microDATA GIS

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Bruce Jason Heinrich

Great technical potential never acheived due to owners' greed and lack of respect for employees and customers.

I worked at microDATA GIS

Prosoutdoors recreational opportunities and cheap real estate in the Northeast Kingdom; oh, yeah, and they have never had a lay-off due to lack of work

Cons"micro management" (pun intended); lack of any professional management skills amongst the owners; when work runs out, good employees are fired "for cause", and to avoid an increase in their premiums, unemployment claims are denied and fought to the highest level; average length of employment = 2.5 years; no Human Resources manager has even lasted that long;

Advice to Senior ManagementI will second that "sell the company" suggestion

Nice employees but horrible management by the owners

I worked at microDATA GIS

ProsPretty location with a leading edge product, although software quality control was a huge issue.

ConsOwners treat employees horribly, always looking over their shoulders and expecting the worst of everybody. It's a huge red flag when a vast majority of a 25+ year old company's employees have been there for 2 years or less. Their rate of employee turnover should tell you something is wrong with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company and let experienced management take over

Treated like dirt

Technician (Current Employee)
Saint Johnsbury, VT

I have been working at microDATA GIS

ProsThey need people so badly you'll likely be able to get a job here without perfect qualifications. Use what you learn (on the job, there's no support for paid training) in a field that can be hard to break into and get a better job with it in a couple years.

ConsSenior management gives middle management no say in how things are run. Middle management is just a tool for the executives to use so they don't have to interact directly with employees.

There's no career path. Unless someone gets fired or quits you won't get a promotion. Fortunately that happens a lot since there's a close to 30% turnover per year at the company.

Pay is good for the area, but mediocre for the field. Expect frequent reminders about "not decorating your cubicle unless it's pre-approved" or "not using the executive fridge"

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe get a consultant to help you see outside your bubble? I don't know if management cares enough to do anything. It certainly didn't feel like it to me.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

horrible company

I worked at microDATA GIS

ProsVermont is a pleasant location to work; good software

Conscompletely disorganized company; treats employees as hostages; be prepared to stay where you are at in your career since the company doesn't believe training is necessary. Stay away from this company.

No leadership, treats employees poorly, major growing pains.

IT Support (Former Employee)

I worked at microDATA GIS

ProsIf you are in a non-management position and do your job there is decent job security since the company is growing and the 911 industry is still switching from legacy equipment to the latest technology. The Vermont location is close to skiing, hiking, biking and tons of other outdoor activities. They pay well for the area.

ConsNo leadership. The owners don't allow managers anything real decision making power. Some of the department managers are really great people but they can't so much as turn off a light without approval from the owners. No training for employees. there's a culture of bull and jamming your way through problems in the IT department and not learning from mistakes.

The company treats employees like office supplies.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet someone who thinks differently than the current leadership and don't fire them after they disagree with you. The company needs some outside advice but for some reason the current leadership can't stand to be disagreed with.

Worked for microDATA GIS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at microDATA GIS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for microDATA GIS CEO Bruce Jason Heinrich. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by microDATA GIS employees.