thebigword

Updated January 26, 2015
2.6

thebigword CEO Larry Gould
Larry Gould

Pros
  • Learn a lot about the linguistics industry (in 5 reviews)

• you work and meet some great people internally and a number of talented linguists (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is clueless about what is happening in the trenches (in 8 reviews)

• Senior Management is very disorganised and chaotic (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning experience

I have been working at thebigword

Pros

The ability to learn skills to take on to other job opportunities some room from growth also the ideal learning experience

Cons

Salary isnt the greatest ... Should invest more into their employees so the company can run smoother and morw reliably

Take better interest in your teans

Good experience to add to your resume, but not a great company.

Former Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at thebigword as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

thebigword provided a fairly decent amount of internship experience. It was a fun and enjoyable experience to work with the other interns (for the most part). It is a great addition to your resume since it is located in Lower Manhattan. Also, you get the opportunity to interact with interpreters and translators on a global scale.

Cons

The internship did not really deal with recruitment or human resources. While there was some recruiting, it quickly evolved into a database update project. The task was to make sure that the linguist database was up-to-date and it became a nightmare to acquire the necessary information. The majority of the linguists would either not provide you their information or sometimes, they wouldn't respond to emails or calls. It was an unpaid internship which I cannot understand why. The company fired many full-time employees without any reason whatsoever. There were a lot of people who were lazy and didn't do their jobs and upper management seemed to not realize that. I got the impression that some of these lazy employees were cozy with upper management as I could not figure why they still had a job.

Please treat your employees right. Have humanity and compassion with them. Stop trying to please the U.K. office and focus on the NY office. Although it's a U.K. based company, they should become more educated on U.S. labor laws, U.S. traditions, and U.S. customs.

This company takes advantage of it's employees

I worked at thebigword full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are good learning opportunities here if you are interested in learning about localization. Other than that, there's not much to recommend about this company.

Cons

No growth, no raise, no bonus, no referral bonuses, no overtime, no advancement opportunities. You are treated like a tool and perform mundane tasks that could easily be automated.

Be transparent and don't lie to your employees about their employment status. Don't make people train their replacements or ignore them when they ask legitimate questions about career growth.

On the fence

Former Employee - Recruitment Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruitment Intern in New York, NY

I worked at thebigword as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They provide you with a great learning experience in regards to communicating with people all around the world. Management gives you a task and allows you to run with the project.

Cons

I was told to strickly chase down individuals for their personal information. Unfortunately, I did not do that much recruiting when I interned their.

Allow for personal growth. Let individuals make mistakes and learn from it. It seems as if there is a high turn over rate due to people not producing quick enough.

Absolute last resort kind of company

I worked at thebigword as an intern

Pros

There were a lot of interns there that were fun to work with. It was also in a nice location.

Cons

Had the unpaid interns working on a project that blatantly violated labor laws. It started out as educational and quickly devolved into a database update project which involved a lot of miscommunication and frustration. There was very little training and we mostly were trying to pick things up ourselves.

Take another look at the Fair Labor Standards Act and other related labor laws before hiring unpaid interns.

A great internship experience

Former Employee - Human Resources and Recruiting Coordinator
    Former Employee - Human Resources and Recruiting Coordinator

I worked at thebigword as an intern

Pros

This was a great internship. I have learned a lot from this experience. It was a great working environment, everyone at thebigword was happy to be there from what I saw. Overall it was a great experience and it was very educational.

Cons

From the internship perspective, there was no cons. It was all a positive experience with a lot of learning.

needs improvement

I worked at thebigword

Pros

decent pay, some interpreting requests can be interesting

Cons

terrible management, complicated invoice process

don't ever work at this place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at thebigword full-time (less than a year)

Pros

was able to travel to UK for training. met great people but as far as that I have no pros

Cons

they start out nice and helpful and after 3 months fire me for no reason and they made it seem they needed me to help out and then I got Greta reviews and feedbacks but they left me go due to budgets cuts which made no sense. if they had budgets problems then they shouldn't hire people then

they have no regards for anyone financial stat. they feel like it's a game to play with people lives with no regards for other people. they are two faces people. I wish I never left my job to work here if I knew they will treat people like this after 3 months.

Good Internship Experience

I worked at thebigword as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people there are very friendly and happy to work with.
    It's a global company so it's a good eye-opening experience for me.
    It's a good opportunity for someone's first internship in the U.S.

Cons

They fire people (even full-time employees) without noticing in advance.

Worst of the worst

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at thebigword full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing - I would have said colleagues are smart, friendly, and helpful, but all of these people have either quit of been laid off in the past six months.

Cons

Very high turnover. Constantly worried about job security. Staff is very expendable, it doesn't matter how hard you work, how good you are at your job, how much overtime you put in. Expect low pay with little room for advancement before you are let go. Also expect to have to fight for payment of your earned bonuses each quarter.

Treat employees as people.