thePlatform Reviews

Updated April 6, 2015
43 reviews filtered by
4.3
Jamie Miller and Marty Roberts

1. Great place to your career and even as a contractor!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform

Pros

thePlatform encourages growth and trying new things, so I find this to be challenging, rewarding and career-enhancing position, even as a contractor.

Cons

There is never a dull moment

2. Good management, flexible vacation policy, good benefits

I have been working at thePlatform

Pros

Free cable, good pay and benefits

Cons

Company sometimes overcommits to deadlines/features without consulting Engineers.

3. A growing company that continues to build on its success.

Former Employee - Systems Architect in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Systems Architect in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time

Pros

Although the company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Comcast it still maintains independence and creativity. This shines through both from the quality of personnel and the 'platform lifestyle'.
    Good work/life balance.
    For anybody that has worked at small companies or in a junior position at a large company I would strongly recommend trying out thePlatform for a couple years. It is an interesting mix of startup and enterprise.

Cons

There is a significant set of existing applications/products and designs that need updating to be 'cloud ready'.

Advice to Management

Often business growth happens in stair step patterns and not linearly. Keep the priority on the cloud initiative - once you are over that hurdle there will be a radical acceleration in the ability to develop new features/products and have even higher levels of availability.
    Consider a formal strategy for deprecating older products/features, trying to carry so much forward creates a hidden cost on new development and makes things more complex and fragile than they need to be.

5. Company Treats It's Employees Well

Current Contractor - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location
    Great coworkers
    Very diversified staff in more than one way
    Company amenities are very accommodating
    Company outings are well thought out and fun
    Thorough training with plenty of additional opportunities to learn

Cons

There are none as far as I can tell.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Also, please give me a promotion :)

Slow and steady wins the race

Former Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time

Pros

Original founders and lots of senior engineers built the company over a long time, so it's a well-functioning team with a good culture, strong technology and sane processes, which is a rare combo in this industry. Great place for engineers to gain experience working on high traffic services. People are smart and generally easy & fun to work with.

Cons

As a small enterprise business, it's not flush with cash and sizzling growth like bigger name tech companies, so there aren't any crazy moon-shot projects and resources can spread thin sometimes. Arguably this has helped them sustain over time, but can be good or bad depending on what you want in a company.

Great all-around environment to work

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Community -
    At thePlatform there is a great community that highlights it’s success. This company is full of freethinking, caring individuals that have welcomed me at every level of the organization no matter what department, group, or team I was working on. I have felt supported from every level of management and have had the opportunity to express myself freely. The culture is best described as a collective of positive, open minded, and vibrant employees that are all in.

Fast paced work environment -
    There is always something going on. This company is a fast paced environment that will keep you engaged and informed on the latest developments in the industry.

Innovation -
    This company is not just interested in keeping up with the latest technology we are interested in setting the benchmark for our industry. We have a strong engineering core, dedicated operations department, and a motivated sales and marketing organization that all have the same goal, to be #1

Cons

Fast paced work environment -
    The one downfall here is that “There is always something going on”. You must be proactive and set work/life boundaries. Burn out does not typically happen however, at the pace this company runs it is important to be mature and know your boundaries.

Advice to Management

Continue to demand excellence and innovation from your employees to maintain the high level of quality that makes up thePlatform.

8. Growth is extremely stifled.

Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ThePlatform is a small company with what they would call a flat architecture. With only about 300 employees everyone knows each other and works together, ideally. Benefits come down from Comcast so you get things like half decent medical/dental/vision and cheap internet/tv/phone. If you enjoy beer and wine thePlatform always has some on site and perhaps even cold. For more hard alcohol there is a meeting in a Senior's office every friday but you must be this tall to enter.

Cons

The truth is thePlatform's architecture is not flat and there is a lot of glass ceilings for everyone. Many people leave for a place that offers more opportunities. The work environment can be fairly hostile at times. Most the Senior Management starts drinking around 4:00 pm on Friday right next to the support room so while taking calls from customers who need support you have a loud bunch of management laughing and telling jokes in the background.

As support you work 10 hour days on some shifts and those shifts usually go well into the night. Multiple occasions I had to deal with employees that had gotten drunk at a bar downtown and would come back to the office to just "hang out". Some might see this as a pro but when you are trying to work you don't care about taking pictures for people.

For support the training lasts about 2-3 months then you are pushed onto graveyard for about 2 weeks of training 1 on 1 with the person you are replacing from graveyard (they go to days) and after that it's all on you. Tons of time for training and yet the system is so obfuscated that many people never picked up half of it by the time they left thePlatform. With my time at thePlatform the person I trained on graveyards fell asleep every night for 2 weeks. When it was time to give my review to the management I fully explained that if an issue happened they would probably be asleep. The management shrugged it off and allowed him to go on graves by himself. Our bonuses were affected by his performance.

Advice to Management

Go into clean up mode and start acting like a business instead of partying.

There's a reason for low turnover.

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform

Pros

It's mind control... we're all turned into zombies by our second anniversary! Brains!
        I jest. I am constantly amazed by not only the skill and intelligence of my co-workers, but also by their great humor and humility. There are so many genuinely nice people working here that you forget sometimes how much they truly know their stuff. We'll be joking about something, break into a succinct diagnostic crazy ninja code guru haiku, then go back to talking about their kid's poo. Even the customary know-it-all alpha geeks will hob-nob with us lesser mortals. The same core of people have been here a while, with several great key additions, so we're in general a bit more mature and reserved.
        This is the perception from the engineering department, anyway. I don't know what those marketing guys are doing, but I'm sure it's not good :)

Cons

The benefits package is no Microsoft plan -- we are a subsidiary of Comcast so we get their mediocre plan. Fortunately that's the limit of our daily contact with the mother ship, other than getting free cable and having to gloat at those who are weak and helpless (there is actually a required class on this, but the training system is so bad that no one can find a browser that will actually open the course file. I wish I could say the same for the rest of their lame corporate training stuff). The upper management has gone through a few changes recently; our saintly founder CEO Ian Blaine left and Marty, his replacement, doesn't really have the same level of leadership and charisma, which can certainly be important for the long-term success of a company. The verdict is still out on that. We'll see.

Advice to Management

Let us know what's going on, and more importantly, associate the state of our current work with a long-range strategy. We were used to that with Ian but it's not so much now -- knowing how our work plays into our success as a company is extremely important to keep everyone inspired.

10. disappointing

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefit package, but compared to other tech companies it is just fair
    Casual work environment
    office location - downtown

Cons

Very political organization
    Strong old boy network
    Legacy rules here - new ideas are not encouraged
    Very limited advancement opportunities
    Honesty is rare
    Comcast influence is strong

Advice to Management

Share the opportunities with the rest of the staff
    Be honest

11. Customer Solutions Engineer

Current Employee - Customer Solutions Engineer
    Current Employee - Customer Solutions Engineer

I have been working at thePlatform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, successful company, continuous growth, relaxed.

Cons

A bit disorganized. Still feels like a startup