zulily

zulily Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

zulily CEO Darrell Cavens

Darrell Cavens

Pros
  • Being a part of a rapidly growing company that is making history(in 12 reviews)

• Fun work environment, great people, very fast paced, never bored(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I do think those departments NEED help to allow them the same work life balance that some other get(in 7 reviews)

• Poor management is by far the greatest downfall of this entire organization(in 9 reviews)

Too big, too fast.

Customer Service Lead (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVibrant, creative and passionate group of young-ish professionals. Not the worst thing in the world to come to work everyday.

ConsHad to find out the hard way the difference between working for your future and working for the "man." Exec level management runs with whims and is rarely prepared to handle crisis.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people reasonable wages. Please.

If the walls could talk

ProsYour peers - non-leadership peers.

ConsThe compensation is horrid. The "raises" are insulting. This is not getting better. In fact, its actually getting worse. If you come in at the bottom, you stay at the bottom of the pay scale. Parking is almost $200 a month. For those that take public transportation, it's about $90. When you aren't making much, this can make a huge dent to your bottom line.

Management - TERRIBLE. No direction. They make decisions on a whim and your entire day can get turned upside down at any moment. We spend more time writing useless recaps on things instead taking a deep dive into the business and actually impacting change. It's useless busy work and does nothing to change the pattern of how we do things. The current group of "leaders" in place all talk about each other negatively. In all my years in this industry, I've never seen such behavior in a professional setting.

I haven't even been here that long and I've already seen 4 or 5 of my peers leave. People are leaving from all over the company. People are burned out, the morale is BAD (and again, management doesn't care), the compensation is a joke, - there's really not much left for people to want to stay. There's a lot of people who were here when the company started that are jumping ship. People aren't even waiting to stay until they get their stock. That says a lot.

We took a survey to give the company feedback. The solutions for compensation and recognition that came out of that survey are ridiculous! No zulily, we do not want to work day and night and our reward is "lunch with a member of leadership." WE WANT MONEY!!! Or BONUSES! Or money for parking/transportation!!! Or if you can't afford any of that, a simple day off would be terrific!

Recruiters are also incredibly active on this site. You can tell which reviews are done by them. That's all I will say.

Also, if you are planning on having a child and working here, do yourself a favor and walk away now. This is a company that sells to mom but does not actually take care of the mom's who work within the walls of the company. Maternity leave? Yeah not much. Your kid is sick? Get ready to hear about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou sell to a mom - take care of the mothers and mom to be's in your company.

Darrell and Mark - You have some poor hiring choices for managers. Ask HR for the recent Exit Feedback. You should have your answers there.

Pay your people! I'm putting in my notice at the end of this month because of wages. Overworked and underpaid. I would have stayed if I wasn't told how replaceable I am. There's a few buyers that have been with you since the beginning that are planning on leaving in December. No rewards or respect equals no retention.

"Unhappy? Go work somewhere else." (From the mouths of many supervisors)

Stylist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- a place to start if you have to start somewhere
    - some very nice peers
    - generous pto

Cons- absolutely horrible management-- completely unprofessional in every way, unorganized, useless, unsupportive, untrustworthy, moronic, heartless-- but great at micromanagement.
    - getting false information about your pay rate, raises and stock options
    - getting paid below a living wage
    - having your normal 830-5 schedule taken away with only a weeks notice
    - not being appreciated or compensated for years of hard work
    - being talked to like you are a child and continually disrespected
    - working in an unsafe, cramped and dirty studio environment

Advice to Senior Management- try treating your employees like you care about them
    (there is a disgustingly fake happiness and set of family based values that the CEO pushes at company meetings but is the absolute opposite of how the company actually operates on the ground level)
    - pay people for what they are worth
    - hire people with a creative background to manage your creative department
    - listen to your employees when they have suggestions
    - have better training for management, ensure they understand what harassment is and what appropriate workplace communication should be

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A taste of the start-up world

ProsOne of my main reasons for coming here was to experience the environment and culture of a growing start-up. I am surrounded by bright, passionate, dedicated, and energetic people. I believe in the company values and our continued efforts in forging a standalone spot in the ecommerce space. I love hearing unsolicited comments from customers about how great our products, selection, and service are. The energy here is great.

ConsThe exciting thing (and hard thing) about working in a start-up is working in ambiguity and constant change. There are processes, programs, and structure still being built which can get frustrating at times. However, you have a voice and opportunity to be part of the building process which is fantastic.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe move at "zulily" pace which is freaky fast. But, as our employee population skyrockets and work around the clock to make sure our events successfully go live each and every day, we need to stop and reward and recognize our employees for their efforts. This includes compensation, appropriate goal setting, career development, mentorship, project and stretch assignment opportunities, and individual recognition.

