zulily

Updated December 13, 2014
2.8

zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Pros
  • Being a part of a rapidly growing company that is making history (in 15 reviews)

• Because it's such a fast-paced, fast-growing company, it's a great place to get experience (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • To top it off the work/life balance is ZERO (in 11 reviews)

• Pay is low compared to similar jobs in Seattle (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Building and Growing Together

I have been working at zulily full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dynamic, exciting, creative, and busy. I love being part of something that is growing. This is a great place to work. Of all the companies I've worked for, zulily by far, is the one that is keeping me engaged the most. The energy at zulily is electric.

Cons

I have a bit of a commute, which was my choice. Outside of that, no other cons.

Great Culture, Great People

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked four different companies in the past. I spent more than five years at Microsoft, too. I can say that Zulily has the best culture and great people when I compared it to my previous companies. Zulily still keeps startup culture and invests fully in open source technologies. I am enjoying my time here in Zulily.

Cons

Compensation and benefits could be better.

Zulily Speed is no joke

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (less than an year)

Pros

While Zulily is a very chill place (come and go as needed, just get your work done) there is a term here called Zulily Time. That means move fast and don't worry about breaking things. Obviously you can't break the site and services, but small interruptions while seeking out better methods for getting things done aren't met with a shaming or beating, instead you just learn from your mistake and try again. It is very intimidating at first, but once you learn to live this way, things get really exciting.

Also you get all the free coffee you can handle.

Very low on the politics crap that some companies have, if you have an idea, and it will better the company, it will be heard to the top.

There is a gym on-site, not owned by Zulily, but available for free to all employees.

Cons

No soda machines. No ice machines. No cold water (there is room temp water or hot water). HR seems a little rough to interface with. HR seems a little afraid of humans. No paid transit. Parking in Seattle borders insane, and riding transit is the only real way to get to work. Parking as of now is $200/mo!

Hook up the employees with coffee alternatives. Water is nice, but cold water and soda with caffeine are better.

Rapidly growing company with lots of opportunities but you have to be independent and move FAST

Current Employee - Finance in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Finance in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management is very accessible - especially Darrell - we have WEEKLY company-wide meetings and all of his direct reports are required to be there. If you have an issue, you have your time to speak up. 1x1 meetings with managers are also required and it is up to you to make the most of that time. Most divisions have monthly or quarterly team-wide meetings as well.

Work/life balance is really good when you consider how fast the company is growing. Significantly better than Amazon.

There are really smart people here and you can learn a ton but you have to be open to change. The company is still very much in growth/evolution mode and you have to be ready to speak up and ask a whole lot of questions. Not a good place for you if you like structure and definitive direction.

Compensation and benefits are middle of the road relative to other companies in the industry. Equity upside is competitive for certain areas/roles. Quarterly comp discussions are encouraged. Opinions vary widely depending on your group, direct manager, etc. (as you can see from the other reviews). Have heard a lot of complaints for hourly positions. Seattle cost of living has been increasing rapidly which has been a big challenge for a lot of jobs in the area ($15 minimum wage requirement in 3 years should help!). We don't have shuttles that go right to your doorstep (we do have shuttles from public transportation...) but we are a fraction of the size of those companies and you're not stuck in a terrible, bureaucratic organization!

Cons

Middle management needs improvement. Executive leadership is really strong but doesn't seem to trickle down. There hasn't been as much focus on leadership/development. They are working to improve this - tons of new training programs, hiring in HR, but you still want to maintain that "start-up" feel - it's a delicate balance.

Disjointed experiences across divisions. This is not surprising when you compare people that work in studio with engineers. From what I've heard areas like merchandising have done a lot better since implementing a more succinct career path and buyer training program. Not consistent across areas.

Better transparency is needed around job expectations and career trajectory when hiring and from managers. Reward great talent and provide more mobility opportunities across areas. Hire stronger middle management and have them continue to push/communicate the "mission" throughout their organizations. Don't forget to take steps to continuously avoid bureaucracy.

An opportunity to make an impact

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-I like that things are hard here. There is no spoon feeding. Expectations are high and we move fast. It's motivating and when your work directly impacts the business and the future, it's rewarding.
    -Trying things is encouraged and there is no set way of doing things. The business is still in startup/growth mode, so getting things done can be a wild ride. Sometimes it moves fast and sometimes you have to deal with typical bureaucracy, but in general we look for ways to move quickly.
    -High level of autonomy for those that aren't afraid to live in that space. If you need to be managed, that is also available to you, but for those that can handle a long rope, it is certainly there for the taking.
    -Entrepreneurial
    -Really smart people doing fascinating things
    -There is a ton of opportunity as we grow. Career paths do not necessarily look typical but have the opportunity to cross departments.
    -It's not about title, it's about contribution.

Cons

-Growth can be challenging, especially at this pace. For those that can't handle things not being perfectly orchestrated, then this is a challenging environment.
    -The culture is in flux as we bring on more leaders across every department, each of which bring their own context and experiences to zulily. On-boarding new managers creates short-term turmoil (at times) until they settle in to their roles and their fit with the company.
    -Finding the right talent at this pace is difficult

Keep flexing with the employee base as the needs change over time. Stay disciplined in the details of making this business successful.

very fortunate to be around and a part of the growth

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many smart and experienced people to learn from across all divisions. While it can be a sink or swim environment, if you can swim, you'll go far.

Cons

Processes or asks from management can quickly change. I chalk this up to growing pains.

Highly Satisfied

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People, location, work load, growth opportunities

Cons

compensation, no commute compensation, free coffee is terible

Move Fast, Break Things?

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can't speak for the non-tech areas other than to say that the non-technical people seem happy. Working as a dev here is a blast. We have plenty of freedom to work with the technologies that we (as a group) find best suit our needs. There isn't a whole lot of top down direction on that front.

The leadership is exceptionally transparent for the most part; if you want to know why a decision was taken, they'll tell you what they were thinking and seem to seriously consider your input.

Cons

On-call and working in an open plan office.

Nobody wants to be on call, and some of the software that we support was, frankly, written when the company was 5 devs working 20 hours a day. We're re-writing that, but the process of replacing it is slow.

There aren't a whole lot of the little free perks that startup folks tend to expect. There is no free soda, we all pay for our own parking / bus passes, the locker room doesn't have towel service. It doesn't really get me down, but I wouldn't mind a bit more of that stuff.

Never a dull moment at zulily!

Current Employee - Studio in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Studio in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who work at zulily are so welcoming, funny and innovative. It's a fast-paced and creative environment. I love being a part of a company that's not afraid to take risks and views mistakes as learning experiences that make us better. The management genuinely cares about their people. You'll work hard, but I've never had better work-life balance! Lots of opportunity for growth as well!

Cons

zulily moves quickly and is best for people who are extremely comfortable with constant change and ambiguity. It's still a pretty new company, constantly learning and playing catch up as we learn what support our fast-growth needs. You have to think on your feet and be confident-- some people might desire more clearly defined processes if they're coming from a strict, corporate environment.

product stylist

Current Employee - Product Stylist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Stylist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily

Pros

Great people!!! Happy atmosphere. Everyone is very supportive of each other. Great training program. Good pay and GREAT benefits. Moving to such a beautiful building.

Cons

I don't have any cons so far.