van Wagenen Financial Services

Getting much better

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services

Pros

The company has made significant strides over the past couple of years in most areas. Employees have more say in what happens and have the ability to participate in events. The 401k match is great and the benefits are nice. The paid time off is better than most jobs for entry level employees. Supervisors and managers are great to work with.

Cons

High productivity standards create too much stress. Just because employees are capable of meeting high standards, doesn't mean they can do them every day. In comparison, just because a runner has the ability to run a marathon doesn't mean they should do it every day. Also, upper management appears to be out of touch with reality because there are similar jobs in the marketplace with lower productivity requirements that pay more money. Most of my co-workers would agree that the call center was much more fun several years ago. It felt like our manager had our best interests in mind and everything was kept running smoothly. I don't have anything against my existing manager, but it seems as though she has her hands tied by upper management.

Increase wages so that they are in line with productivity expectations. Hire more resources so that we're not always behind.

Change is in the air

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There has been alot of much overdue change happening at van Wagenen. We are being rewarded for hard work instead of everyone being treated the same regardless of effort. While it has been good for many associates, not everyone fits in the new culture. The volunteer program is fantastic. The staff at all levels is friendly and welcoming. The employee lounge was a nice addition.

Cons

There are still some people and practices from the past that need to change. We still are not getting enough coaching and communication in CS. Alot of change happening has caused some uncertainty. It can take awhile to get up to speed.

Keep empowering associates. We can only be as successful as our supervisors. The company seems to have turned the corner there is alot of work to do in continuing to create a better culture and place to work. Focus on getting more business.

Moving in the Right Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Social Responsibility is one of the core values of van Wagenen, and they live up to this by providing countless volunteer opportunities throughout the year. The company is gaining market share and moving in the right direction. Benefits are fair.

Cons

This is a unique niche of insurance products and services, so the learning curve for new hires is pretty steep.

Great companie with positive environment!!

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services

Pros

Great place to work at easy-going with new opportunities all the time, flexible hours, great training with the University of Minnesota. The staff always make you feel welcome

Cons

Nothing bad really my experience at VanWagenen was Good

Very positive, dynamic and challenging with very good employee recognition.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for development, innovation and volunteering. Great recognition awards and upper management is always open to suggestions and comments.

Cons

Because it is a small company the workload fluctuates, and at times can be almost overwhelming. Employees feel that some areas have more work than others, and although this is not entirely true, the pressure in some departments is higher than in others

I like the positive changes that upper management has been working on, specially innovation opportunities, core values, and performance recognition. The new culture is very positive, and it would be very helpful to introduce changes in a timely manner and with as much information as possible. Example would be new location.

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Leadership in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Leadership in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

The company has been working hard to improve the culture - we had a lot of training opportunities over the past year. There are opportunities to move up in your career - positions are posted and people are promoted.
    There have been a lot of changes - but many of them are positive. It does seem like employees are being trusted more to make decisions - and that we are very focused as a company on creating a positive employee and customer experience. Benefits have also improved a lot in the past couple of year - such as having paid volunteer days, tuition reimbursement, health club reimbursement, and now the APEX award and rencognition program.

Cons

With a lot of changes can come uncertainty which leads some people to feel stressed. We still need to break down some walls and help people understand how they fit into the big picture.

Continue to be transparent - have regular town hall meetings like we have been doing - share ideas with all employees and get their feedback. Everyone wants to feel included in decision making.

Customer Service

I worked at van Wagenen Financial Services

Pros

They are not many Pros. Some off the co- workers are nice and benefits are in line with other companies.

Cons

Management lacking skills and education. Executive level is not in touch with competition. This is an entry level company and pay scale reflects that. The president is very arrogant and lacks experience

Take a good look at areas that they are successful at and stick to that.

Opportunity for those who want it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is progressive, looking at new ways to do what they have come to be experts in. With the new leadership, there is a lot more transparency and a lot more openness to associate ideas and contributions. The company is very focused on growth and expansion which means if you look for it, there are opportunities. The parent, Bankers Financial Corporation, is a plus too - support of an even larger organization.

One of the best perks here right now - Two PAID volunteer days!

Cons

Benefits are ok, not the best/not the worst.

Data entry

I worked at van Wagenen Financial Services

Pros

I was given a lot of responsibility and a lot was expected of me. I was encouraged to push myself.

Cons

I was given more work than was always realistic to finish by one person. There was expectation to do more all the time without a lot of support.

A decent place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at van Wagenen Financial Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want stability, you can have it here. If you want to advance, there are opportunities but they tend to come rarely. Now under a larger company processes have changed and after a few changes and shakedowns the culture has improved and overall employees seem to see these changes positively and are looking forward to keep improving.

Cons

At some point nepotism was rampant.

You have adults working for you, keep empowering them. Try to stop the last bits of the old regime from stopping your fine progress.

van Wagenen Financial Services Photos