees with parents in upper management, owners have no clue of what's going on with regards to their employees, a lot of great talent is let go without a thought. Don't work at lynda.com if you have a family to support and your the bread winner and also don't let them move you across country because you have no guarantee of a job after 3 months, sometimes let go with no reason except it isn't working out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the policies that bring new employees to lynda.com and don't play favorites, especially when your own kin should of been fired for their bad actions, according to policy.

Upper-management is incredibly professional and personable, the rest.... well...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFood served 3 times a week.
    The best benefits package that I have encountered
    Salary
    Very competent and knowledgeable management
    15 minute drive

ConsThese guys know each other for 8 years (some of them)... even if you are the nicest guy in the world, they will wait for a chance to throw you under the bus to show that they are better at programming.

Requirements are extremely lacking (lean project management to "increase" communication between people). Well I would call that being lazy and letting people take over.

The code is 8 years old and something that should have taken me 2 hours would take me 2 weeks there. The code is brittle and unmantainable.

Probably the worst mistake I've made joining these guys. I quit at the end of 6 months and got hired with a hotshot company that offers plenty of learning while working on a more-than-decent code-base.

I currently drive 3 hours total round-trip

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a philosophy that says the "customer is always right". That philosophy has never described programming in that way because it can't. "Just satisfying" the customer is the cause of many bugs and patches until the code becomes the way it is.

I would never recommend this company to anyone.

The company that has lost it's way

Part of the Product Team (Current Employee)
    Carpinteria, CA

ProsGreat benefits, location and service to it's subscribers.

ConsThere has been a trend lately to discard people without any good reason. The founders have stepped away from the day to day operations and the employees have suffered from the influx of new VP's that don't match with the companies core values.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more true to the people that helped you become successful

Motivating Colleagues, Great Benefits and Good Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy colleagues were at the top of their field and motivating to be around. The company was growing, and the benefits and culture were a joy to be involved with. I loved coming to work and learning everything I could.

ConsIf the employee was not a good fit within the culture, no matter their qualifications or work produced, it could have been perceived as a cold environment.

If you value employment, don't work at lynda.com

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslynda.com has a persuasive HR team and can attract top-tier talent with competitive salaries, good benefits, a great location and a fairy book portrayal of the culture.

ConsDon't believe any of the talk. The company undergoes constant reorganizations and consistently has layoffs. Since the talent is top notch, amazing people are constantly let go. The company always has new postings, never considers current employees for new roles, and regularly hires new people only to let them go in a subsequent round of layoffs. Fortunately, I have a fantastic skill set and have driven results in prestigious companies, so with some hard work and persuasion I was able to find an amazing job after my terrible experience at lynda.com. Others were not so fortunate. Joining lynda.com can lead to a great deal of heartache. Make your choice carefully. If you move forward with lynda.com, you will be signing up for a game of Russian roulette.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least consider employees on the chopping block for other roles within the company. People are not one-dimensional and do have the ability to learn. After all, I think your motto once was, "You can learn it."

Impressive Company, always challenging!

Pros-Everyday is challenging (in a good way)
    -Plenty of opportunities to learn
    -Great benefits
    -Location and facilities are top notch
    -Collaborative peers
    -Good comps
    -Career growth opportunities

ConsNot really a con but worth mentioning. This isn't a company that ever stands still. It's constantly driving to improve. If your more comfortable with coasting than driving, this is probably not the right choice for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've received great mentoring and support in my time at lynda.com. Keep it up!

Amazing Company!

ProsFast paced company fueled for managed strategic growth. A learning company, a technology company and a production company. Attention to quality in all aspects of the business. Great company culture - Would love to retire here!

ConsBecause of the growth, you need to be flexible and adaptable to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementKept up the great work!

Worked for lynda.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at lynda.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for lynda.com CEO Eric Robison. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by lynda.com employees.