zulily

Updated December 19, 2014
2.8

zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Pros
  • Being a part of a rapidly growing company that is making history (in 15 reviews)

• Because it's such a fast-paced, fast-growing company, it's a great place to get experience (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • To top it off the work/life balance is ZERO (in 11 reviews)

• Pay is low compared to similar jobs in Seattle (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A zu indeed!

I worked at zulily

Pros

Company has a clear idea of who they are, and continue to build upon that success.

Creativity and innovation is welcomed. Relaxed, young, and vibrant working environment. Having fun at work is encouraged.

Great coworkers, good CEO who has great plans for moving company into future.

Cons

No work/life balance. Hours are long, either at office or home at night on laptop & weekends. Once you start working here, it's as if you signed a deal with the devil.

They do not pay you enough to work the hours you end up putting in. Raises are pitiful.

Communication is very tense between Seattle and Ohio buying offices from middle management downward, even though future plans are to make Ohio the larger of the two. Although there is Executive support, the competition and bad behavior from Seattle mgt buyers make working conditions unbearable at times.

used to be a good, fun place to work - not anymore

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll learn a lot:
      - Learn how to manage stress - you will be working on many projects at the same time and many people asking for everything at the same time.
      - Learn new technologies - it might not be the correct way, but you'll learn about them
    Employee discount (basically covers tax and shipping) - although, can't be used on the 1st day of an event
    Freedom to set up your system any way you'd like
    Great view!
    There are some very bright engineers - but they are starting to leave

Cons

Expect to work long hours / days (10 hrs / day is very common)
    Also expect managers to ask you to cancel your weekend plans so that you can work more. I have 3 bosses, it litterally is Office Space!
    If you're invited to a team lunch expect to pay for yourself
    Other days, expect to have lunch at your desk (late in the afternoon) and expect people to ask you questions to look at things and help them while you're having your lunch. If you leave to have lunch somewhere, expect your phone to filled with calls, emails, and txts.
    Not close to bus routes - and parking is expensive
    Don't expect to get a raise (they give 3% / yr no matter how your annual review goes)
    Don't expect a promotion - company tends to hire from outside instead of promote from within
    Expect to fix problems created by other people... build code move onto another project - senior engineers come back around to fix the issues and then get blamed for why it isn't working.
    Pay is below average
    Since managers are new and don't know how things work, their time estimates are way off and then they get after you for not meeting the deadlines
    It's a company that believes in building code fast - no QA. And it doesn't matter if it's the best way or if it scales, it just needs to work.
    People that work there have no boundaries or manners - expect your name to be yelled out across the floor to work on something, and people will even ask you questions while you're in the bathroom.

Figure out the root causes of problems before bubbling up the issue! - see, what happens is that management doesn't know how anything works, so if there's a problem they notify everyone and escalate the issue - many times before doing due diligence on what the problem is or where it's coming from.
    Management tends to cause more headaches and escalate things than what really is necessary.
    Managers tend to call/email/text early in the morning regarding issues that might not even be what you work on (or know about), but they'll point the finger and blame you because you're not working onit or fixing it fast enough.

Ok company but not a good fit for me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at zulily

Pros

Very good starting pay rates.

Cons

Too busy and unorganized to conduct proper training

Slow down and get people properly trained before you throw them to the wolves.

Okay place to work, but very insular

Current Employee - Operations Generalist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Generalist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, good food available for purchase at cafeteria, offers health benefits, work-life balance is good

Cons

Compensation is atrocious, no sense of ownership of job, each department is very insular, hard to move within the company

something special

I have been working at zulily

Pros

fast paced environment with opportunity to go up

Cons

not a lot of positive recognition

engage your people more on all levels.

Building and Growing Together

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dynamic, exciting, creative, and busy. I love being part of something that is growing. This is a great place to work. Of all the companies I've worked for, zulily by far, is the one that is keeping me engaged the most. The energy at zulily is electric.

Cons

I have a bit of a commute, which was my choice. Outside of that, no other cons.

Temping at zulily

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Temping at zulily was my fist foray into working in a corporate environment. I was pleasantly surprised by how vibrant and open the atmosphere was. zulily employees are overwhelmingly smart and creative and- though I still found it hard to break into my department's social element- most people were extremely encouraging and approachable. The work was fast-paced and somewhat challenging, which is addictive for self-competitive people with strong work ethics. Everyone works hard, but they also play hard (i.e. cupcakes and champagne, free lunch & breakfast every few weeks), and I never felt as though my work life encroached upon my personal life. I 'm sure this varies depending on the department and role, however.

Cons

As far as cons are concerned, this company has a few things to sort out. Although I was happy with my pay rate, many of the people employed in the upper echelons of zulily are overworked and paid below market rate. While the CEO and many others like to play the "start-up" card, this company is four years old and just cleared $1 bn in revenue: It's time to start compensating people appropriately for the work that they do.

Well balanced, innovative place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are great to work with and have diverse backgrounds; particularly from big time retailers here in the Seattle area. Upper management allows you to be innovative with no limits and encourages creativity and trying new ideas. The executives within the company truly care about the well-being of employers and know what they're doing. I would highly recommend anyone apply.. Well not anyone, zulily only wants top talent!

Cons

They don't pay as competitive as other big retailers in the area. Although, it is more laid back and I've heard the work life balance is better than other retailers. Also, things are always changing so be ready to take a quick right turn at the drop of a hat!

Keep doing what you're doing!

RUN FAR FAR AWAY

Former Employee - Editorial Photographer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Editorial Photographer in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees are young and naive, willing to work themselves to the bone for zero recognition. Everyone starts out excited and motivated, soon to be sucked dry by long hours and little pay.

Cons

Terrible unqualified gossipy management, no career development, less than living wage pay, $20/day for employee parking, no transportation assistance, unaffordable cafeteria, absolute nightmare of a work place. Go somewhere else. Somewhere where they will appreciate your skills and treat you like a person not a robot.

Get a clue. Hire some smart people for once and recognize those who are working themselves silly rather than turning the studio into a popularity contest based on sucking up rather than talent and hard work.

Great Culture, Great People

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked four different companies in the past. I spent more than five years at Microsoft, too. I can say that Zulily has the best culture and great people when I compared it to my previous companies. Zulily still keeps startup culture and invests fully in open source technologies. I am enjoying my time here in Zulily.

Cons

Compensation and benefits could be better.