thePlatform Reviews

Reset
4.2
Jamie Miller and Marty Roberts

Software Engineer

I have been working at thePlatform full-time

Pros

Perfect work/life balance Smart and friendly people Exciting projects (will have the opportunity to work on something new) Management team cares and solves your concerns

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than other big companies

Good people & benefits, questionable management, no room to move

Former Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

Pros

Most of the employees at thePlatform are smart, easy to work with, and fun. There are routine morale events such as company lunches, quarterly art walks around items rented from the Seattle Art Museum, birthday celebrations, etc. Salaries are competitive and the work space is top notch. The product is cool, cutting edge, technically challenging, innovative.

Cons

I worked in Consulting Services (CS) so this review is specific to that group. thePlatform is a very flat organization with little transparency into leadership decisions. There is no career path or upward mobility for project managers, solution architects (SA's), or Customer Solution Engineers (CSEs). A couple SAs were promoted to management while continuing their SA work, but those promotions were silent, unannounced, and appointed (as opposed to open to multiple internal applicants). No project manager, as of Feb 2015, has been in the CS group for more than three years. During my 3+ year tenure the PM role in CS experienced the highest level of turnover in the company: at least 11 PMs left or were let go. For perspective, when I left in Feb 2015 there were 6 PMs (3 FT, 3 Contract). Training was difficult to get approved, the review process in my group lacked formality and was winged, and optimism about future career or professional growth non-existent and difficult to discuss.

Advice to Management

Management needs to understand that a good salary isn't all there is to job satisfaction for must employees. They should seek input from their employees about what they need and implement a path to help those who want greater challenges and responsibility. The high turnover rate in the PM role in CS is an unfortunate symptom of how things currently are.

3. Great place to your career and even as a contractor!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

thePlatform encourages growth and trying new things, so I find this to be challenging, rewarding and career-enhancing position, even as a contractor.

Cons

There is never a dull moment

A growing company that continues to build on its success.

Former Employee - Systems Architect in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Systems Architect in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time

Pros

Although the company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Comcast it still maintains independence and creativity. This shines through both from the quality of personnel and the 'platform lifestyle'. Good work/life balance. For anybody that has worked at small companies or in a junior position at a large company I would strongly recommend trying out thePlatform for a couple years. It is an interesting mix of startup and enterprise.

Cons

There is a significant set of existing applications/products and designs that need updating to be 'cloud ready'.

Advice to Management

Often business growth happens in stair step patterns and not linearly. Keep the priority on the cloud initiative - once you are over that hurdle there will be a radical acceleration in the ability to develop new features/products and have even higher levels of availability. Consider a formal strategy for deprecating older products/features, trying to carry so much forward creates a hidden cost on new development and makes things more complex and fragile than they need to be.

There's a reason for low turnover.

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Seattle, WA

Pros

It's mind control... we're all turned into zombies by our second anniversary! Brains! I jest. I am constantly amazed by not only the skill and intelligence of my co-workers, but also by their great humor and humility. There are so many genuinely nice people working here that you forget sometimes how much they truly know their stuff. We'll be joking about something, break into a succinct diagnostic crazy ninja code guru haiku, then go back to talking about their kid's poo. Even the customary know-it-all alpha geeks will hob-nob with us lesser mortals. The same core of people have been here a while, with several great key additions, so we're in general a bit more mature and reserved. This is the perception from the engineering department, anyway. I don't know what those marketing guys are doing, but I'm sure it's not good :)

Cons

The benefits package is no Microsoft plan -- we are a subsidiary of Comcast so we get their mediocre plan. Fortunately that's the limit of our daily contact with the mother ship, other than getting free cable and having to gloat at those who are weak and helpless (there is actually a required class on this, but the training system is so bad that no one can find a browser that will actually open the course file. I wish I could say the same for the rest of their lame corporate training stuff). The upper management has gone through a few changes recently; our saintly founder CEO Ian Blaine left and Marty, his replacement, doesn't really have the same level of leadership and charisma, which can certainly be important for the long-term success of a company. The verdict is still out on that. We'll see.

Advice to Management

Let us know what's going on, and more importantly, associate the state of our current work with a long-range strategy. We were used to that with Ian but it's not so much now -- knowing how our work plays into our success as a company is extremely important to keep everyone inspired.

