macys.com Reviews

1. great experience while it was growing

Former Employee - Manager of Analytics in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager of Analytics in San Francisco, CA

I worked at macys.com

Pros

work-life balance, very generous sick leave policy, generally very well supported in terms of what you need to get the job done. decent base salary.

Cons

not much growth in some areas compared to some others. different teams have very different promotion speed. some degree of politics are unavoidable. only directors or above gets bonus. very bad medical insurance

very good new office at soma. consider growing more competitive in salary to compete for talent. have less unnecessary meetings

2. Lots to learn, pay is good. Company cares about employees growth.

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at macys.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is room to grow and company cares about your growth.

Cons

Work can be very demanding depending on your position.

Keep it up

3. Best job ever!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at macys.com

Pros

I loved working here, the hours where flexible and the team was amazing! The customers became like friends and the discounts you would get working here are awesome!

Cons

The management is too self involved and some of the workers are extremely competitive with each other and a lot of prrssure to open rewards!

Loosen it up on the sales goals and credits!

5. Typical retail

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at macys.com

Pros

Steady hours, can actually acquire a good paycheck. Can be fun if you have good coworkers and managers. Need customer service skills.

Cons

Not the greatest hourly pay. Customers can be a pain but that is with any retail or customer service job.

Make all employees feel important. They are your biggest value to the company. Value them and they will work harder.

6. Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Signage Team in North Wales, PA
    Former Employee - Signage Team in North Wales, PA

I worked at macys.com

Pros

Good employee discount, friendly co-workers. Everyone was expected to learn the register system, which benefits customers

Cons

Low pay, actual training on the floor wasn't what I expected it to be. Went through extensive training to use a cash register (which wasn't ever needed for my position & hours - 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.), but training for my signage position was non-existent, basically thrown on the floor with the scanner & told to put out tickets and signs.

a great place to grow

I have been working at macys.com

Pros

I have been at Macy's Inc in various roles over 8+ combined years with the company beginning in Store Management and most recently in Product Management. I credit HR and Management for identifying strengths and helping guide career movement with their people. Macy's is a large company and with that comes a degree of stability.

Cons

While Macy's may have made huge strides in their mobile technology, they are still at the mercy of disparate technology groups. One needs to be flexible and have patience and keep in mind the larger picture; that said outside of the box thinking is welcome.

8. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at macys.com part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Macy's was a great company to work for part-time. They were flexible with my schedule.

Cons

I spent more than I made.

9. Lot's of interesting high-tech projects, but too many organizational barriers

I have been working at macys.com full-time

Pros

Interesting projects, modern technologies (surprisingly many interesting technologies!)
    Good work-life balance. 9-5 shop.
    Stability of the job - macys.com is financially successful and demonstrates stable growth.
    Many job opportunities due to dynamic org changes.

Cons

Too many stakeholders in each project - lack of ownership.
    Slow pace of project execution - it takes a year for features worth of 2 month work.
    Hands-on work is done mostly off-shore
    Benefits suck.
    Heavy organisational structure - too many dependencies on other departments

Reduce the number of silos, number of VPs, Directors, and other management overhead, flatten out the organization.
    It doesn't have to take so much resources to deliver a simple feature. There is a lot of room for optimizing the productivity.

10. It's a GREAT place to grow and develop your career!

I have been working at macys.com

Pros

Work/Life Balance is high priority. Great people! Lots of room for growth. I love the new building and that it's in downtown SF. Macy's, Inc. believes in Macys.com and continues to look to it as the innovator of new ways for the customer to shop!

Cons

I have none. Just keep doing what you are doing.

The Senior Leadership and management are connected to every job level. I love that they are interested in everyone's growth and development. They really care! They listen to their employees and take action when change is necessary.

11. Awesome People & Great Work/Life Balance

I have been working at macys.com

Pros

Macys.com has a terrific work/life balance. I would with some extraordinary people that would not be working at any start ups or businesses which require extra evening or weekend work (although it may occur once or twice within a year. For the most part, once you leave work, you're able to fully leave work.
    In addition, Macys.com is great with it's company values. I have always been impressed with how Macys practices what it preaches when it comes to putting the customer first. They truly care about it's customers and the shopping experience we give.
    My personal, most important Pro that Macys.com has, the people. I have never worked with a better group of people. People here care, and in addition, have been a joy to work with!

Cons

Challenges at Macys.com are similar to many other fast-growing organizations. Like some of the other reviews have stated, I have found gaps in communication when it comes to who is doing what, and when. Macys is trying to address this problem and are taking some baby steps in the right direction.
    The other issue I experience is when it comes to using other technical solutions - Macys.com is trying desperately to use industry standard tools, but this is not always the case. I either find that I cannot use certain tools without the consent of many people, or that Macys does not have (or won't) budget to invest back when it comes to using new industry tools.

My only advice to management - please honor holidays for Macys.com employees - such as President's day, MLK day, etc. It's a tough stretch of work when employees must week 5 months without a break or two.