zulily

zulily Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

zulily CEO Darrell Cavens

Darrell Cavens

Pros:
  • "Growing company that is providing a good solid opportunity for those employees who have a strong work ethic"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Fun work environment, great people, very fast paced, never bored"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "I do think those departments NEED help to allow them the same work life balance that some other get"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Poor management is by far the greatest downfall of this entire organization"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Accounts Payable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery cordial atmosphere, Management brings in food often, free tea/coffee, good light-hearted culture, and vast opportunities to learn and grow.

ConsThe department relies on temp workers. They also underpay and overwork all of their employees. If you don't keep up, you are out of there. They emphasize speediness over accuracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it might be cheaper in the short run to have a high-turnover for your temp-employees, but give them incentive to stay and you might see some returns later on (monetary and intangible).

Not the greatest

ProsFun, young and laid back atmosphere. Good learning for bigger and better things.
    Lots of on the job training. Apparently gives quarterly raises.

ConsOverworked, underpaid. No follow through on issues or concerns.
    Used to be fun and light hearted, but now they just pretend.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people working 10 hour days, and reward them with more then a lunch every quarter. Stop answering questions with "we are a start up". We are an international, publicly traded company.

Flag Review
    zulily Senior Recruiter responded to this review Jul 10, 2014 EditDelete

Great Stepping Stone

ProsZulily is an extremely exciting work environment with many young, motivated employees, as well as many experienced, intelligent employees. The recent IPO has been exciting and a wonderful experience to be a part of. The opportunities for growth are pretty good. If you work hard, promotions are available. These promotions usually don't come with a big pay bump unfortunately....

ConsThe pay is horrible. There is a general sense of frustration and under-appreciation across all levels and departments, with the exception of upper management and the executives. The imbalance between what the execs are raking in and the pitiful, poverty level pay that lower level employees are making is pretty grotesque. After the recent IPO, and seeing the press releases of the "IPO winners", we all now know the worth of those individuals, and while we appreciate and admire the work it took to get where they are, it is very discouraging when many employees are making below $25k a year. A livable wage would be nice.....especially considering the insane amount of hours that employees put into this company to ensure that the site continues to run with new product offered every day. Extreme under-appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the work that your employees are putting in. Don't force them to take second jobs because they love the company but can't afford to work there alone. Cost of living is going up consistently, and employers need to be acting accordingly. Start investing some of those millions into the workers that keep this company running.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's alright.. Temporarily.

Styling Assistant (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsVery laid back atmosphere. You won't be micro-managed.

ConsPrepare for ambiguity and astonishing levels of unprofessionalism.

Too wild a ride to capture in a few words

Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsFull ownership of your position and method of working. The busy, hectic environment can easily make you feel like you and everyone is headed somewhere great at a fast clip. The environment and corporate philosophy have led to experiences I wouldn't trade for any title or compensation package.

ConsFast growth leads to a lot of things being missed or ignored until the problem becomes critical. Not so great watching once enthusiastic coworkers lose their sense of accomplishment and self-worth over the long haul.

Advice to Senior ManagementPhenomenal start, kudos. Maybe think about finding ways to continue pushing employees to realize their potential and continue the great path Zulily is on, but you might try going about it in a way that involves fewer warnings of dire consequences and more along the lines of trust and faith in employee ability and desire to succeed.

Rewards drivers, workaholics and shining personalities.

Studio Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsRewards workaholics. Fun, youthful environment. Encourages ownership. Startup feel. Gives people a chance to shine.

ConsGenerates workaholics. Good ideas don't always get recognized. Offers wages of a startup. Few defined pathways for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnite Merch and Creative with common incentives/goals. Give supervisors more ability to reward positive performance. Don't skimp on Tech.

Great place to work!

Senior Recruiter (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe people are friendly and smart! The company embraces change and creativity. I love it here!

ConsEven though the business has grown tremendously over the past 4 years, zulily is still technically a start up...this may not be a perfect setting for everyone.

This company demands long hours of sometimes tedious work, but a great company for the right fit.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company culture is great for the right fit. A young company that moves quickly, allows your to be constantly problem solving if you like that.

ConsThe management doesn't always clearly explain their expectations. The CEO talks about moving fast and being okay with occasionally making mistakes, but management seems to expect perfection.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiving a little more help to your employees will give them a better shot at success.

Fast paced, no BS

ProsGreat management team with solid understanding of how to get things done. Values great employees. Stays connected with employees via weekly all-hands meetings and hallway visits.

ConsHigh expectations are placed on employees. Be prepared to work very hard. Not too many job perks compared to other tech companies with the same hard working atmosphere.

Learned a few things, made some great connections.

Sample Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsHealth care, stock options (but not many to make it worth it for those in "lesser" roles). Many of the people there are awesome and do their best despite the lack of gratitude from upper management. Semi-frequent events designed to create community (and bribe us in forgetting how little we're paid), but those are few are far between these days.

ConsVery intense physically + emotionally - demanding work for little compensation/reward for achievements. Minuscule raises. With the Chairman of the Board standing to make 1.5 billion on his shares of this company they could afford to pay a livable wage, but decide not to. It's unfortunate that they don't, since they constantly lose good people because they seek a better living elsewhere. While there are many lovely people there, it's also true that some are not so nice and at times I've seen petty, childish, backstabbing behavior rewarded by supervisors or leads. Overall more bad than good. At one time this place was somewhere you could carve out a place for oneself and earn at the very least a title change that would be advancement to another company after paying your dues at zulily. Those days are gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people. Especially those who have been there over a year.

Worked for zulily? Contribute to the Community!

zulily Videos

zulily – Why Work for Us?

zulily is a retailer obsessed with bringing moms special finds every day - all at incredible prices. We feature an always-fresh curated collection for the whole family, including clothing, home decor, toys, gifts and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at zulily reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for zulily CEO Darrell Cavens . All 135 reviews posted anonymously by zulily employees.