thePlatform

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
4.2

Jamie Miller and Marty Roberts

Great all-around environment to work

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Community -
    At thePlatform there is a great community that highlights it’s success. This company is full of freethinking, caring individuals that have welcomed me at every level of the organization no matter what department, group, or team I was working on. I have felt supported from every level of management and have had the opportunity to express myself freely. The culture is best described as a collective of positive, open minded, and vibrant employees that are all in.

Fast paced work environment -
    There is always something going on. This company is a fast paced environment that will keep you engaged and informed on the latest developments in the industry.

Innovation -
    This company is not just interested in keeping up with the latest technology we are interested in setting the benchmark for our industry. We have a strong engineering core, dedicated operations department, and a motivated sales and marketing organization that all have the same goal, to be #1

Cons

Fast paced work environment -
    The one downfall here is that “There is always something going on”. You must be proactive and set work/life boundaries. Burn out does not typically happen however, at the pace this company runs it is important to be mature and know your boundaries.

Continue to demand excellence and innovation from your employees to maintain the high level of quality that makes up thePlatform.

There's a reason for low turnover.

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform

Pros

It's mind control... we're all turned into zombies by our second anniversary! Brains!
        I jest. I am constantly amazed by not only the skill and intelligence of my co-workers, but also by their great humor and humility. There are so many genuinely nice people working here that you forget sometimes how much they truly know their stuff. We'll be joking about something, break into a succinct diagnostic crazy ninja code guru haiku, then go back to talking about their kid's poo. Even the customary know-it-all alpha geeks will hob-nob with us lesser mortals. The same core of people have been here a while, with several great key additions, so we're in general a bit more mature and reserved.
        This is the perception from the engineering department, anyway. I don't know what those marketing guys are doing, but I'm sure it's not good :)

Cons

The benefits package is no Microsoft plan -- we are a subsidiary of Comcast so we get their mediocre plan. Fortunately that's the limit of our daily contact with the mother ship, other than getting free cable and having to gloat at those who are weak and helpless (there is actually a required class on this, but the training system is so bad that no one can find a browser that will actually open the course file. I wish I could say the same for the rest of their lame corporate training stuff). The upper management has gone through a few changes recently; our saintly founder CEO Ian Blaine left and Marty, his replacement, doesn't really have the same level of leadership and charisma, which can certainly be important for the long-term success of a company. The verdict is still out on that. We'll see.

Let us know what's going on, and more importantly, associate the state of our current work with a long-range strategy. We were used to that with Ian but it's not so much now -- knowing how our work plays into our success as a company is extremely important to keep everyone inspired.

Customer Solutions Engineer

Current Employee - Customer Solutions Engineer
    Current Employee - Customer Solutions Engineer

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, successful company, continuous growth, relaxed.

Cons

A bit disorganized. Still feels like a startup

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time (more than an year)

Pros

thePlatform is a small subsidiary of Comcast, but don't let that get in the way. Unlike Comcast, thePlatform creates top quality products and takes great care of its customers. thePlatform has a small company feel to it, is run by a top notch and caring executive team, and follows sane processes. By far one of the nicest environments I've ever worked in.

+ Small company feel
    + Competent and caring management -- you feel like part of the team and not just a resource
    + Nice people all around -- you get to work with real human beings, as opposed to selfish, emotionless robots
    + Strong engineers
    + Relaxed and collaborative environment
    + Clean code base
    + Great benefits, including world-class matching 401(k) plan and employee stock purchase plan, and virtually free premium cable and internet services
    + Free snacks and drinks (including healthy snacks such as fruit!)

Cons

- Anything that has to do with Comcast (e.g., HR related tools), but there's thankfully very little of that. You mostly forget that you're indirectly working for Comcast
    - Products and services are quite complex, so the learning curve is pretty steep

Keep up the good work!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and understanding. They know the system is complex, and are willing to give you the time to learn. The environment is laid back and very eco-conscious. It fits the Seattle vibe perfectly.

