voestalpine Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Wolfgang Eder

Great company with driven team

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at voestalpine

Pros

Smart people; interesting contracts; 0 micromanagement; Room for growth

Cons

Corporate office is not organized and their management team/HR is often unresponsive / inadequate in most ways

2. Great insight into the steel industry

I worked at voestalpine

Pros

Learn a lot about a growing industry. Great headquarters

Cons

Language barrier if not fluent in German

Advice to Management

Incredible management. Very nice and understanding.

Not an easy employer to work for.

I have been working at voestalpine

Pros

Small enough U.S. division so that it is a more informal structure than other companies.

Cons

No standard procedure policies, no managerial direction.

Advice to Management

Make a decision, stop waiting for the problem to "go away".

5. I Worked on alot of awesome projects, the workers are great, took pride in knowing I helped design the Railroad.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer/CNC Programmer in Chicago Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer/CNC Programmer in Chicago Heights, IL

I worked at voestalpine (More than a year)

Pros

Good People, Good Pay, Food Truck was Nice, Huge Machines

Cons

A bit Cold In the Winter

Advice to Management

More Parties

My experience was great until hr rep changed.......2013 hr discrimination

Former Employee - CNC Machinst in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - CNC Machinst in Lafayette, IN

I worked at voestalpine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, able to move up in pay quicly

Cons

It seems that the human resource runs everything...supervisor has no say so....if she thinks you do not deserve to work there you will be terminated. Was terminated for days on attendance that were false....I won unemployment due to hr lies and no documents proving I was to work on weekend days.

Advice to Management

LET YOUR SUPERVISORS MAKE DECISIONS ON WHO STAYS OR GOES......AND NOT LEAVE ALL POWER TO HUMAN RESOURCE,,, I say this because SHE is not on floor to see what an asset to company you may have been. My supervisor went to hr and told her days were not to be on my attendance due to his account and she told him no the days were not being removed which lead to my demise.

7. Overall good environment and nice people to work with. The canteen is pretty good too.

I worked at voestalpine

Pros

Enjoy the people and the culture. Hours are pretty good too.

Cons

Did not learn very much since the paste is relatively slow

8. She is a result oriented person, a very good team player with strong communication skills.

Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Moscow (Russia)
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Moscow (Russia)

I worked at voestalpine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would recommend this company to a friend. Voestalpine is a worldwide market leader in it's field with high qualitative products, technology and service. There is a company with good traditions, corporate and organizational culture. I appreciated a positive work environment there.

Cons

Being proactive is always appreciated. It is important to have finger on the market pulse, strong competition.

An Amazing but Different Experience.

Former Employee - Don't Remember in Linz (Austria)
    Former Employee - Don't Remember in Linz (Austria)

I worked at voestalpine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice place to work. Nice colleagues. Community of faith. Attractive pay. Attractive challenge. Interesting projects indeed. From the perspective of a company in metal business one of the most attractive places to work.

Cons

From my perspective all the Cons mentioned now are Pros indeed. As other reviewers pointed out and will very likely point out the Austrian Way is never straight. The Austrian Way is a straight line through a labyrinth. The success of the voestalpine is simply a result from tearing down that labyrinth. The voestalpine is not following the Austrian way. The voestalpine people are a separate folk. The voestalpine is simply the biggest company, one of the few trusts in Austria and has undergone groundbreaking successful changes over a period of almost 30 years now. *) The company evolved from a former state driven company into a profitable private company. HR. The voestalpine is still undermined to a shrinking degree by the unions, which have been shareholders in the past (long time ago) and are stakeholders still. Sometimes compromises found are irrational. A historic constraint but disappearing more and more, step by step, day by day. Expecting guidance by the middle-management is not a good idea, since the lower the position in the hierarchy the higher the responsibility but you get all the tools to achieve your goals - do it on your own - no one will hinder you from doing so. We are not the French. Middle management does have 'nothing' to say when it comes to HR. Which is a big plus from my experience. Different kind of organization. Managers are directly involved into the core business. Their focus is on the core business and a required separation of forces. Help yourself and you are king. Be the Hun, take. Cook the soup or you are dark roasted. That's the steel business. Steel is not a child's game. You will not experience the global HR management style. Drawing rosy pictures of a future that will not come. The voestalpine will invest into your job and all take care that the future will come. That's my experience. Some clarification required Comment: 'austrians are so full of themselves, No. This is not Austria. We are the center of the world;) Some young people who just arrived at the battle field, when the battle was already won, think it's their glory too. Some walk over the battle field and think the reek of destruction, after the labyrinth had been taken down, would be a bonfire announcing their arrival. Those people you have everywhere in every bigger company. Austria has undergone a positive change away from socialism too. I observed that and that's one of the reason why I left. I loved the reek but the battle was won. 'salaries are not even for all employees on same positions' That's just normal. On an avg. a non academic in a similar position gets a compensation another way. If you are payed at the wage agreement level, you get more things for free. We already had the academic plague until the late 90s. Snootiness is not welcome. Imo nowhere. That's something the voestalpine got rid of hopefully forever.

10. austrian way is the only way for this job

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at voestalpine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

secure position, long-term job, the colleagues are like family due to the long period of working with each other, the job itself has something different each day, it is not all the same every day, traveling is part of the job

Cons

austrians are so full of themselves, salaries are not even for all emolyees on same positions, it depends in wich country you are sitting, the management must be austrian people and they are only changing countries in a circle

11. good work/life balance

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at voestalpine

Pros

decentralized you can feel your work is making a difference

Cons

promotion depended on your manager's decision

RSS Feed </> Embed