zulily Reviews

220 reviews filtered by
2.7
zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Pros
  • Being a part of a rapidly growing company that is making history (in 15 reviews)

• Because it's such a fast-paced, fast-growing company, it's a great place to get experience (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • To top it off the work/life balance is ZERO (in 11 reviews)

• Pay is low compared to similar jobs in Seattle (in 6 reviews)

Not what expected

Current Employee - Buying in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Buying in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily

Pros

Great benefits, passionate CEO, good people

Cons

Not what expected, little ownership with a lot of accountability, inconsistent

Advice to Management

Need bench strength and change in Roles and responsibilities

2. zulily is a great place to learn and grow as a professional

I have been working at zulily

Pros

-fast-paced
    -growing
    -smart motivated people
    -great office culture

Cons

-growing very fast can be challenging

3. An amazing opportunity!

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

zulily has been an exhilarating ride. It's a rapidly growing organization where people are smart, work hard, and have a lot of fun. It's bustling with creativity and innovation, yet it is highly data driven and strives for optimization. The company is still new and (relatively) small, so there is plenty of opportunity here to make a substantial impact in contrast to a massive conglomerate where your range of influence is very small.

The atmosphere/dress is very casual and people are not wound-up in their titles. Senior leadership is very approachable and not interested in micro-management. Your manager will not know or desire to know every granular detail of what you do--they allow you to own your workload and execute within your own judgment.

When you come up against challenges, there are resources available and you just need to leverage them appropriately. People are generally very helpful and willing to make time to collaborate on cross-functional projects.

You will be expected to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability. You will be expected to take ownership of things if you want it to change. You will be asked to do things that don't always seem possible. You will need to be resourceful. Your hand will not be held.

Cons

There are always going to be cons. No place is perfect. If it was perfect, it would be boring and there'd be no complex problems to solve.

Sometimes the "To Do" list gets really long. Sometimes things move too fast. Sometimes the infrastructure isn't there. Sometimes people are still figuring things out. Sometimes you have to listen to millennials moan about how they paid too much for their art degree. Sometimes you have to put your headphones on because there's a crying baby on set 5. Sometimes the elevator takes FOREVER because they're moving samples. Sometimes the coffee machine is broken, so you opt for the free Tazo tea. Sometimes you have to come in early and go home late.

If those types of things set you back in your career, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

You've done a great job providing the vision and then moving out of the way. You've done well to focus on scalability and optimization. Don't forget to invest in training/development for your management and supervisors as we grow and scale larger.

Great place to work, learn, have fun!

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily

Pros

Projects, environment, people, location, recognition

Cons

Benefits, no sick days, no parking reimbursement

6. Building and Growing Together

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic, exciting, creative, and busy. I love being part of something that is growing. This is a great place to work. Of all the companies I've worked for, zulily by far, is the one that is keeping me engaged the most. The energy at zulily is electric.

Cons

I have a bit of a commute, which was my choice. Outside of that, no other cons.

7. Great Culture, Great People

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked four different companies in the past. I spent more than five years at Microsoft, too. I can say that Zulily has the best culture and great people when I compared it to my previous companies. Zulily still keeps startup culture and invests fully in open source technologies. I am enjoying my time here in Zulily.

Cons

Compensation and benefits could be better.

Zulily Speed is no joke

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While Zulily is a very chill place (come and go as needed, just get your work done) there is a term here called Zulily Time. That means move fast and don't worry about breaking things. Obviously you can't break the site and services, but small interruptions while seeking out better methods for getting things done aren't met with a shaming or beating, instead you just learn from your mistake and try again. It is very intimidating at first, but once you learn to live this way, things get really exciting.

Also you get all the free coffee you can handle.

Very low on the politics crap that some companies have, if you have an idea, and it will better the company, it will be heard to the top.

There is a gym on-site, not owned by Zulily, but available for free to all employees.