People tend to stay here for a long time, which is nice if you are mid-career and looking for challenging work that you can rely on.

The hiring process sets a high bar, and I think that helps the company maintain high quality employees.

The managers listen and respond to concerns and the entire team is open to new ideas.

Cons

The work is complex and obscure. Good luck explaining what you do at a dinner party.

Keep up the good work!

thePlatform Response

Sep 12, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. We are lucky to have such great managers that are so engaged with their teams, it does keep the level of trust high which allows for that sharing of ideas.
    You're also
    ... More

Great People and Interesting Work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time

Pros

Benefits of a large company (Comcast), but it feels like a small company. The work/life balance is great. For the most part you can go home at the end of the day and not think about work until you come in the next morning.

Cons

There is some hr bureaucracy that we have to deal with because of Comcast. The web portal to track vacation days only works in Internet Explorer.

Cool people, interesting problems, great technology

I have been working at thePlatform full-time

Pros

I really like the people I work with: they're smart, they're rational, and they're motivated. When you're trying to decide what to do or how to do it it's a discussion based on merit, not on seniority or politics or random executive "gut feelings". I've made some great friends here and it's cool to work with people you'd want to hang out with outside of the office.

The people would probably be enough to keep me here, but I also think it's a fun space to be working in: there's so much to figure out in online video and how the TV industry is evolving and to be involved on the cutting edge of it, as people are experimenting and trying new things, keeps you fresh. And we've got a lot of blue chip customers so it's fun to brag about which web sites and events you're behind.

Lastly, the underlying services we've built are just really strong. At some software-as-a-service companies it's a constant panic to keep everything up and running, long nights, getting woken up at 3 in the morning to figure out why something is jammed in the gears: that happens everywhere, of course, but here things feel more solid (knock on wood)

Cons

When you tell people where you work, don't say you work for Comcast, because everyone has an opinion about Comcast. But we've got our own culture. The only time you notice the ownership is when you're stuck watching a backlog of mandatory training videos for an hour or you're battling with their SAP portal to put in vacation time.

It's also a really lean organization, both in terms of using lean/agile methodologies and the # of people. You'll be asked to do a lot, and you'll have to be good at prioritizing what you work on and to have the strength to push back and set boundaries with your manager when there just aren't enough hours in the day.

The other part of being a smallish company is that there aren't that many management positions to start with, so if you want to climb, you're not going to make it to the peak unless a manager decides to move on. Instead, you advance by taking on bigger projects and more leadership on those projects, and that's how you get your salary bump.

Quit and make some space for the rest of us! :)

A great company to work for

Current Employee - Client Solution Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Solution Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, great environment, competitive benefits and one of the best and robust video management product currently on the market.

Cons

I can't actually see any cons at the moment and really hope not to update this section in the future.

Startup culture backed up by a large coporation

Current Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Agile work process
    Friendly, smart co workers
    Free snacks and drinks
    Awesome location
    Comcast benefits

Cons

Slow turnaround times due to bureaucracy
    Not many chances to advance
    Growth spurt slowed after initial burst

Wonderful Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I felt compelled to write this review after checking out thePlatform's profile on glassdoor and wanted to voice some of my observations/opinions.

I've seen some reviews for thePlatform here that are just blatantly untrue. I've worked with the company for a substantial amount of time now and feel that I have a pretty good idea about the competencies and culture. I started working at thePlatform at a low-level position and was able to "raise the ranks" as it were. Granted, it took some self-motivation and work to be able to do so, but I would never be one to expect that a position be handed to me.

It is true that there has been some movement with administration in the past couple of years. Largely this was due to individuals finding greater opportunities be it personal or professional. Which, may I add, was always met with support from the company in whole. Our company does it's best to handle any kind of departures such that it doesn't affect the business/department/individuals and I think it has done an exemplary job.

I feel like despite the above, management does take the proper actions when an issue is voiced.

Cons

Let's see, about 6 months ago it would have been transit compensations... but that has been resolved.

I really do not have any issues with thePlatform. If I do, I usually voice it to management and they are pretty good about addressing it.