thePlatform

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Ian Blaine

Great People and Interesting Work

Software Development Engineer In Test (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBenefits of a large company (Comcast), but it feels like a small company. The work/life balance is great. For the most part you can go home at the end of the day and not think about work until you come in the next morning.

ConsThere is some hr bureaucracy that we have to deal with because of Comcast. The web portal to track vacation days only works in Internet Explorer.

Cool people, interesting problems, great technology

(Current Employee)

ProsI really like the people I work with: they're smart, they're rational, and they're motivated. When you're trying to decide what to do or how to do it it's a discussion based on merit, not on seniority or politics or random executive "gut feelings". I've made some great friends here and it's cool to work with people you'd want to hang out with outside of the office.

The people would probably be enough to keep me here, but I also think it's a fun space to be working in: there's so much to figure out in online video and how the TV industry is evolving and to be involved on the cutting edge of it, as people are experimenting and trying new things, keeps you fresh. And we've got a lot of blue chip customers so it's fun to brag about which web sites and events you're behind.

Lastly, the underlying services we've built are just really strong. At some software-as-a-service companies it's a constant panic to keep everything up and running, long nights, getting woken up at 3 in the morning to figure out why something is jammed in the gears: that happens everywhere, of course, but here things feel more solid (knock on wood)

ConsWhen you tell people where you work, don't say you work for Comcast, because everyone has an opinion about Comcast. But we've got our own culture. The only time you notice the ownership is when you're stuck watching a backlog of mandatory training videos for an hour or you're battling with their SAP portal to put in vacation time.

It's also a really lean organization, both in terms of using lean/agile methodologies and the # of people. You'll be asked to do a lot, and you'll have to be good at prioritizing what you work on and to have the strength to push back and set boundaries with your manager when there just aren't enough hours in the day.

The other part of being a smallish company is that there aren't that many management positions to start with, so if you want to climb, you're not going to make it to the peak unless a manager decides to move on. Instead, you advance by taking on bigger projects and more leadership on those projects, and that's how you get your salary bump.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit and make some space for the rest of us! :)

Fair in all respects

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLarge company benefits, small company feel. As a subsidiary of Comcast benefits include subsidized cable and stock options. The teams are small and Agile. Management is accessible, including the CEO. Improvements to the product influenced from the entire organization. Product is of the best in the industry.

ConsSmall company means the "corporate ladder" is short for some roles. Unless you move to to another part of the company it can be hard to advance. Management roles are filled by people who have been here for a long time and show no signs of leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more ways for employees achieve or advance within the company. It's to easy for people stagnate and not improve. Find ways to cross pollinate the teams in ways that break up the knowledge silos.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

ProsSmart management team with some talented employees. Strong engineering focus and product vision.

ConsOverly opinionated with old school ways of

Startup culture backed up by a large coporation

Applications Support Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAgile work process
    Friendly, smart co workers
    Free snacks and drinks
    Awesome location
    Comcast benefits

ConsSlow turnaround times due to bureaucracy
    Not many chances to advance
    Growth spurt slowed after initial burst

great people to work with

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLots to learn and people here want to help you learn. Constantly raising the bar of what we have to know just to keep up.

ConsNeed to hire more people, as the company is growing very quickly, so currently fewer people to handle the work almost double.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to let people know they are needed and get Corporate to keep on track better.

long term employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and interesting product.

ConsStarted out as a great place to work but culture has changed.

Wonderful Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI felt compelled to write this review after checking out thePlatform's profile on glassdoor and wanted to voice some of my observations/opinions.

I've seen some reviews for thePlatform here that are just blatantly untrue. I've worked with the company for a substantial amount of time now and feel that I have a pretty good idea about the competencies and culture. I started working at thePlatform at a low-level position and was able to "raise the ranks" as it were. Granted, it took some self-motivation and work to be able to do so, but I would never be one to expect that a position be handed to me.

It is true that there has been some movement with administration in the past couple of years. Largely this was due to individuals finding greater opportunities be it personal or professional. Which, may I add, was always met with support from the company in whole. Our company does it's best to handle any kind of departures such that it doesn't affect the business/department/individuals and I think it has done an exemplary job.

I feel like despite the above, management does take the proper actions when an issue is voiced.

ConsLet's see, about 6 months ago it would have been transit compensations... but that has been resolved.

I really do not have any issues with thePlatform. If I do, I usually voice it to management and they are pretty good about addressing it.

Don't believe anything they tell you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSeattle office is super cool, modern and hip with nice perks like free sodas and snacks. The actual technology is quite interesting and online video is a cool space to be in. The company makes an effort to boost sagging employee morale with events and functions.

ConsThePlatform is not a company with the culture of a startup backed by the power of Comcast, as they would have you believe. Rather, it has the same corporate culture one would expect from a subsidiary of Comcast. It's quite tragic how little employees are valued in the "churn and burn" mentality they operate with. Opinions, suggestions and ideas are not valued. Management controls with old school, iron fist, fear-based strategies. If you dare to voice a complaint today you'll be gone tomorrow. Sadly, this results in a company full of very innovative, talented people that for the most part are woefully underpaid and almost unanimously oppressed. All the good reviews on Glassdoor.com? Trouble attracting and retaining talent leads management and HR to push employees to write these positive reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people. Listen to their ideas and support them. People truly want to succeed, they just need to be given the opportunities and the tools to do so.

thePlatform Recruiter responded to this review

Aug 20, 2013

I am very sad to hear this review. I will say that I know that you are in the minority when it comes to your perspective on thePlatform.

Yes we encourage our people to post reviews on Glassdoor
    ... More

A great way to find out if you like graveyard shifts

Applications Support Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsMediocre pay
    Great location in downtown Seattle and International locations
    Benefits after 3 or so months
    Interesting employees

ConsSince it is a subsidiary of Comcast you have to deal with corporate issues, that can be a pain.
    Departments treat the support department with very little consideration.
    Many departments have very different tools and procedures which make integration among them difficult.
    There is a bit of departmental behavior to create extra work to appear busier to management tools.
    HR was one person when I was there, so getting things done sooner than later required constant attention.
    Management seemed to be in a constant flux.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more care and hire management that doesn't have to look at numbers and which way they are changing to report if the department is improving or regressing.

Worked for thePlatform? Contribute to the Community!