pMD Reviews

Philippe d'Offay

1. Featured Review

Exceeds All Expectations!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I love my job! Working at pMD really exceeded all of my expectations of working at a technology company - or any job for that matter! I truly look forward to going into work everyday and seeing my coworkers, and after 6 months of working here I truly cannot see myself working anywhere else. Everyone at pMD brings something very different to the table, but are all some of the smartest and funniest people that I have had the joy of working with. I love that I get to mix up my day with different types of jobs and experiences, plus the high level of travel is always fun and exciting. Although this job is fast paced and challenging at times, I have grown and improved my skills at such a rapid pace that I am truly grateful for everyone at pMD.

Cons

It took me a while to get up to speed with the rest of the team when I first started at pMD. The first few weeks were really a lot of work, but looking back it was totally worth it.

2. A "unicorn" company: small, innovative, and fast-growing; yet stable, profitable, and never VC funded

Current Employee - Director of Software Development
    Current Employee - Director of Software Development

I have been working at pMD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my opinion, pMD has some of the best aspects of a large company (profitable, stable, large user base of happy customers, existing products that are proven) and a small company (exciting ideas, small tight-knit team, fast moving, fun culture). Speaking to my experience as a developer here, it's incredible to have so much close customer contact and to be able to make a difference in the lives of busy doctors who really need the help. To me, that's how you know your work is worthwhile - you hear firsthand from real people whose lives you're improving. It's also been helpful for me to learn mobile software development at a company which has been doing it for more than 10 years. This is a company where mobile is part of the DNA and that definitely knows how to ship fantastic native apps for all kinds of mobile devices. There are fun, meaty technical challenges to make software that runs incredibly fast on a mobile device, even when it deals with sensitive data that must be encrypted.

Cons

I love the company a lot and I've been here since 2007, so I have to dig a bit to think of any major cons. I would say that there can be a lot of travel to customer sites since we have a very in-person culture. If you're the kind of developer who rarely wants to see or interact with your customers, that would get tiresome. I find it energizing to get face time with our customers who are on the cutting edge of healthcare and whose ideas help to guide our product development. But it's not for everyone. Also, the company is located in the Presidio in San Francisco, so it would be hard to get to the office if you live way out in the East Bay or South Bay.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I'm amazed at how tirelessly our CEO makes himself available to all employees of pMD and to our customers when needed, while raising a family and respecting others at the company who wish to do so.

3. Fast paced, fast growing company, leading the way in healthcare tech!

I have been working at pMD full-time

Pros

The heart and soul of pMD is its team. Everyone is so talented, smart, and most importantly, friendly and supportive. These are people you want to work with and want to have happy hour with after! We work hard and play hard and that's the only way to go! We wear many hats here, but in a good way. Getting that exposure to different areas of the company allows us to understand the bigger picture more clearly. The stocked kitchen has any snack you want, including a dedicated beer fridge for that aforementioned happy hour. There are TONS of opportunities here. The growth is unlike anything I've ever seen and rarely read about. The team is small and constantly looking to get bigger. It's a great time to be here to watch and live through the boom!

Cons

If you're looking for a clock in at 9, clock out at 5 job, this isn't for you. The team is ever growing but the goals and aspirations are also ever growing. That means long hours at times. There can also/will be a lot of travel. More so for sales, but developers head out into the field too. Traveling to states you've never been to is also a thing. I've tripled the number of states that I've set foot in since working at pMD!

5. pMD is on the cutting edge of healthcare technology.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at pMD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pMD is not a startup, but the culture and working environment offer a lot of the same advantages. You're expected to wear many hats. People wear casual clothes to the office. There is a kitchen stocked with food and a giant beer fridge. We have a private plane. The office is beautiful and modern looking. We all have fancy cutting-edge MacBooks and giant hi-res Cinema Displays. The team feels like a big family, and it's a flat organization with no tolerance for the stifling bureaucracy that plagues large corporations. Since we're not a startup, we don't have to answer to investors. We control the company's destiny, which is quite empowering and allows us to be fairly nimble. pMD has been a great experience for me. We do a great job hiring ambitious, energetic, positive, hard-working individuals that also love to have fun. The team is an absolute pleasure to work with. The products are well-designed and I truly believe that we are a disruptive force in the healthcare industry. This is the place to work if you want to change the world. Change, especially in healthcare, can be incredibly difficult; pMD embraces that challenge and expects employees to do the same. That's one of my favorite things about working for pMD.