Great all-around environment to work

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Community - At thePlatform there is a great community that highlights it’s success. This company is full of freethinking, caring individuals that have welcomed me at every level of the organization no matter what department, group, or team I was working on. I have felt supported from every level of management and have had the opportunity to express myself freely. The culture is best described as a collective of positive, open minded, and vibrant employees that are all in. Fast paced work environment - There is always something going on. This company is a fast paced environment that will keep you engaged and informed on the latest developments in the industry. Innovation - This company is not just interested in keeping up with the latest technology we are interested in setting the benchmark for our industry. We have a strong engineering core, dedicated operations department, and a motivated sales and marketing organization that all have the same goal, to be #1

Cons

Fast paced work environment - The one downfall here is that “There is always something going on”. You must be proactive and set work/life boundaries. Burn out does not typically happen however, at the pace this company runs it is important to be mature and know your boundaries.

Advice to Management

Continue to demand excellence and innovation from your employees to maintain the high level of quality that makes up thePlatform.

Slow and steady wins the race

Former Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time

Pros

Original founders and lots of senior engineers built the company over a long time, so it's a well-functioning team with a good culture, strong technology and sane processes, which is a rare combo in this industry. Great place for engineers to gain experience working on high traffic services. People are smart and generally easy & fun to work with.

Cons

As a small enterprise business, it's not flush with cash and sizzling growth like bigger name tech companies, so there aren't any crazy moon-shot projects and resources can spread thin sometimes. Arguably this has helped them sustain over time, but can be good or bad depending on what you want in a company.

9. Growth is extremely stifled.

Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ThePlatform is a small company with what they would call a flat architecture. With only about 300 employees everyone knows each other and works together, ideally. Benefits come down from Comcast so you get things like half decent medical/dental/vision and cheap internet/tv/phone. If you enjoy beer and wine thePlatform always has some on site and perhaps even cold. For more hard alcohol there is a meeting in a Senior's office every friday but you must be this tall to enter.

Cons

The truth is thePlatform's architecture is not flat and there is a lot of glass ceilings for everyone. Many people leave for a place that offers more opportunities. The work environment can be fairly hostile at times. Most the Senior Management starts drinking around 4:00 pm on Friday right next to the support room so while taking calls from customers who need support you have a loud bunch of management laughing and telling jokes in the background. As support you work 10 hour days on some shifts and those shifts usually go well into the night. Multiple occasions I had to deal with employees that had gotten drunk at a bar downtown and would come back to the office to just "hang out". Some might see this as a pro but when you are trying to work you don't care about taking pictures for people. For support the training lasts about 2-3 months then you are pushed onto graveyard for about 2 weeks of training 1 on 1 with the person you are replacing from graveyard (they go to days) and after that it's all on you. Tons of time for training and yet the system is so obfuscated that many people never picked up half of it by the time they left thePlatform. With my time at thePlatform the person I trained on graveyards fell asleep every night for 2 weeks. When it was time to give my review to the management I fully explained that if an issue happened they would probably be asleep. The management shrugged it off and allowed him to go on graves by himself. Our bonuses were affected by his performance.

Advice to Management

Go into clean up mode and start acting like a business instead of partying.

10. disappointing

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefit package, but compared to other tech companies it is just fair Casual work environment office location - downtown

Cons

Very political organization Strong old boy network Legacy rules here - new ideas are not encouraged Very limited advancement opportunities Honesty is rare Comcast influence is strong

Advice to Management

Share the opportunities with the rest of the staff Be honest

Positive work experience

Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the challenge of my position as well as my co-workers - they are tackling some huge problems that enterprise customers face. Salary was well adjusted for the work I performed and raises continued that trend. Even though there was always a lot of work to do, I never was prevented from taking vacation. Management was supportive of keeping a good work-life balance.

Cons

Although they supported my work-life balance, management worked massive overtime. They never forced this down on us but it was always the example that was set. It required having a strong belief in my need for balance to prevent attempting to work crazy hours. At times, the extreme scope of the problems we tackled and the number of events we had to juggle was stressful.

Advice to Management

As the company keeps growing, push the application lifecycle responsibility to the edge. Keep the team developing an application involved with the full lifecycle of it - from planning, testing, deployment, support, maintenance and end-of-lifeing.

RSS Feed </> Embed