zulily Reviews

Reset

1. zulily is a very case-by-case company

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i was reading through a lot of these because we're hiring on my team and i want to balance out a lot of the negative reviews in case anyone takes them to heart.

one should note that zulily is a big-ish company. a lot of reviews here are for merch, studio, etc., and i have no idea how those parts of the company work (they sound like they kind of suck). i work in tech. there are 200 people in tech, and there are a number of different orgs in tech that differ quite a bit from each other. one person's experience in their org will be drastically different than someone in another org. different dev methodologies, tools, languages, people, requirements, expectations, etc. running a warehouse is different than running a website is different than building internal tools for buyers. make sure you understand what you will be actually working on if you ever interview here.

- there are a lot of interesting technical problems to work on, provided you work on the right team. every business needs people to write boring business accounting software. i would hate writing boring business accounting software, but i don't write it, so it's not a problem for me.
    - room for advancement; people who deserve to get promoted do get promoted (conversely, people who deserve to get fired get fired)
    - pay is pretty good. according to payscale.com it's much higher than average.
    - able to take ownership of stuff and get a lot of freedom to do new things. zulily likes builders.
    - i like everyone i work with. everyone carries their weight. the weight isn't super heavy (unless you make it to be if you're really engaged in a project). people who don't carry their weight are removed.

i am intellectually stimulated on a daily basis. my bank account gets money in it twice a month. i don't mind going to work and seeing my coworkers. having worked at other smaller internet companies in the past, they actually do have interesting scalability issues that are fun to work on.

Cons

- the stock is worthless right now
    - parking is expensive
    - on-call can suck, but this is a universal truth of any internet business
    - mgmt doesn't quite seem to know what to do about the stock price
    - not as "warm and fuzzy" as smaller companies; you need to have a thick skin and not take stuff personally

Advice to Management

flash sales probably won't work forever. find something else. color outside the lines and try something totally off the wall.

Not the best place to be at and not the worst place to be at

I worked at zulily

Pros

CEO and upper management seems to be really transparent. The cafeteria has good food options.

Cons

Inconsistency in management. Your success and time there is really dependent upon the luck of the draw, which team you get assigned to, and who your manager is. The pay is really terrible. Nothing is done to keep employees for the long-term.

Zu-killing me!

Current Employee - Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My compensation is fair, but the same cannot be said for many other employees.
    Office location is great.

Cons

Terrible culture and little life/work balance. The leadership has created a culture that pits everyone against each other and there is little team cooperation. You are expected to be on-call 24/7, and yes that includes nights,weekends,and holidays. Responsibilities are constantly added to your job without formal notification or pay increase, especially with the added work load from lay offs. The company claims that there are no lay offs, but there really were which has lead to even more distrust of management. With recent company performance, the flaws of the business model are showing but instead of reevaluating practices, band aids are thrown at the problems. Many employees are very under paid and jobs are being moved to the Ohio office to avoid minimum wage increases in Seattle. Recruiters exaggerated and lied to many of us and now we're in positions that are very different than how they were described. The company hired so many young and inexperienced (aka- cheap) employees that it feels like high school all over again. There are little to no raises so don't expect to ever get paid much more than what you're hired in at even if you get the rare promotion.

Advice to Management

You were good at the start up phase- now move out of the way. Show your employees more respect. Hire more men.

The pay isn't worth it

I have been working at zulily

Pros

Great co-workers
    Fairly relaxed environment
    Nice location
    Good work/life balance
    Fun culture

Cons

Constant change
    Layoffs
    Low pay
    Feel under appreciated
    Repetitive work

Advice to Management

Make employees feel like they matter

discipline and focus would make this a much better place

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

People genuinely motivated to do good work and create a company that is longstanding.
    Employees believe in the product, and creating a great website for customers.
    Lots of data on our customers (not that we know how to use it!) and decisions are made more with analytics than through anecdotes.

