mophie

Updated September 13, 2014

Mr. Daniel Huang

Fast Growing Innovative Company with opportunity for job experience

I have been working at mophie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good employee benefits
    - Awesome Gym
    - Lots of free drinks and food
    - Game area
    - Nice work areas and nice facility.
    - Great people to work with
    Fast paced with new innovative products and very creative team.
    Good learning environment that will help you in your career.
    Product leader in category - Strong market leadership

Cons

- Work-life balance a challenge at times
    - Long work hours but flexibility in hours you do work
    - Changes come fast and sometime furious so need to quickly adapt to them
    - Can be too many meetings at times but many companies have too many meetings
    - Fast growth which can mean every changing direction and processes
    - Not for the faint of heart. Need to be able to take critism.
    - IT challenges

More focused direction and vision for future growth
    Offer more employee benefits like paying for college tuition
    Improvements to inter-department communication will help to make things more efficient

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

No, mophie doesn't love you

Current Employee - Anonymous in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Tustin, CA

I have been working at mophie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best part of working here is the excitement of all the people who come in on their first day ready to rule the world specifically in the engineering departments. The innovation, various mix of personalities and backgrounds is encouraging, you are working with some of the best. You learn lessons that may take 5 years to pick up, in just a few months.

Cons

Typical tale that's existed from the beginning of time. Someone works from the bottom to the top and gains an impeccable amount of power. Decides to employ their family and friends and create a circle of immunity around them that's publicly showcased to the "have-nots". Does this cause division within the organization? Yes. Do they try to cover up 'special treatment'? No. Do they care that everyone knows and resents if you're part of the royal family you can behave as you please and get away with it? No. Are they embarrassed that they allow a manager to publicly berate their employees in meetings? No. Mophie is just a ticking time bomb and everyone knows it. They have a generous amount of talent that's not even utilized because of the ego of upper management and their inability to let go a little to let the "big talent" they worked so hard to poach actually exercise their skills. Funny.

Oh and guess what? Not only do you get the lowest vacation accrual heard of within the competitive tech world.. but you also have been 'requested' not to take vacations for the next two quarters. Sorry people who wait for the holidays to visit their families internationally, you ain't goin nowhere!

let go and let your talent flourish. Stop pretending that you're taking care of people for the long run when you just turn around and fire people that don't agree with you.

Save yourself from this place.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

I have been working at mophie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Extremely talented employees, relaxed dress code, and decent gym

Cons

Where do I start......

Great employees are always hired, who are extremely talented and smart. But these employees work their butt off only for the executive team to deny their projects at the last minute. Mind you these projects are usually assigned by the executive team to employees. This is a huge issue in PD, Engineering and the Marketing department.. Marketing department has NO leadership. Their VP is gone 95% the team and their management has zero authority to make any decisions. It is extremely unfortunate because mophie's marketing team is one of the most talented teams in the industry.

Everyone in the company is extremely underpaid unless you're an executive team member. You're working long hours with zero compensation for your time and hard work.

Executive team has the ability to do WHATEVER they want! The CEO is extremely smart and very busy. He is always in the office BUT knows little about what is really going on in his company. I believe he chooses to be oblivious. Now to the "royal family" of the company... Yes the company is owned and run by the CEO (so he thinks!). The company is run by what most people in the company call the "royal family". They've employed every single one of their family members to gain more stock and control in the company. 95% of them are not even qualified to hold their position or even do their job. One of the "royal family" members in marketing is scrolling the web 98% of his day and refuses to do any work beyond his chair. God forbid you disagree with any one of them, you are left to wonder if you will have a job the next day. You are forced to act like you like them on a personal level because you want to maintain your job security. While on company trips, the executives have the ability to use their company card on WHATEVER they want (and that means WHATEVER they want); clubs, bottle service, STRIP CLUBS (and yes, I've seen this with my own eyes), and even unrelated expenses that have nothing to do with work. WHAT COMPANY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD ALLOW THIS?!!!!! The executive teams admins are HORRIBLE, two of them in particular. They are constantly in a bad mood and will always give you attitude. They like to gossip about employees, go to starbucks 4 times a day on the company card, and sit and food (paid by the company) every day. That is ALL they do. They never do their jobs and they make everyone dread having the speak to the executive team. Sadly there is only one executive team member who cares about the company, thank god for the VP. He is probably the only person on the executive team who makes an effort in the company.

Everyone is extremely unhappy in their roles, including myself. We are forced to give up our vacation time around the holidays due to executives' demand. Most of us save our vacation so we can travel to see our family, but we can't even do that; in fear of not being able to come back of our jobs. And yes, we've been told this by our management. We can leave and come back with no job or stay and continue to have a paycheck.

When hired on your are promised the world! But nothing happens!!! Lack of bonuses, incentives, or raises!! Don't expect to move up here. You'll be stuck in the same position in 3 years time.

