zulily Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
208 reviews filtered by

If you want to bring the industry down as a whole, work here!..definitely stay away from the Creative Studio.

Former Employee - Photographer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free coffee. New gear and space to try lighting. Nice co-workers.

Cons

First off the Studio Mmgt has no experience in photo studios. Bean counter rejects from hell have been sent in to tick boxes, mind the time cards, get more crap images in less time and at less cost.
    They do not have art directors so merchandisers were giving the 'art' direction which leads to confusion, laughter and tears. The pay for Stylists there is a joke, under 20 per hour, Hair and MakeUp get less than the assistant stylists. Photogs start around 40k but that number has been dropping steadily as people catch wind and the talent pool dries up. I thought stock options would have been decent but I was mistaken. No raises after a years work. Silly job performance reviews administered by hapless 'supervisors' are designed to oppress. I think you do get raises to spy on co-workers, butt kiss and give smiley face kudos in the reply to all emails, though. Win!

You have to pay what's current and fair to create a daily homepage full of custom imagery. Talent will leave.

Don't work here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Contractor - AP Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - AP Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They have really good sample sales

Cons

Management is nonexistent here. The ones that play manager are in too much of a power position, and they take advantage of their employees. Upper management doesn't know what lower management is doing.

Having a manager that drives an entire team (that started with the company from day one) to quit, and not at least raise an eyebrow, shows why the company is falling.

Moderate opportunity for advancement does not make up for poor treatment at every level.

Former Employee - Customer Service Generalist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Generalist in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily

Pros

Extremely casual atmosphere- many of my coworkers came to work in sweatpants on a regular basis. If you're at all competent, there are some opportunities to learn new skills and to advance quickly. My favorite thing about this company was my co-workers.

Cons

Compensation for every conceivable position under the executive level was far under industry standard. Raises were infrequent, and extremely arbitrary. Promotions were subject to nepotism. Due to this combination of factors, retention was a constant problem- so much so that most of my managers had no idea what my job was. Ultimately this led to my whole team being considered "redundant" and downsized without any backfill set up. While there is opportunity to learn new skills, these skills are usually learned ad hoc on the job, outside of one's job description and do not result in a raise or any kind of reward. Most people in the company are expected to work unpaid overtime almost every week, sometimes up to twenty extra hours a week.

Listen to your employees before making serious process changes. Reward loyalty and competence. Increase base pay and guarantee regular raises.

All take, no give

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Because it does not require the relevant workplace experience most other Seattle area businesses do, the company provides a foot in the door for recent college graduates.

Cons

-Standards and protocol shift on a daily basis but are seldom enforced by the very divisions that roll them out. It's as though no one is keeping score.
    -Productivity is hobbled by ineffective middle management that is ill-equipped to address employee concerns and ultimately spouts corporate double speak: "we're crunching numbers"; "we want to be really transparent"; "we don't have visibility to that."
    -Mandatory overtime amounting to 20+ unpaid hours a week. If you refuse to stay beyond your contracted 8.5 hours, you will be written up or otherwise rebuked.
    -The company likes to project an image of "fun, young, and hip," but free pizza and the occasional party (which you won't have time to attend, because workload is never scaled back) do not make up for the constant crush of work and rampant disorganization.
    -Two to three mandatory meetings a day, each lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. These are usually without purpose and cut into the 10 hours worth of work you are tasked with every day.
    -It's not uncommon to have hours worth of work given to you late in the afternoon and to have management insist that you stay to complete it. Be assured that the managers will leave at 8 hours while you're still rushing to catch up.
    -No bonuses, raises, and rare promotions. Your hard work will be recognized with a surprise snack or a Starbucks gift card if it's acknowledged at all.
    -After all the unpaid overtime, management has the gall to ask what more you could give to the company in the way of creating projects, forming committees, etc.
    -You accrue PTO with each pay period, so it is earned as you go, not given up front. And whether in the form of a payout or vacation/sick days, all of it is withheld from you the moment you put in your notice.

Working occasional overtime is fine, but don't confuse an employee with a volunteer. A salaried employee should not feel compelled to work 60 hours every week.
    Maybe if you axed some of the inane middle management jobs and streamlined your infrastructure, you could afford to pay your buyers, photographers, accountants, and technicians a livable wage.

6. Great atmosphere

Current Employee - Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at zulily

Pros

We are striving to do great things for our customers. The representatives have the ability to make a difference unlike some call centers. Agents that I speak to on a daily basis feel as if they have the empowerment to go above and beyond. We have been steadily growing the call center, the merchandising team and the fulfillment center.

Cons

I have no complaints at this time.

My personal outlook is the business is doing the right things for the customer and for the employees. I hope that the growth continues so we can make big things happen.

7. An amazing opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (more than a year)

Pros

zulily has been an exhilarating ride. It's a rapidly growing organization where people are smart, work hard, and have a lot of fun. It's bustling with creativity and innovation, yet it is highly data driven and strives for optimization. The company is still new and (relatively) small, so there is plenty of opportunity here to make a substantial impact in contrast to a massive conglomerate where your range of influence is very small.

The atmosphere/dress is very casual and people are not wound-up in their titles. Senior leadership is very approachable and not interested in micro-management. Your manager will not know or desire to know every granular detail of what you do--they allow you to own your workload and execute within your own judgment.

When you come up against challenges, there are resources available and you just need to leverage them appropriately. People are generally very helpful and willing to make time to collaborate on cross-functional projects.