Cons

pMD is a small company with a great product and a largely untapped market, so there's always more work to do. You're given a lot of latitude and as much responsibility as you can handle. Although I sometimes take on demanding projects that require long hours and a lot of travel, I find the work rewarding and I have a ton of great experience to show for it. I really enjoy working with people that have high expectations for themselves and the people around them. Regardless of tenure, the people that work hard and produce results are rewarded and promoted. Since it can feel like a pressure cooker at times, it might not be the right place for everybody. To do well at pMD, you have to be open to adapting and growing into new roles as the needs of the company and the industry change.

6. If you want to work for a company disrupting an industry that desperately needs it, this is your place.

I have been working at pMD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pMD wants to turn the medical industry on it’s head by changing the way health care professionals use software. With that in mind, working at pMD and interacting with our customers is a constant reminder that change is necessary and needs to happen now. If you want to work for a company disrupting an industry that desperately needs it, this is your place. The work is challenging and nothing like you’ve ever done. Your job will not only be your title, but include a set of different and likely unfamiliar roles. You will support the customer, you will travel, you will educate, and you will learn to be autonomous. It's not for everyone, but can be rewarding for those that choose to work here. On a more fun note, the pMD office is located in the Presidio, which is a beautiful place to work. The office is large, open, and even has a full-size beer fridge. As we accomplish company goals, we go on company outings and trips that usually start and end with a healthy dose of alcohol.

Cons

As of today, pMD is still small, although not as agile or transparent as it could be. There is still a lot of growth to be had and internal changes will be necessary for it's success. If you don't like to travel, this is probably not the company for you - even as an engineer. Personally, I don't enjoy the travel to the extent that others do, but the upside are the miles that you accrue.

Advice to Management

There needs to be greater transparency throughout the company.

Great team, great mission!

I have been working at pMD full-time

Pros

pMD has one of the best teams I have had the pleasure of being a part of. Each person is funny, incredibly smart, and a team player. I've made some close personal friends here, and truly enjoy hanging out with everyone outside of work as well as in the office. This company most certainly fits the "Work hard, play hard" mantra. We really believe we are helping the physicians, practices, and hospitals we are working with, and I think it shows in our dedication to supporting the software. We also get to travel to cool places around the US, that I, without a doubt, would not get the opportunity to do without pMD.

Cons

This is not a 9-5 job. Each person wears a lot of hats, and often this work spills over into non-business hours. I have close relationships with many of our practices, and have a lot invested in their happiness, so this aspect isn't a drawback for me - but it may not be for everyone.

pMD Response

Dec 23, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for being a pMD team member. We're proud of both our success to date and our future outlook. Cheers!

A great team doing great things!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at pMD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at pMD is a great experience. We have a proven and profitable product, really happy customers and wonderful team made up of smart, funny folks who really care about the work they do. Because we all wear many hats, each day is an adventure!

Cons

We're all really committed to doing great work. That sometimes means long hours. This isn't a 9-5 job.

pMD Response

Dec 23, 2014 – CEO

Fast paced, close-knit company

Pros

You experience an incredible amount of growth at pMD right off the bat, and are given a diverse amount of responsibility and opportunity. The work is very interesting and dynamic, and everyone is expected to have a general knowledge of the different areas of the company so the learning curve is steep. I’ve seen such amazing personal and professional growth at pMD. The product itself is one that everyone truly believes in and stands behind, and you get to see its positive impact in healthcare firsthand. The people at pMD are awesome. It’s a small team in a fun environment that fosters growth and out-of-the-box ideas. No idea is too crazy or stupid. Each day you’re surrounded by really intelligent people that hold you to very high standards and elevate you to do your best work. pMD has done a great job of retaining a “startup” company culture with a close-knit team and fun perks. No two days are the same and there’s never a dull moment.

Cons

You have to be able to juggle a lot of different projects at once, so during particularly busy times you can feel spread a bit thin. Because everyone has such a significant amount of responsibility, maintaining a work-life balance can sometimes be challenging.

Fun team and great social impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at pMD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team is fun, smart, works hard, and cares a lot about what they do. There are a lot of opportunities for career growth. You get a chance to have a significant impact on patient care and healthcare in the US. Some of the people at pMD accidentally fell into this industry, but it's easy to have a passion for it. It feels like we get to be a part of the technology and healthcare revolution. Everyone becomes a patient at some point, and healthcare reform is one of the most important issues of our generation.

Cons

Not a 9-5 kind of job. Everyone at the company has a lot of responsibility internally and externally. While this can be great for career growth overall, it definitely isn't for everyone.

Exciting company on the verge of great things

I have been working at pMD full-time

Pros

Love the people I work with and the shared passion about what we are doing. You are never bored here, that's for sure. Always something new to work on and being a small company, you have the ability to work with several different departments.

Cons

If you don't like wearing many hats and having a lot of responsibility this may not be a good fit. Personally though, I love it. Keeps me on my toes and really close to our clients.

RSS Feed </> Embed