simplehuman

Be The First To
Add Photos

Frank Yang

Great Company to Be at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly, easy to communicate, great culture

Conslittle room to grow, hard if you dont fit into culture

Advice to Senior Managementestablish training programs for incoming hires

Not worth working for...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProvided me with the job experience I needed for my resume.

ConsOnly promotes based on nepotism. Doesn't believe in seeing people move up unless they went to UCLA, USC or speak Mandarin.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust close the company and start over, business school doesn't teach nepotism.

Welcome to the club!!

(Current Employee)

ProsBreakfast on Friday! Great products with amazing innovation.

ConsAs a company you will wonder how they have continued to grow with no structure that flows with all departments. There is no continuity between departments and no expected goals as some departments are run by spineless supervisors that expect nothing and are driving the company in the ground. Upper management can be verbally abusive at times and very condescending.The full size basketball court only confirms the unimportance of the human beings working in shoe boxes to grow the company. It amazes me their willingness to point out faults of others while doing nothing to improve.They have no concern with the soul of a human being with the way they treat people as numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember you are nothing without the people that believe in you! Expectations should be equal company wide and not change between departments or how long you have worked for the company or where you are from. Your decisions should make you upset as human beings as it seems like all you want to do is promote the cocky behavior that seems accepted. You will always have robots that will do whatever you want but does that grow a positive environment you promote?? : )

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional

ProsDiscounts on merchandise. Free breakfast on Fridays. Basketball court, if you don't mind sacrificing space for working in a closet.

ConsCompletely unprofessional environment. The employees are forced to work in cramped, tight spaces because the full court basketball court dominates the entire building. Yeah, that will increase productivity. The CEO redefines the meaning of micromanaging. I get that he owns the company. But he has the mentality of a spoiled teenager who's got the backing of his dad. Total lack of respect for the employees. Worst place I've ever has the displeasure of working.

Good company, easy to get stuck

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsGreat experience working with some really smart people. Learned a lot, especially when I first got there. Solid company selling solid products. Good direction. Pay is reasonable and benefits are ok.

ConsEasy to get stuck there, not much room for advancement nor a clear path. Still learning who they are as a company. They don't fire the employees that clearly don't like their job and underperform, which also means they don't normally give raises. Management can show a lot of favoritism, which seems to be based more upon personality than anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementRebuild HR department. Set a higher bar for workers content with being cogs in the machine. Provide a clear path for growth in the company. Communicate more clearly about what's expected.

great brand, interesting product - no room for advancement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

Prossimplehuman is a stable, growing brand with strong product recognition and distinct design. owners of the product are loyal fans.

the company is an excellent place to build your career after school, because there's a lot of responsibility handed to you. lots of financial and personal stability. employees have worked here for many years

Consthere are no performance-based incentives. raises and bonuses are rare. people who consistently underperform are not fired. difficult to get promoted beyond a director - so not a long-term possibility for junior professionals. experienced professionals will leave eventually because of the ceiling.

Advice to Senior Managementreward high achievers, let go of the underperformers. set the bar high.

not for everyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWork/Life balance is great. Breakfast provided on Fridays. Excellent benefits package. Biannual company trips. Lots of opportunity to learn in a dynamic, unpretentious atmosphere.

ConsIt's a small, private company, and the very top level management can be moody, which dictates whether everyone in the office is having a good/bad day. Can be somewhat misogynistic atmosphere at times. Little to no formal infrastructure and corporate bible, so some rules apply to some people and not to others (so you'd have to be someone that's very comfortable dealing with uncertainty, ambiguity, favoritism--don't expect formal training or how-to guides...you're pretty much on your own). Leadership across all sectors is heavily grandfathered in, so a great place for people just starting out to learn, but truly nowhere for mid-level career types to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of you are doing great. Some of you aren't. Try to be more nurturing of top talent through initial formal training sessions and constant feedback. Try not to play personality favoritism quite as much and look more at who works hard and delivers quality work--then reward/encourage them. Make expectations very clear from the very start--don't expect employees to simply catch on over time, particularly as it pertains to whose opinion matters within the company.

My esperience at simplehuman has been the worst experience that I have ever had and wished I've known.

ProsUnless you are the chosen one or liked there is defenitely a possibility of moving ahead. (THAT'S UNLESS YOU ARE LIKED BY MANAGEMENT) and fellow workers who have that influence.

ConsWhen walking into the company you can feel the negative energy around you.
    No form of Communication with whatso ever. Everyone sits around each other in a cubical area where everyone can see and you are being watched at ALL times. You get no respect, again unless you are liked or what they say ( really playing nice to get the attention). The training sucks! You get thrown out into the ocean and expect to know everything. Not sure how it is now.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to those who assist in growing the business on a day-to-day basis and show some repect. Treat everyone equally.

Worked for simplehuman? Contribute to the Community!