uShip.com

3.7

uShip.com CEO & Founder Matt Chasen
Matt Chasen

Good outweighs the bad

I have been working at uShip.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, young culture, people are fully invested in their work and enjoy what they do. The moral is high and their is opportunity to grow and learn more.

Cons

Low pay, projects are scattered, and their is a disconnect of upper management to the rest of the company.

Low Pay, Juvenile Culture, Poor Management

I worked at uShip.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The casual dress code is pretty great and some managers offer young and talented employees the latitude to work on independent/more interesting projects. I enjoyed having the flexibility to set my own schedule.

uShip is a good transition employer. If you're graduating from college but want to keep that lifestyle for another year or two, this is a good place to work. You'll have a laid back job and walk away with some decent resume bullet points.

Cons

HR oversells the "start-up" benefits. The all-you-can-eat lunches are pretty bad. Want to see pre-cubed chicken poured from a plastic bag in a pot and covered in grease and salt? It's pretty gross, and a great way to put on the uShip 15. The monthly happy hours are just an excuse to get blacked-out drunk and act like frat boys. The first few are fun to watch and then the behavior is just sad and embarrassing. I saw several men make inappropriate passes at female coworkers, and HR has done little curb this aggressive behavior towards women. HR even told one woman to "stop being so nice and pretty."

There is little upward mobility here. The "perks" attract young talent out of college who move on in a year or two because, although titles may change, actual job duties don't. The pay is also pretty low.

Management frequently loses focus, micromanages, and doesn't seem honest with employees. The All-Hands meetings are used to indoctrinate, not inform. I don't know anyone who took them seriously. There are a lot of "hand wavers" at the VP level; they assign pointless/minute tasks across departments to make it seem like they're accomplishing something, when really they impede the efficiency of the employees with whom they work.

The developers are treated like princes; the rest of the departments lack funds, are overworked and treated as extraneous members of the 'Ship.

Morale has nose-dived in recent months, and I would expect a large exodus of employees soon.

Hire competent managers. Find a good product and refine it, instead of jumping from failed venture to failed venture. Be honest with your employees. Treat your female employees with respect. Trust that you've hired good people and stop micromanaging.

Awesome

Current Intern - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip.com as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Really funny, learn a lot

Cons

Low pay, a lot of the site has a bad ux and slow to fix

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip.com full-time

Pros

Casual dress code and work environment, amazing chef that cooks lunch every day, fun activities planned and paid for by the company on a regular basis, a lot of cool and smart people working there

Cons

salaries could be better, but then again hours are not super demanding

keep up the great office culture

Great people, some cons

I worked at uShip.com

Pros

There are a lot of perks to working here which almost makes up for the fact that they're not competitive salary-wise. Really great co-workers, but, they could spend a bit of money improving the quality of middle management. The company is growing rapidly and without strong middle management they're ending up with high turnover. Good experience overall though- at some point you get bored of all the happy hours and eventually you move on to somewhere you can actually develop your career.

Cons

Upper managers do have a problem sharing authority and their focus shifts so quickly from one thing to the next that usually you're scrambling to half-finish something while you're moving on to the next. Management is also quick to throw people under the bus.

Just because a person has been with the company for a bit doesn't make them a good candidate for management.

Positive Future Outlook

I have been working at uShip.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

uShip has always been a very fun place to work, while actually getting business done and providing a product that adds value to those with shipping needs. uShip has always had the perks that start-ups are known for (free food, flexible work schedule, casual dress, 401(k) match, free insurance, etc.), but as more companies add those items, the focus has shifted to what keeps employees at a company, and that is a company and culture that cares about their employees.

uShip is now in the awkward adolescent stage of the business, which Sr. Management realizes, and they are not afraid to re-prioritize as needed to help get the company to the next stage of growth. Employees are given the chance to be promoted from within, and there is now have a healthy mix of home grown leaders, and hired in subject matter experts. There are a lot of smart and talented employees at uShip! This dynamic is what is needed to get to the next level as a company. Exciting times ahead!

Cons

Better modes of communication between departments and employment levels are needed (but doesn't every company have that issue?).

uShip is no longer a start-up, and needs to stop saying they are, and focus on the next steps.

What gets you here doesn't necessarily get you there. Sr. Management needs to make sure they don't forget that phrase. If it is remembered, and the company stays agile, it can grow exponentially.

Don't forget, if you genuinely take the time to know who is working for you and what value they can provide, you will get way more out of your employees than you ever expected. Make sure you keep investing in your best resource (your employees), and get to know what makes them tick. Inside & outside of the office.

Best internship I could've asked for.

Former Intern - Web Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Web Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at uShip.com as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

uShip is so welcoming with very knowledgable people who love being asked any and all questions. I was placed on a team with full time employees and was able to participate in the real work that goes on at the company, so real world experience!! Not to mention the free lunch, the video games, the snacks, and the awesome awesome people.

Cons

All the fun can be distracting at times (is this really a con??). There were very few girls working as developers which was a little troubling to me.

I work with amazing people!

I have been working at uShip.com

Pros

This is by far one of the best places I've ever worked. There's a passion and talent in the people here that makes it so much fun to come to work every day. We get to work on complex problems, and grow a company to a new level while having a lot of fun.

Cons

Like with any start-up, each new development is something that we have a find a way to incorporate into the business. Sometimes we do this better than others, but I see us improving on this as we move forward.

A grade-school popularity contest that feeds on the money of its business partners and customers

I have been working at uShip.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- A niche market
    - Food and birthday cookies
    - A laid-back environment and atmosphere, that is not conducive to doing what's best for business partners and/or customers.

Cons

- Poor leadership and management that has come up through the ranks without any training
    - Human Resources reps that don't take an unbiased approach; they took, are caught up in the popularity contest.
    - No training, performance planning, or talent management. Poor attitudes and team-players.
    - Questionable business practices.

Train your ineffective leaders.

Nice Place

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX

I have been working at uShip.com as a contractor

Pros

"perks" are cushy; low-stress environment

Cons

compensation not competitive. "in-crowd" of people who have been around since the start.