You will be expected to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability. You will be expected to take ownership of things if you want it to change. You will be asked to do things that don't always seem possible. You will need to be resourceful. Your hand will not be held.

Cons

There are always going to be cons. No place is perfect. If it was perfect, it would be boring and there'd be no complex problems to solve.

Sometimes the "To Do" list gets really long. Sometimes things move too fast. Sometimes the infrastructure isn't there. Sometimes people are still figuring things out. Sometimes you have to listen to millennials moan about how they paid too much for their art degree. Sometimes you have to put your headphones on because there's a crying baby on set 5. Sometimes the elevator takes FOREVER because they're moving samples. Sometimes the coffee machine is broken, so you opt for the free Tazo tea. Sometimes you have to come in early and go home late.

If those types of things set you back in your career, this is not the place for you.

You've done a great job providing the vision and then moving out of the way. You've done well to focus on scalability and optimization. Don't forget to invest in training/development for your management and supervisors as we grow and scale larger.

If you don't live in Ohio, don't work here.

Former Contractor - Operations Generalist in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Operations Generalist in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

People don't work very long hours and there is no expectation to work from home or on the weekends, the cafeteria has good, albeit a little expensive, food for breakfast and lunch, the energy in HQ is fun.

Cons

Huge lay offs of entire departments and hiring freezes with no transparency or warning, incredibly low wages especially for the seattle area, the only free things you get are water and bad coffee, no sense of ownership between departments everyone tries to pass it off to someone else, its nearly impossible to transfer internally.

Be honest to your employees about plans to lay people off and move jobs to Ohio. We know you are in deep water with your shareholders but have a little integrity to your employees.

Complete Chaos, Lack of Seasoned Leadership

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily

Pros

-company provides large amounts of responsibility to high-performing junior talent, so can present a good opportunity for career growth

Cons

-executives are were perhaps hacky start-up leaders, but are in no way of proper big company caliber
    -too many B players in general
    -as a result of weak leadership and overall weak talent, company is completely floundering internally with total lack of process and infrastructure
    -teams are not given clear objectives nor are they aligned in any objectives that are given and that last longer than 5 seconds
    -ridiculously poor data
    -company is incredibly cheap; pay is uncompetitive
    -long hours

Hire some leaders who have actually been successful in running a large Ecommerce company at scale, such that basic best practices can be implemented. Stop thinking that thrash is something people should want to love to work at zulily - it won't bode will for your retention.

Terrible

I worked at zulily full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In theory, somewhat flexible hours, but be careful working on an earlier schedule than your manager.
    Decent amount of PTO, regular health and dental and vision benefits.
    Site discount, if you can find anything you want.
    Some departments seemed overall much more satisfied with their jobs- unfortunately, I wasn't in one of them (merch).
    I did have some great coworkers, and enjoyed working with some of the other departments, but nearly enough to make up for the shortcomings.

Cons

Terrible, inept management. Unclear directions on how to improve at your job or get a raise or promotion. Rampant favoritism. Ineffective HR, as well. Some of them were nice enough, but weren't really give any power to effect change in a bad situation.
    Clique-y, high school like environment- if you're not part of the in crowd, better polish up your resume, you won't be going far here.
    The company liked to lean heavily on the "we're a start-up" excuse despite being publicly traded and international.
    Below market pay.
    Too many forced fun events- company parties, cookie exchanges, "cinco de marcho". This might be totally fun for some people, but if you don't find wearing a sombrero, drinking a Corona and taking goofy photobooth pictures with your coworkers fun, this isn't the culture for you.
    Bad work-life balance. In merch, you were pretty much on call 100% of the time, whether that's proofing a sale at 10 pm the night before it goes live, or being up at 5 am to double check on pricing. However, if you work ten or eleven hours one day, don't expect leniency on taking off an hour or two early the next. When it works for them, they want to treat you like an exempt employee- but when the workload is lighter, it's not about being productive, it's about having you butt in the chair for 8 hours.

SO glad I left!

Former Employee - Editorial Photo Editor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Editorial Photo Editor in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Early years of a tech start-up were exciting & energetic
    You'll get "Great Experience" (tm)
    Young, fun team of smart, hilarious coworkers
    All the crappy coffee you want (until the coffee robot breaks, again)
    Beautiful new waterfront building

Cons

Not a startup anymore but pretending they still are.
    Terrible pay; no raises in 2 years is ridiculous, and the main reason I left. I mean seriously. 2 years. Not even a cost of living increase.
    Long hours & no overtime pay.
    No year-end bonus or incentive bonus. Stock options are tiny.
    Lousy recognition; review process is a joke
    Crappy management thinks a studio team can be run like a customer service call center (ie, treated like unskilled labor)

You need to pay people better if you want to keep them. But, we both know you don't care if you keep people (commonly known that the expected turnover is 2 years), especially in the studio teams; and why would you, when there is an endless stream of Art Institute grads eager to work for less and less pay. I think this will come back to bite you later though. Your quality is slipping, and word has been getting around about how you treat people.

Advice to prospective employees:
    Don't drink the kool-aid. It's just a job, and kind of a sh!tty job. They will lie to you during the interview and hiring process (I was told I'd have to pull some extra duties "for the first 3 months" -- HAHAHA it was actually over a year). They will wring every single bit of work they can get out of you, and it will be exhausting, thankless, and not fun. If they ever say: "We're ordering pizza for the team!" that means, everyone is required to stay late (no overtime).

You might still be able to learn some things by working here, at first, but that doesn't last. Don't plan to stay any longer than that. Have your parachute ready when you walk in the door, you're going to need it.