Cons

No soda machines. No ice machines. No cold water (there is room temp water or hot water). HR seems a little rough to interface with. HR seems a little afraid of humans. No paid transit. Parking in Seattle borders insane, and riding transit is the only real way to get to work. Parking as of now is $200/mo!

Advice to Management

Hook up the employees with coffee alternatives. Water is nice, but cold water and soda with caffeine are better.

Rapidly growing company with lots of opportunities but you have to be independent and move FAST

Current Employee - Finance in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Finance in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is very accessible - especially Darrell - we have WEEKLY company-wide meetings and all of his direct reports are required to be there. If you have an issue, you have your time to speak up. 1x1 meetings with managers are also required and it is up to you to make the most of that time. Most divisions have monthly or quarterly team-wide meetings as well.

Work/life balance is really good when you consider how fast the company is growing. Significantly better than Amazon.

There are really smart people here and you can learn a ton but you have to be open to change. The company is still very much in growth/evolution mode and you have to be ready to speak up and ask a whole lot of questions. Not a good place for you if you like structure and definitive direction.

Compensation and benefits are middle of the road relative to other companies in the industry. Equity upside is competitive for certain areas/roles. Quarterly comp discussions are encouraged. Opinions vary widely depending on your group, direct manager, etc. (as you can see from the other reviews). Have heard a lot of complaints for hourly positions. Seattle cost of living has been increasing rapidly which has been a big challenge for a lot of jobs in the area ($15 minimum wage requirement in 3 years should help!). We don't have shuttles that go right to your doorstep (we do have shuttles from public transportation...) but we are a fraction of the size of those companies and you're not stuck in a terrible, bureaucratic organization!

Cons

Middle management needs improvement. Executive leadership is really strong but doesn't seem to trickle down. There hasn't been as much focus on leadership/development. They are working to improve this - tons of new training programs, hiring in HR, but you still want to maintain that "start-up" feel - it's a delicate balance.

Disjointed experiences across divisions. This is not surprising when you compare people that work in studio with engineers. From what I've heard areas like merchandising have done a lot better since implementing a more succinct career path and buyer training program. Not consistent across areas.

Advice to Management

Better transparency is needed around job expectations and career trajectory when hiring and from managers. Reward great talent and provide more mobility opportunities across areas. Hire stronger middle management and have them continue to push/communicate the "mission" throughout their organizations. Don't forget to take steps to continuously avoid bureaucracy.

An opportunity to make an impact

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I like that things are hard here. There is no spoon feeding. Expectations are high and we move fast. It's motivating and when your work directly impacts the business and the future, it's rewarding.
    -Trying things is encouraged and there is no set way of doing things. The business is still in startup/growth mode, so getting things done can be a wild ride. Sometimes it moves fast and sometimes you have to deal with typical bureaucracy, but in general we look for ways to move quickly.
    -High level of autonomy for those that aren't afraid to live in that space. If you need to be managed, that is also available to you, but for those that can handle a long rope, it is certainly there for the taking.
    -Entrepreneurial
    -Really smart people doing fascinating things
    -There is a ton of opportunity as we grow. Career paths do not necessarily look typical but have the opportunity to cross departments.
    -It's not about title, it's about contribution.

Cons

-Growth can be challenging, especially at this pace. For those that can't handle things not being perfectly orchestrated, then this is a challenging environment.
    -The culture is in flux as we bring on more leaders across every department, each of which bring their own context and experiences to zulily. On-boarding new managers creates short-term turmoil (at times) until they settle in to their roles and their fit with the company.
    -Finding the right talent at this pace is difficult

Advice to Management

Keep flexing with the employee base as the needs change over time. Stay disciplined in the details of making this business successful.

11. very fortunate to be around and a part of the growth

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many smart and experienced people to learn from across all divisions. While it can be a sink or swim environment, if you can swim, you'll go far.

Cons

Processes or asks from management can quickly change. I chalk this up to growing pains.