xbiotech usa
www.xbiotech.com Austin, TX

xbiotech usa Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014
xbiotech usa – Austin – “Main Lab, long view”

John Simard

Great place to work!

ProsThey have definitely made changes for the better. Great nurturing atmosphere.

ConsThe usual growing pains with any start-up but if you're flexible, this is a great environment to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make good changes for the overall growth and success of the company.

Destined for failure

ProsSome good, hardworking individuals. Great location. Good medical/dental benefits for SINGLE people.

ConsThe CEO has the ultimate say in all operations and he does not allow leadership to drive their own departments. The CEO is obviously building a company to sell, not a quality product to bring to market. Company is top heavy with the majority of scientific staff being Ph.D. The company has sacrificed the quality of its only product for the sake of time, never a positive directive. VC funded with no revenue stream, yet the company continues to burn money on non-critical operations and personnel. No room for personal growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire leadership who are qualified in their disciplines and promote from within when applicable. Give the internal experts the autonomy they need to generate a quality product rather that constantly cutting corners.

I left for a reason.

Austin, TX

ProsThe employees were nice and friendly.

ConsThe leadership was shady and clueless.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

roller coster

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat science, intelligent people, living in austin texas.

ConsMicromanage by incompetent people, no room for growth, no employee appreciation.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to employees, offer growth opportunities.

Worth it.

Austin, TX

ProsThere are some people there that simply, are the kind of people you grow up, looking up to. A certain Director of Manufacturing, Senior Director of CMC Compliance, and a Vice President for example. They make you want to be a better employee. And because of them, you are.

The people and the science. Both can be difficult at times. But both are worth it.

ConsIt is an unnecessarily difficult work environment. Stability is never really present with the many turnovers and shifts in direction. I left XBiotech happily because I got more peace of mind, in many forms, by not being there.

Many employees, far better than I, have been overlooked, and I can see many people not getting out what they put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly, truly invest in your employees. There are many who have truly earned it.

Do NOT work here

Human Resources Personnel (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsSmall company, so you can make an impact.

ConsI worked for XBiotech a few years ago and this place is the worst place I have ever worked for. I actually waited to write a review to see if my opinion of it would change and it didn’t. The CEO is paranoid and micromanages EVERYTHING, the HR Director is incompetent and the CEO’s puppet and many of the employees are dissatisfied. Be careful not to have conversations behind closed doors; the CEO will get paranoid and fire you on your off day with no warning!! This has happened more than once. No ethics, many compliance issues are broken. The HR Director actually said they don’t do things by the book but how they feel. I'm surprised no one has sued this company. Do yourself a favor and stay away!

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the CEO: People leave because of you micromanage and are paranoid. Your paranoia makes you think that people are against you or have ill intentions when that is not always the case. Deal with your issues and learn to trust your employees.

Fine

(Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosnew interesting science and technology

Conslow salary, not so good health care

Good first job, not for staying long.

Research Associate I (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsIt had relaxed and casual work environment. There were frequent, optional social events which were both outdoors and inside. The long term potential of the company looks great.

ConsThere is a lot of confusion going on throughout the lab. The stock options will not be available for some time, and the financial department isn't there yet. Pay seems below average to many.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is great motivation to enter into projects. Sometimes the monotany should be eased with more variety. There is a need for a route by which lower-level employees can communicate concerns to the management.

Entry Level Position

Senior Scientist (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsIt is a small company in Austin with many passionate, flexible people wanting to create next generation antibody therapeutics. The bulk of employees are hardworking and competent. Overall, the science is interesting.

ConsMiddle management is incompetent, too many supervisors and not enough qualified workers, no modern equipment, you have to buy everything yourself on Dovebid. Human Resources is practically not existing, Pay is not great, Benefits are not good, no 401k. Sometimes random RIFs.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in Management and prove to those that have been with Xbiotech from the beginning that you care about the workerbees. Do a better job. The company portfolio needs expansion, so far there is only one product.

Incompetent CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people work there, great technology, in Austin which is a great place to live.

ConsSmall startup funded by investor money, CEO doesn't have any biotech experience and is surrounded by inexperienced people, no future pipeline.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some more individuals with big pharma/biotech experience, offer better incentives to work there besides a paycheck.

Worked for xbiotech usa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at xbiotech usa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for xbiotech usa CEO John Simard. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by xbiotech usa employees.