vcfo

Ellen Wood

Current Employee

Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at vcfo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture, supportive staff. With an excellent client base and reputation, it helps to open doors for new clients. Co-workers are professional, no gossip, no drama, everyone just does his or her job.

Cons

Work-live balance, it would be nice to work from the house 1 or 2 days a week.

Good for experience, not the best for work-life balance.

I worked at vcfo full-time

Pros

Great experience, very nice people. I find the clients to be appreciative, and very welcoming. Some leads have great synergy and are a pleasure to have on your team.

Cons

Not all your hours are "billable," and some leads can be more concerned about the hours you bill rather than the quality of work performed because they fear the client will balk at the hours. Felt clients were, at times, short-changed because of shifting project commitments.

By having compensation completely dependent on billable hours, it encourages an employee to take on too many projects, just to ensure a full paycheck. This short-changes a client in the end, and is not good for an employee as it encourages burn-out.

Great Experience

I have been working at vcfo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with talented and ethical management and peers
    Great reputation across markets
    Opportunity for growth

Cons

Could always benefit by expanding in more markets

Great place to add value to developing companies

Current Employee - Consulting Chief Financial Officer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Consulting Chief Financial Officer in Austin, TX

I have been working at vcfo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers wonderful access to local companies who need support and executive services but aren't ready or able to make commitment to fulltime employees

Cons

Rarely a set schedule and you can't always do what you know needs to be done while working with clients with limited resources and capabilities can be a challenge

Continue to find ways to bring our people together as a team.

Dynamic Company with an Intelligent Staff!

I have been working at vcfo

Pros

Incredibly entrepreneurial-minded executive leadership team.
    Very flexible work environment.
    Collaborative team structure.
    Subject-matter experts everywhere you look (who are actually willing to offer their experience and assistance whenever possible).

Cons

Bit of a smaller company (so far) with less brand recognition than others in similar arena(s).

Very happy to be a part of this talented team of professionals!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at vcfo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great group of people in the corporate office and in the field.
    Work/life balance is very manageable.
    Able to work in various facets of the business, which keeps my days full and different.
    Day to day interaction w/ upper management that actually listens and considers input from others.
    Supportive and collaborative work environment.

Cons

I would love to bring my dog to work!

In a word - okay, but I'm definitely much happier now that I'm no longer there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at vcfo

Pros

Flexibility of hours is probably the number one reason to work there. And depending on the clients to which you're assigned, you may luck out and actually gain some career enhancing experience.

Cons

Senior management is buried in the past. Communication terrible, training terrible, benefits terrible. Could be a great company to work if management would get out of it's own way and allow the company to move into the 21st century.

Giant step backward

Former Employee - Chief Financial Officer
    Former Employee - Chief Financial Officer

I worked at vcfo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, interesting clients, good way to broaden experience into multiple industries

Cons

They truly overpromise earning potential in the hiring process. It is a struggle to get enough billable hours. Management expects a lot of unpaid development time from the employees.

Provide more training to staff.

Disappointing. Nice people, not enough work

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer

I have been working at vcfo

Pros

Control your own schedule, gain excellent experience with a wide variety of companies

Cons

Not enough work available. They over promise salary level when hiring staff who are only paid as much as they are able to bill

An outstanding company in which to work and develop a career as a professional financial, HR, or recruiting consultant.

I have been working at vcfo

Pros

The breadth of opportunities to assist businesses across different industries is great. I have worked with established semiconductor, biotech, software, and medical device manufacturing businesses to name just a few of the engagements where I have provided support. Having the opportunity to work with a diverse set of customers has provided exposure to the particular financial, process, and transaction related needs of each customer. I don't think I would have come across such a variety of businesses/business modesl outside of my experience with vcfo. I've also enjoyed having a peer network within the company to be able to bounce ideas and solutions off of other team members who almost always have seen similar situations before.

Cons

Work schedules can be cyclical - some weeks will be heavier, others lighter in terms of hours. Definitley requires close attention to scheduling activities and coordination with other team members assisting the company's clients.

The company should continue to develop and provide its training and deploy systems/systems improvements to benefit the company's employees. The company has made investments in these areas in recent years which are invaluable resources to the delivery of services to the company's customers.