thePlatform Reviews

Jamie Miller and Marty Roberts

1. Contractor

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Open environment, work hard but enjoy it!

Cons

By no fault of thePlatform, the approval process for headcount is VERY slow.

Software Engineer

I have been working at thePlatform full-time

Pros

Perfect work/life balance Smart and friendly people Exciting projects (will have the opportunity to work on something new) Management team cares and solves your concerns

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than other big companies

3. Great place to your career and even as a contractor!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

thePlatform encourages growth and trying new things, so I find this to be challenging, rewarding and career-enhancing position, even as a contractor.

Cons

There is never a dull moment

5. Company Treats It's Employees Well

Current Contractor - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location Great coworkers Very diversified staff in more than one way Company amenities are very accommodating Company outings are well thought out and fun Thorough training with plenty of additional opportunities to learn

Cons

There are none as far as I can tell.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Also, please give me a promotion :)

There's a reason for low turnover.

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Seattle, WA

Pros

It's mind control... we're all turned into zombies by our second anniversary! Brains! I jest. I am constantly amazed by not only the skill and intelligence of my co-workers, but also by their great humor and humility. There are so many genuinely nice people working here that you forget sometimes how much they truly know their stuff. We'll be joking about something, break into a succinct diagnostic crazy ninja code guru haiku, then go back to talking about their kid's poo. Even the customary know-it-all alpha geeks will hob-nob with us lesser mortals. The same core of people have been here a while, with several great key additions, so we're in general a bit more mature and reserved. This is the perception from the engineering department, anyway. I don't know what those marketing guys are doing, but I'm sure it's not good :)

Cons

The benefits package is no Microsoft plan -- we are a subsidiary of Comcast so we get their mediocre plan. Fortunately that's the limit of our daily contact with the mother ship, other than getting free cable and having to gloat at those who are weak and helpless (there is actually a required class on this, but the training system is so bad that no one can find a browser that will actually open the course file. I wish I could say the same for the rest of their lame corporate training stuff). The upper management has gone through a few changes recently; our saintly founder CEO Ian Blaine left and Marty, his replacement, doesn't really have the same level of leadership and charisma, which can certainly be important for the long-term success of a company. The verdict is still out on that. We'll see.

Advice to Management

Let us know what's going on, and more importantly, associate the state of our current work with a long-range strategy. We were used to that with Ian but it's not so much now -- knowing how our work plays into our success as a company is extremely important to keep everyone inspired.

Great all-around environment to work

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Community - At thePlatform there is a great community that highlights it’s success. This company is full of freethinking, caring individuals that have welcomed me at every level of the organization no matter what department, group, or team I was working on. I have felt supported from every level of management and have had the opportunity to express myself freely. The culture is best described as a collective of positive, open minded, and vibrant employees that are all in. Fast paced work environment - There is always something going on. This company is a fast paced environment that will keep you engaged and informed on the latest developments in the industry. Innovation - This company is not just interested in keeping up with the latest technology we are interested in setting the benchmark for our industry. We have a strong engineering core, dedicated operations department, and a motivated sales and marketing organization that all have the same goal, to be #1

Cons

Fast paced work environment - The one downfall here is that “There is always something going on”. You must be proactive and set work/life boundaries. Burn out does not typically happen however, at the pace this company runs it is important to be mature and know your boundaries.

Advice to Management

Continue to demand excellence and innovation from your employees to maintain the high level of quality that makes up thePlatform.

8. Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

thePlatform is a small subsidiary of Comcast, but don't let that get in the way. Unlike Comcast, thePlatform creates top quality products and takes great care of its customers. thePlatform has a small company feel to it, is run by a top notch and caring executive team, and follows sane processes. By far one of the nicest environments I've ever worked in. + Small company feel + Competent and caring management -- you feel like part of the team and not just a resource + Nice people all around -- you get to work with real human beings, as opposed to selfish, emotionless robots + Strong engineers + Relaxed and collaborative environment + Clean code base + Great benefits, including world-class matching 401(k) plan and employee stock purchase plan, and virtually free premium cable and internet services + Free snacks and drinks (including healthy snacks such as fruit!)

Cons

- Anything that has to do with Comcast (e.g., HR related tools), but there's thankfully very little of that. You mostly forget that you're indirectly working for Comcast - Products and services are quite complex, so the learning curve is pretty steep

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and understanding. They know the system is complex, and are willing to give you the time to learn. The environment is laid back and very eco-conscious. It fits the Seattle vibe perfectly. People tend to stay here for a long time, which is nice if you are mid-career and looking for challenging work that you can rely on. The hiring process sets a high bar, and I think that helps the company maintain high quality employees. The managers listen and respond to concerns and the entire team is open to new ideas.

Cons

The work is complex and obscure. Good luck explaining what you do at a dinner party.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

thePlatform Response

Sep 12, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. We are lucky to have such great managers that are so engaged with their teams, it does keep the level of trust high which allows for that sharing of ideas. You're also ... More

Great People and Interesting Work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time

Pros

Benefits of a large company (Comcast), but it feels like a small company. The work/life balance is great. For the most part you can go home at the end of the day and not think about work until you come in the next morning.

Cons

There is some hr bureaucracy that we have to deal with because of Comcast. The web portal to track vacation days only works in Internet Explorer.

Cool people, interesting problems, great technology

I have been working at thePlatform full-time

Pros

I really like the people I work with: they're smart, they're rational, and they're motivated. When you're trying to decide what to do or how to do it it's a discussion based on merit, not on seniority or politics or random executive "gut feelings". I've made some great friends here and it's cool to work with people you'd want to hang out with outside of the office. The people would probably be enough to keep me here, but I also think it's a fun space to be working in: there's so much to figure out in online video and how the TV industry is evolving and to be involved on the cutting edge of it, as people are experimenting and trying new things, keeps you fresh. And we've got a lot of blue chip customers so it's fun to brag about which web sites and events you're behind. Lastly, the underlying services we've built are just really strong. At some software-as-a-service companies it's a constant panic to keep everything up and running, long nights, getting woken up at 3 in the morning to figure out why something is jammed in the gears: that happens everywhere, of course, but here things feel more solid (knock on wood)

Cons

When you tell people where you work, don't say you work for Comcast, because everyone has an opinion about Comcast. But we've got our own culture. The only time you notice the ownership is when you're stuck watching a backlog of mandatory training videos for an hour or you're battling with their SAP portal to put in vacation time. It's also a really lean organization, both in terms of using lean/agile methodologies and the # of people. You'll be asked to do a lot, and you'll have to be good at prioritizing what you work on and to have the strength to push back and set boundaries with your manager when there just aren't enough hours in the day. The other part of being a smallish company is that there aren't that many management positions to start with, so if you want to climb, you're not going to make it to the peak unless a manager decides to move on. Instead, you advance by taking on bigger projects and more leadership on those projects, and that's how you get your salary bump.

Advice to Management

Quit and make some space for the rest of us! :)

RSS Feed </> Embed