Cons

Way too many priorities - and one group's priorities don't exactly sync up with the other groups. If we really focused on top things we needed to get done, and said NO, we would be in a much better place.
    Tech over promises and under delivers - if they were more disciplined, we could cut half of the priorities and just focus on what provides the best return.
    We need to decide if we are a retail or a tech company - the push/pull here is challenging to maneuver.
    Not a very transparent place, from what we should be working on, to direction for managers. Help us get ahead of the curve with our teams.
    What we call "zulily time" is frequently just poor planning - we don't HAVE to move that fast at times, put a plan together, make decisions, and bring teams along for the ride.

Advice to Management

Some here have mentioned the stealth layoffs, which are true and have happened across zulily to friends of mine. I think it should be made clear that when you "layoff" people and don't provide them with a severance package or pay out their vacation... that's not a layoff, you are forcing people to resign. It may be legal, but it's probably the meanest you possibly can be to employees who helped you build the company. We may very focused on Moms, but apparently not on Moms who are employees.

Our former CEO seems to have taken all the blame for not realizing that growth was slowing until way too late... does senior leadership not know how to read data about revenue and trend data??

Great job not stable company

Former Employee - Vendor Merchandise Planner in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Vendor Merchandise Planner in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

work life balance
    great team
    independence
    ability to make a difference

Cons

changing constantly
    do not think about future of company
    major lay offs

Advice to Management

dont impulse hire because then it leads to lay offs

Dump company

Former Employee - Sample Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sample Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily

Pros

simple work. nice salad bar. Product Studio Manager is a nice person, just over worked and underpaid like the rest of them.

Cons

Moral is terrible. The negativity there may suck you down. Major layoffs in the past several months! It's like survivor, nobody knows who will get laid off next. Everyone is underpaid. Rumors of people being treated horribly by the company include: Entire departments getting shut with little notice to their employees. A woman got pregnant and expected a raise, until she got written up for taking time off work to have the baby. The companies motto is "We work for mom" yet not if "Mom" is their own employee!!
    For a temp worker, you may possibly get hired but some have been there for 6 months before becoming an Employee. 12/hour no benefits. Transportation is a giant pain and is very expensive especially if working for min wage.
    "Sample Processor" means very boring work (they made it sound much better than it was) its folding clothes, packing boxes, moving boxes, hanging up clothes, and entering numbers in a system database. Fulfilling quotas.

I can't say enough about how badly I hated this environment. Offers to advance within 6 months are empty promises for 98% of the people at the company with the lowest wages possible. They also shipped their entire Customer Service Department to OHIO so that they could pay their employees EVEN LESS MONEY!

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like trash or just another number on a docket. They are people with real lives that matter, they need security, benefits, and future promotional opportunities. Offering meditation workshops and chances to volunteer for soup kitchens is a phony attempt to show you care.

Immature Company

Former Employee - Software Developer in Sammamish, WA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Sammamish, WA

I worked at zulily (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment initially feels exciting and fresh. As a software engineer, you're given new equipment right away which is cool.

Cons

The company is growing so quickly but still trying to run like a startup. No one wants to follow process or structure which hurts them in the long run. Pay is below market value, and the benefits are lacking.

Advice to Management

Long hours provide inverse return. Zulily time is just stupid and an excuse for lack of process and structure which would allow people to operate in normal time. Start realizing that you are no longer a startup and put on your big boy pants.

10. Fast, Faster, Fastest!

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you thrive on making quick decisions and dealing with ambiguous situations. Lots of autonomy to drive the business if you're so inclined.

Cons

Company lacks cohesion when working towards the big picture goals, often times stumbling over relatively obvious details as a result.

Advice to Management

Management should live the vision that they speak of and do a better job of translating it into a strategy for the employees rather than assuming that it is being adhered to and built into everyday decisions.

11. SDE

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

full stack experience, start-up speed, learn a lot

Cons

not good on call experience

RSS Feed </> Embed