zulily Reviews

Reset
2.6
zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Pros
  • It's a growing company and I have a positive outlook for the company as a whole (in 15 reviews)

• It's a fast-paced and creative environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • To top it off the work/life balance is ZERO (in 11 reviews)

• The pay is low and some jobs require later shifts or for you to work on the weekends (in 6 reviews)

1. Three cheers for the Studio

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily

Pros

You get to work downtown and the photography studios are wonderful. Everyday, super cute kids come in to twirl around on camera and get their picture taken for the website. It's guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Cons

Just ask anyone at the company. They tend to be fairly honest.

2. Thin line between love and hate...

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Gahanna, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Gahanna, OH

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, great people, and great management! This is my favorite job! I love coming into work everyday, and being able to actually enjoy what I do! I really like the values we have as a company for our customers, and being able to truly make things right for them. There's not a lot of micro managing. Being recognized for going above and beyond is nice, and to opportunity to move up is great! A lot of recognition!

Cons

As most current and previous employees ave said, pay!! We are overworked and very underpaid. At my current position, I could go to another call center and make an extra $5/hour! I also feel like the pay levels for certain positions are not proportioned with the job duties. I believe that sometimes many issues are swept under the rug, and not addressed, while less urgent matters are taking precedence.

Advice to Management

UPPER MANAGEMENT-- Pay us a little more!! Pay according to the work we do, and get a better raise/bonus system in place for customer service. Management-- Recognize the employees that go above and beyond their required duties. Appreciate the employees that do more than they have to do. I feel like the employees that just do enough to get by, and keep their job are the ones being praised and acknowledged. The ones that do anything that's asked and way more then what they have to, get nothing. My biggest complaint is just the pay! I feel that we should be better compensated for what we do here.

3. Underpaid, undervalued but fun

I have been working at zulily full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment. Acknowledge achievements and fun team-building activities

Cons

Underpaid, undervalued. High turn-over rate.. The best team members are always looking for better opportunities elsewhere. Can be gossip-y and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Advice to executives: pay ALL of your full-time employees a livable wage. Working retail or in service pays more.

Do not work for product studio

Current Employee - Product Studio Creative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Studio Creative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome creative co workers. Nice new facility.. Somewhat fun atmosphere. Good for making connections with people, because chances are you will find hundreds of people in Seattle that have worked here but moved on because the company treated them so poorly.

Cons

All of middle management and HR are terrible to their employees. Inadequate compensation. Also zulily doesn't believe in proper raises.. You will maybe get 2% if you get promoted, the company doesn't believe in quarterly or yearly raises for your continued hard work. Also because people have been writing poor reviews for zulily on glass door, HR has written many of the 5 star reviews given to zulily on glass door. Please do not work here if you value your self worth, family, or future.

Advice to Management

Please find managers and supervisors that actually have experience in the department they manage. For example previous Starbucks managers should not be managing creative individuals or a photography studio. Also call layoffs what they are. The company has been laying off people for months and then firing them for little to no reason, leaving them with no options for unemployment.

Great Job

I have been working at zulily part-time

Pros

Health care, dental care, vision care, 401 k plan, paid sick and vacation leave.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Sample coordinator

I worked at zulily

Pros

Get to work with some cool people! Lots of talented and ambitious people at Zulily.

Cons

Everyone is terribly underpaid at Zulily. Their system for earning a raise is laughable. You will be hired on with a promise of frequent promotions and that simply is untrue. Should you be so lucky as to get a promotion, you will likely only make $2/hr more and not enough to live off of in an expensive city like Seattle.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap and pay your employees livable wages.

Back away from the job application...

Former Employee - Merchandising
    Former Employee - Merchandising

I worked at zulily full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most coworkers are nice, friendly Merchandise discount Generally fun atmosphere Extremely passionate customer base Instant gratification for merchants - negotiate a deal on product, see it on the site within days, see real-time sales results

Cons

Where to begin - as many have stated, work/life balance is pretty much non-existant. In most departments (merchandising in particular), you are "on-call" 24/7 and can expect many interruptions to your evenings & weekends (and even middle of the night - yay!) dealing with both internal and vendor shenanigans that come along with this particular business model. Regarding senior management, it feels like amateur hour. For the most part, those that were brought on in the very beginning quickly rose through the ranks, and are now woefully inadequate and/or unqualified to hold such positions in what has become such a large company. For this reason, big decisions get made on a whim and company/department objectives and priorities change so fast your head will spin. Unfortunately for some, there is no system in place to either reward top performers or weed out the duds. Many employees with the exact same job title have drastically different workloads and performance expectations - not to mention salaries. You will spend your time either feeling bad for the unappreciated or wondering how in the heck some people even still work there. For both office locations and at all levels of the division, employees are underpaid vs. market value. Speaking of overworked & underpaid, good luck trying to get any real effort out of cross-functional partners like Creative, Operations, or Accounting. They're in the same awful boat as Merch, but since their work isn't front-and-center on the internet 24/7, they really couldn't care less what you need and when you need it.

Advice to Management

Transparency - we're not stupid, everyone knows that the "stealth" lay-offs have happened and will continue to happen. At least be honest internally and maybe some of your over-hiring problems will be culled by attrition by those of us who are finally seeing the writing on the wall. Also, please consider paying employees market rate, and reward based on performance. It's practically unheard of in retail for merchants not to bonus on results - and I think you're finding out that you get what you pay for.

Bad place to work

Former Employee - Dock Lead in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Dock Lead in Reno, NV

I worked at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

can work with casual cloths

Cons

no hours one then 6 days the next and bad mangers

Advice to Management

learn to talk and interact with employees

Seasoned Picker/Packer

I have been working at zulily (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of overtime that's available

Cons

Long hours Micro managing from supervisors Management lack basic skills No respect Operation Managers on 2nd shift are not good leaders Training is great/It's all about the numbers

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have good managers who can lead people. The management don't care about the associates and really needs to engage with us. They lack the necessary skills to be successful leaders. Zulily is nothing but a buddy system and they need to find the right leaders but it starts at the top....Chris is not a good boss he is the problem. Major changes needs to be addressed at Zulily in Obetz.

Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gahanna, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gahanna, OH

I worked at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great environment -good people -good ethics -flexible schedule -great management - very receptive about ideas -lots of room for advancement -happy hour! -great support

Cons

My ONLY con was I would overwork my self for overtime hours . So not really any cons. One of my favorite jobs I have ever had

Advice to Management

None! Keep up the good work

RSS Feed </> Embed