shopkick

shopkick Reviews in Palo Alto, CA

Updated May 6, 2014

Cyriac Roeding

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Trying to return to shopkick - amazing company, amazing leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsDuring my tenure at shopkick I was given tremendous trust and responsibility. I made my job what I wanted it to be. If I wanted more responsibility, all I had to do was ask. If I needed help or support, again, all I had to do was ask.

I've never felt so appreciated and well cared for as I did during my time at shopkick. My experience working with Cyriac was absolutely fantastic, I cannot speak of him more highly. He was always honest with me. When his advise was constructive, it was never harsh. I hope to one day be a return employee at shopkick and work more directly under his leadership.

ConsI found the leadership team to be divided at times which made for confused culture. Overall, shopkick was incredibly fun - plenty of food and snacks, beer, social activities. There was always plenty happening in the social/cultural realm. However, I think the cultural goals weren't aligned between the C's during my time at the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to shape culture that has a truly guilt free arrival & departure time. I gave a lot of my life to shopkick, would have been great to leave in time for happy hour once a week!

I love how human LT is. They are so normal and like, regular. If I wanted to work for a robot, I would have taken a job at Cisco.

Engineers are awesome. Management is terrible.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsStartup with great enthusiastic energetic engineers.
    Things get done fast.

ConsThe CEO is very difficult to work with. Most co-founders have left.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like you know more that you actually do.
    Drop the "this is the best idea since sliced bread that will change the world" attitude.

Smart guys doing business

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood business model. Treated with respect. Fed well.

ConsCramped. Potty was crappy :)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going, it works

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shopkick has been whatever I want it to be

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsAt shopkick I've easily been able to get involved in whatever areas/projects interest me. The engineering team is also top notch and I've learned a tremendous amount from the people I work with.

ConsBathroom is shared with the Chinese restaurant downstairs. Workspace is pretty cramped.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've felt the senior management has always been fairly reasonable and transparent, so I don't have any advice to give.

No respect for personal life.

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsSuper smart and energetic engineers.
    The engineering team is smart enough to implement any solution or fix any problem in a matter of weeks.

ConsExec team. People who wanted to spend time with family over weekends were almost made to feel guilty about it. Same goes for going home at a reasonable time after work.
    Exec team felt that you were a slave, since you were getting a paycheck.

You worth better than this!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThey always say how great of a company they are.

ConsBut that is not enough...I think the idea is doom to fail since people want to buy everything online any way since it is much cheaper. You can not fool the people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be hard headed freaks.

Worked for shopkick? Contribute to the Community!