thePlatform Reviews in Seattle, WA

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time for more than a year

Pros

thePlatform is a small subsidiary of Comcast, but don't let that get in the way. Unlike Comcast, thePlatform creates top quality products and takes great care of its customers. thePlatform has a small company feel to it, is run by a top notch and caring executive team, and follows sane processes. By far one of the nicest environments I've ever worked in.

+ Small company feel
    + Competent and caring management -- you feel like part of the team and not just a resource
    + Nice people all around -- you get to work with real human beings, as opposed to selfish, emotionless robots
    + Strong engineers
    + Relaxed and collaborative environment
    + Clean code base
    + Great benefits, including world-class matching 401(k) plan and employee stock purchase plan, and virtually free premium cable and internet services
    + Free snacks and drinks (including healthy snacks such as fruit!)

Cons

- Anything that has to do with Comcast (e.g., HR related tools), but there's thankfully very little of that. You mostly forget that you're indirectly working for Comcast
    - Products and services are quite complex, so the learning curve is pretty steep

Keep up the good work!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great and understanding. They know the system is complex, and are willing to give you the time to learn. The environment is laid back and very eco-conscious. It fits the Seattle vibe perfectly.

People tend to stay here for a long time, which is nice if you are mid-career and looking for challenging work that you can rely on.

The hiring process sets a high bar, and I think that helps the company maintain high quality employees.

The managers listen and respond to concerns and the entire team is open to new ideas.

Cons

The work is complex and obscure. Good luck explaining what you do at a dinner party.

Keep up the good work!

thePlatform Response

Sep 12, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. We are lucky to have such great managers that are so engaged with their teams, it does keep the level of trust high which allows for that sharing of ideas.
    You're also
    ... More

Great People and Interesting Work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time

Pros

Benefits of a large company (Comcast), but it feels like a small company. The work/life balance is great. For the most part you can go home at the end of the day and not think about work until you come in the next morning.

Cons

There is some hr bureaucracy that we have to deal with because of Comcast. The web portal to track vacation days only works in Internet Explorer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fair in all respects

I have been working at thePlatform full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company benefits, small company feel. As a subsidiary of Comcast benefits include subsidized cable and stock options. The teams are small and Agile. Management is accessible, including the CEO. Improvements to the product influenced from the entire organization. Product is of the best in the industry.

Cons

Small company means the "corporate ladder" is short for some roles. Unless you move to to another part of the company it can be hard to advance. Management roles are filled by people who have been here for a long time and show no signs of leaving.

Find more ways for employees achieve or advance within the company. It's to easy for people stagnate and not improve. Find ways to cross pollinate the teams in ways that break up the knowledge silos.

Startup culture backed up by a large coporation

Current Employee - Applications Support Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time for more than a year

Pros

Agile work process
    Friendly, smart co workers
    Free snacks and drinks
    Awesome location
    Comcast benefits

Cons

Slow turnaround times due to bureaucracy
    Not many chances to advance
    Growth spurt slowed after initial burst

great people to work with

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at thePlatform full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots to learn and people here want to help you learn. Constantly raising the bar of what we have to know just to keep up.

Cons

Need to hire more people, as the company is growing very quickly, so currently fewer people to handle the work almost double.

Continue to let people know they are needed and get Corporate to keep on track better.

Wonderful Place to Work

I have been working at thePlatform full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I felt compelled to write this review after checking out thePlatform's profile on glassdoor and wanted to voice some of my observations/opinions.

I've seen some reviews for thePlatform here that are just blatantly untrue. I've worked with the company for a substantial amount of time now and feel that I have a pretty good idea about the competencies and culture. I started working at thePlatform at a low-level position and was able to "raise the ranks" as it were. Granted, it took some self-motivation and work to be able to do so, but I would never be one to expect that a position be handed to me.

It is true that there has been some movement with administration in the past couple of years. Largely this was due to individuals finding greater opportunities be it personal or professional. Which, may I add, was always met with support from the company in whole. Our company does it's best to handle any kind of departures such that it doesn't affect the business/department/individuals and I think it has done an exemplary job.

I feel like despite the above, management does take the proper actions when an issue is voiced.

Cons

Let's see, about 6 months ago it would have been transit compensations... but that has been resolved.

I really do not have any issues with thePlatform. If I do, I usually voice it to management and they are pretty good about addressing it.

A great way to find out if you like graveyard shifts

Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mediocre pay
    Great location in downtown Seattle and International locations
    Benefits after 3 or so months
    Interesting employees

Cons

Since it is a subsidiary of Comcast you have to deal with corporate issues, that can be a pain.
    Departments treat the support department with very little consideration.
    Many departments have very different tools and procedures which make integration among them difficult.
    There is a bit of departmental behavior to create extra work to appear busier to management tools.
    HR was one person when I was there, so getting things done sooner than later required constant attention.
    Management seemed to be in a constant flux.

Take more care and hire management that doesn't have to look at numbers and which way they are changing to report if the department is improving or regressing.

Not the best place I have worked, but not the worst.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at thePlatform full-time

Pros

The best thing about The Platform are the employees, the location, and the decor of the office. Monthly corporate lunches or events are great and the benefits we receive from Comcast are great.

Cons

There is very little room for growth; one must reside with the company for 2+ years in order to see a significant raise and/ promotion; however many employees must leave in order to find the promotion they seek.

Sadly, most of the management do not utilize teaching and training tools to groom their employees for success.

It should say something that many employees do not last longer than a year or two with the company.

Stay honest with your employees. If they come to you seeking advice, direction, or asking if their job/ position is safe; please do not lie to them. Providing positive feedback works better than constant criticism. If it weren't for the comradery I had built with my colleagues, I would not have lasted as long as I did.

Fun and challenging place to work

I have been working at thePlatform full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

thePlatform still has a startup like culture with the added bonus of having the big company benefits that come from being a Comcast company. Since there is a high focus on product development, a consistent stream of new products and features help drive new business and keep the existing customer base happy. There is always an opportunity to work with new technologies and systems as there is still an effort to reinvent and improve wherever possible.

There are many great people to work and interact with, and most make an effort to be a part of the many company sponsored events like baseball outings, bowling, trivia nights, summer picnics and catered lunches which make for a fun and interactive culture. The open door policy also allows for direct interaction and conversations with executive team who encourage feedback and new ideas.

Cons

While the focus on product development makes for an exciting environment, it can often lead to a complicated set of system dependencies, tight deadlines, and choosing new features over the stability of a product. There is also a tendency to overcommit to customers in terms of timelines and cost which often leads to constantly changing priorities as well as emergency fixes and deployments that might otherwise have been avoided.

Quite often large initiatives get implemented in parallel without a good understanding of the resources needed to bring them to market in a way that's sustainable. This tends to leave them unstable, partially finished, or not profitable. This is likely a result of the constant push for the starting tomorrow's work while not leaving adequate resources to nicely finish up yesterday's work.

Management should continue to encourage the fun culture and the open door policy, as well as consider doing fewer projects with more focused resources to enable more success overall.

Worked for thePlatform? Contribute to the Community!