Employees are hired on and excited to work with such an upcoming company. As an employee, you want to go up to the new hire and tell them to look some where else. (trying to save them from the upcoming agony they will face) Past employees and even present are so excited on the day they say good bye to mophie.

Sale the company to someone else. Allow your employees to have a say and ability to speak up. Get rid of the executive team and your employees and atmosphere will change dramatically. Give your employees the vacation time they deserve and earned!

Good opportunity but lots of "growing pains"

I have been working at mophie full-time

Pros

Culture is work hard/play hard. There are plenty of opportunities to learn and apply new skills. The industry is constantly evolving and the company is growing fast, so there are always new products in development

Cons

Pay is not great. There is opportunity to get involved with more responsibility but the company does not reciprocate on pay day.

Make more of an effort to show you value your good people.

Its alright,medium paced not a whole lot of pressure

Current Employee - Quality Control in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Control in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at mophie as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The hrs 7:30am-4pm are perfect for someone with a family.they have a ping pong table and the break room is spacious

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth,they take too long to hire you in and the pay could be better

Getting everyone an access card would be nice.keeping temps for 9 months is misleading

The 'm' stands for 'Micromanaged'

Current Employee - Manager in Tustin, CA

I have been working at mophie part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Perks like snacks and drinks in the fridge, food catered all the time, free gear for your phones/tablets, relaxed dress code, onsite gym, and most folks are really fun to work with. Pay is good, but no OT regardless of hours, in country or not.

Cons

All the company direction you'd expect if you were following a sugar-jacked toddler through a candy store. And this is at the executive level as well.

Management is insane about the timelines, and you'll be demolished in front of everyone in meetings without mercy. Really builds team morale.

The executive team is laughable, wanting to review everything, reject it at the last minute, then ask why its behind.

Work long hours on a project and have it killed off right before launch, just because they don't like it anymore. The days while in the China office turn into 18 hour days, no comp time

Meeting, meetings, and a meeting to discuss the last meeting.

Stop micromanaging, let the competent rise, let the incompetent cronies go do something else. The turnover is insane in some groups, but not in others. Resist the desire to have your friends come work with you; they'll just be disappointed, too.

Growing company

I have been working at mophie

Pros

Top management are very enthusiast about the brand. Growing really fast. Great product

Cons

Poor leadership for some managers. Not very good recruiting process.

Great Place to Work at !

I have been working at mophie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of reasons I enjoy working at mophie. I love being part of new, cool and innovative technology. We are the leader of the battery solution field and have many exciting projects ahead of us.
    We have a game room including very relaxing bean bags to relax on. We have an amazing coffee machine! I enjoy all the free snacks and sodas.
    Even with a challenging job market in the US currently, mophie offers countless opportunities in every field.

Of course people are very friendly, passionate and energetic!

Cons

I wouldn't mind more food =)

Keep up the good mophie spirit !

Do More!

Current Employee - Engineer in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Tustin, CA

I have been working at mophie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- mophie JP and PS lines have already made an impact on the smart energy world and have created a unique product that solves daily problem. PS and JP lines are essential in today's fast growing smart but power hungry devices and it's really rewarding to be part of a team that continuously helps improve products that touches people life daily.

- Innovation is key here, and don't settle for nothing but the best. Special attention is paid for detailed design and continuously improve user experience at multiple levels. From ground up, mophie as a company is focused in investing in top tier technology and partners to continue lead the power market.

- Teamwork, all I have to say is that mophie is different in an extremely good way. Your team is the whole company not only a particular group. All ideas are really well respected and weighted in the decision making process which is really unique about mophie and provide a unique opportunity for enthusiastic employees. It's really an honor to be part of a very creative and skilled team here at mophie that really share their experience and expertise. The team really inspires for the best and destined to make a much greater impact. We're really working on very cool projects that will continue shape the CE world.

- Learn as we grow, In terms of experiences and learning opportunity I would say one year at mophie is worth about 5 years in a typical CE company. And it's amazing to participate in the design process from an idea to concept to prototype to MP to a successful product on the end user hands. I think in 10 years of my profession life, this is definitely the most rewarding experience.

- I love the always filled fridge with fresh juice and fruits. Also, the new ping pong table is great and looking forward for mophie first ping pong championship cup :)

Cons

- We need more people and we're really on a hiring spree of good talents.
    - I don't like the fact that no coconut juice is in the main kitchen fridge.

- Please, make sure the main kitchen fridge has coconut juice.
    - Organize the ping pong contest. Maybe a Foosball contest as well.
    - Christmas party on a cruise ship sounds fun :)
    - I would lastly say be more aggressive with new ideas, I really think we're up to something great here.

no direction, no answers, disaster

I worked at mophie full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, good team of people on hand to get move forward and get things done

Cons

No direction or approvals from sr level exec's to move forward, no budgets or any guidance, and a lot of silly politics.. Lots of projects are done over and over and go back to the start often where you started. So much round and round and little forward decisions. Working hours are crazy long with little thanks. Pay scale across the board is low as well.