Can't Believe How Awful It Is

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI like my coworkers from my team and other divisions, but not the supervisors who have no idea what they're doing. To be fair, they don't really get training or coaching to help them along and that's the company's fault.

Conszulily is like hell on earth. Okay, that's an exaggeration. But I hope I never, ever have to work at such a terrible company again. Literally every single person who sits around me pings me every week about how much they hate working at zulily and how badly they want to leave. It's an open secret that everyone is looking elsewhere. My team has an after-work study group where everyone gets together to work on resumes to submit to other companies. I have known people who quit with no job lined up because they hated it so much, they couldn't take it anymore. And these aren't just from my team - they're from departments across the company. I think the only really happy people are the developers.

Why do employees quit? Because you're treated as expendable - ridiculously low pay, ridiculously long hours, and no appreciation. It's an open secret that in most departments, they only want you to stay for two years because it's cheaper to hire you cheap and throw you away. I know someone who was talked to about this two-year rule and then handed a book on applying to new jobs. Talk about employee appreciation!

The company will also make you work long, long hours, and make you come in on holidays without any compensation at all. I'm not even joking. When they asked me to come in and work a full day during a COMPANY HOLIDAY that most departments get to take off, I asked whether we would get extra pay, or a comp vacation day, or anything of the sort. They told me that because I was salaried, I would get nothing at all for coming in to work a full day during a holiday that they've promised employees would have off. Some of the jobs are only salaried because they figured out that it's cheaper to overwork you to death on a salary than to pay you overtime.

The CEO seems nice at first but then you realize he's out to suck people dry. There is very, very little opportunity to move up or to different departments because they hire outsiders and you're racing so fast to get everything done, you have no time to learn new skills. You'll also be lied to multiple times by the company. They'll claim they're forced by the city of Seattle to take away your sick days, they'll claim their health insurance forced them to start charging employees for their plans, it goes on and on. Don't buy any of it. It's sad to have to be so suspicious and question your company's every word, but that's how it goes when you're working here.

If you're thinking about coming to zulily for the experience and then leaving, forget about it. 1. I've watched multiple people get demoted because the company puts no effort into helping their employees grow. 2. zulily is gaining a reputation as a terrible place to work, and as a place that hires ill-qualified people because they can't get anyone better. 3. All of your coworkers are frantically trying to leave, so that position you applied to? At least three of your peers are probably trying for the same place.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have your work cut out for you!

Packer,arrivals,purest,shipping

Packer (Former Employee) Groveport, OH

ProsThe pay rate was good

ConsThe company sucks they don't worry about the employees. Used them than throw them away. Take 2years of your life. After being their for 2years 4months

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication

Great place to be

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsSmart, uber-dedicated people. Terrific leadership. Great company that focuses on doing all of the right things to grow fast but without the stress and pressure that other ecommerce companies experienced during their fast growth.

ConsThis is still as start up company, so lots of infrastructure hasn't been built yet. It's a great place for people who want to innovate and build, but not a good place for people who don't deal well with ambiguity.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on doing all the stuff we're doing to delight Mom!

Wonderful People. Great Opportunity for Career Growth. No money....

Editorial Photographer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYoung, fresh, happy group of people. Fun environment. Rapid company expansion creates plenty of opportunities to excel in your career

ConsThe pay is not at all competitive. expect to get paid 20-40% less than in other companies. They tend to use the "start up" excuse a little too often.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they're worth. All of the employees worth anything around here are looking for jobs elsewhere....

Work hard and reap the rewards

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe ability for growth is amazing! If you work hard, prove you've got the chops to be a great asset and contributor to the company and your team, your options for growth are unstoppable! Management is available, helpful and wonderfully supportive and motivating. The work life balance is great! I never feel as though I need to check my email over eating dinner with my family. The teamwork is rock solid and everyone lifts everyone else to succeed. The benefits offered are great too! The HDHP sounds scary but when put to use is wonderfully easy and offers great coverage!

ConsThings change in zulily time which means you HAVE to be able to go with the flow and take the time to relearn somethings to the new and improved process but that all comes with being part of the fastest growing ecommerce company in the world!

Never a dull moment at zulily!

Studio (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people who work at zulily are so welcoming, funny and innovative. It's a fast-paced and creative environment. I love being a part of a company that's not afraid to take risks and views mistakes as learning experiences that make us better. The management genuinely cares about their people. You'll work hard, but I've never had better work-life balance! Lots of opportunity for growth as well!

Conszulily moves quickly and is best for people who are extremely comfortable with constant change and ambiguity. It's still a pretty new company, constantly learning and playing catch up as we learn what support our fast-growth needs. You have to think on your feet and be confident-- some people might desire more clearly defined processes if they're coming from a strict, corporate environment.

Worked for zulily? Contribute to the Community!