van Wagenen Financial Services

Getting much better

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services

Pros

The company has made significant strides over the past couple of years in most areas. Employees have more say in what happens and have the ability to participate in events. The 401k match is great and the benefits are nice. The paid time off is better than most jobs for entry level employees. Supervisors and managers are great to work with.

Cons

High productivity standards create too much stress. Just because employees are capable of meeting high standards, doesn't mean they can do them every day. In comparison, just because a runner has the ability to run a marathon doesn't mean they should do it every day. Also, upper management appears to be out of touch with reality because there are similar jobs in the marketplace with lower productivity requirements that pay more money. Most of my co-workers would agree that the call center was much more fun several years ago. It felt like our manager had our best interests in mind and everything was kept running smoothly. I don't have anything against my existing manager, but it seems as though she has her hands tied by upper management.

Increase wages so that they are in line with productivity expectations. Hire more resources so that we're not always behind.

A company that allows you the power to improve your position by empowering you as an associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

van Wagenen has a very positive outlook! I have worked with van Wagenen for about 7 years, I began in the Data Entry area and worked my way up into my ideal position. There are opportunities for growth as long as you are the type of associate who works hard, is innovative and career focused (the typical expectations at any company when it comes to wanting to move up - you need to work for it!). The culture is moving in a very positive direction with the Leadership Team working hard at empowering the associates. Like all companies there have been some hard times with the economy but van Wagenen has come out of it stronger than ever before. I've been with the company long enough to see the changes taking place and am excited for our future.

Cons

The company is growing and the amount of work can be a lot at times but with client growth comes internal growth.

Continue to support associates wanting to take part in the continuing education classes (called Pro Series which is our version of Lunch and Learns but you don't have to use your unpaid lunch to attend!), the volunteer days - two days a year to volunteer is not only a perk for working here but also the right thing to do, and the wellness groups. The internal feeling of this company is positive and supportive which makes it a great place to work but add in the perks we are offered and you really know you are working for a company that cares!

Change is in the air

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

There has been alot of much overdue change happening at van Wagenen. We are being rewarded for hard work instead of everyone being treated the same regardless of effort. While it has been good for many associates, not everyone fits in the new culture. The volunteer program is fantastic. The staff at all levels is friendly and welcoming. The employee lounge was a nice addition.

Cons

There are still some people and practices from the past that need to change. We still are not getting enough coaching and communication in CS. Alot of change happening has caused some uncertainty. It can take awhile to get up to speed.

Keep empowering associates. We can only be as successful as our supervisors. The company seems to have turned the corner there is alot of work to do in continuing to create a better culture and place to work. Focus on getting more business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Moving in the Right Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Social Responsibility is one of the core values of van Wagenen, and they live up to this by providing countless volunteer opportunities throughout the year. The company is gaining market share and moving in the right direction. Benefits are fair.

Cons

This is a unique niche of insurance products and services, so the learning curve for new hires is pretty steep.

Great companie with positive environment!!

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services

Pros

Great place to work at easy-going with new opportunities all the time, flexible hours, great training with the University of Minnesota. The staff always make you feel welcome

Cons

Nothing bad really my experience at VanWagenen was Good

Very positive, dynamic and challenging with very good employee recognition.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great opportunities for development, innovation and volunteering. Great recognition awards and upper management is always open to suggestions and comments.

Cons

Because it is a small company the workload fluctuates, and at times can be almost overwhelming. Employees feel that some areas have more work than others, and although this is not entirely true, the pressure in some departments is higher than in others

I like the positive changes that upper management has been working on, specially innovation opportunities, core values, and performance recognition. The new culture is very positive, and it would be very helpful to introduce changes in a timely manner and with as much information as possible. Example would be new location.

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Leadership  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Leadership in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

The company has been working hard to improve the culture - we had a lot of training opportunities over the past year. There are opportunities to move up in your career - positions are posted and people are promoted.
    There have been a lot of changes - but many of them are positive. It does seem like employees are being trusted more to make decisions - and that we are very focused as a company on creating a positive employee and customer experience. Benefits have also improved a lot in the past couple of year - such as having paid volunteer days, tuition reimbursement, health club reimbursement, and now the APEX award and rencognition program.

Cons

With a lot of changes can come uncertainty which leads some people to feel stressed. We still need to break down some walls and help people understand how they fit into the big picture.

Continue to be transparent - have regular town hall meetings like we have been doing - share ideas with all employees and get their feedback. Everyone wants to feel included in decision making.

Customer Service

I worked at van Wagenen Financial Services

Pros

They are not many Pros. Some off the co- workers are nice and benefits are in line with other companies.

Cons

Management lacking skills and education. Executive level is not in touch with competition. This is an entry level company and pay scale reflects that. The president is very arrogant and lacks experience

Take a good look at areas that they are successful at and stick to that.

Opportunity for those who want it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is progressive, looking at new ways to do what they have come to be experts in. With the new leadership, there is a lot more transparency and a lot more openness to associate ideas and contributions. The company is very focused on growth and expansion which means if you look for it, there are opportunities. The parent, Bankers Financial Corporation, is a plus too - support of an even larger organization.

One of the best perks here right now - Two PAID volunteer days!

Cons

Benefits are ok, not the best/not the worst.

Data entry

I worked at van Wagenen Financial Services

Pros

I was given a lot of responsibility and a lot was expected of me. I was encouraged to push myself.

Cons

I was given more work than was always realistic to finish by one person. There was expectation to do more all the time without a lot of support.

Worked for van Wagenen Financial Services? Contribute to the Community!