zulily Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
2.9

zulily CEO Darrell Cavens
Darrell Cavens

Pros
  • Being a part of a rapidly growing company that is making history (in 13 reviews)

• Fun work environment, great people, very fast paced, never bored (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • To top it off the work/life balance is ZERO (in 8 reviews)

• Poor management is by far the greatest downfall of this entire organization (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Highly Satisfied

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, location, work load, growth opportunities

Cons

compensation, no commute compensation, free coffee is terible

Move Fast, Break Things?

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't speak for the non-tech areas other than to say that the non-technical people seem happy. Working as a dev here is a blast. We have plenty of freedom to work with the technologies that we (as a group) find best suit our needs. There isn't a whole lot of top down direction on that front.

The leadership is exceptionally transparent for the most part; if you want to know why a decision was taken, they'll tell you what they were thinking and seem to seriously consider your input.

Cons

On-call and working in an open plan office.

Nobody wants to be on call, and some of the software that we support was, frankly, written when the company was 5 devs working 20 hours a day. We're re-writing that, but the process of replacing it is slow.

There aren't a whole lot of the little free perks that startup folks tend to expect. There is no free soda, we all pay for our own parking / bus passes, the locker room doesn't have towel service. It doesn't really get me down, but I wouldn't mind a bit more of that stuff.

Don't work in women's! The worst place I have ever worked. I still have nightmares.

I worked at zulily full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growing company. Great benefits. Pay is ok.

Cons

There is a reason why they are always "hiring like crazy". Although the company is growing, the turnover rate is very high. Avoid the Women' department at all costs. Management is rude and extremely catty. The whole department is a judging game. One merchandise manager in particular is moody and made ridiculous demands. Who needs a moody, unpredictable manager? To top it off the work/life balance is ZERO. They advertise the company as a "fun, happy place' when really they expect you to slave away for 60+ hours a week. If you do not stay late, people judge you and you can expect never to move up. I still have nightmares about this place. Moral of the story: RUN, apply anywhere but here.

You guys could have a good thing going here. Take a look at your managers. They set the tone for your company and with immature, catty attitudes it makes zulily an awful place to be.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ahhh run away

Current Employee - Stylist  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers and managers. easy commute. supervisors friendly and willing to listen even if they can not do anything to help.

Cons

insultingly low pay, no room to grow, limited opportunites for advancement, employees treated as expendable items, not valued parts of the machine

Pay people what they are worth and then maybe you will keep some of the incredible talent that you lose on a consistent basis

Not the position I applied for or was discussed in my interview.

Former Employee - PT Marketing Specialist  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - PT Marketing Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily part-time for less than a year

Pros

A young company with a lot of growth potential and opportuniites to move within the company.

Cons

Growing too fast and is very unorganized. Communication from company to manager's to teams is lacking. The company can hardly keep up with all of its employees.

Better communication.

Great, fast growing company while maintaining a wonderful culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

Coworkers, strong executive leadership, growing and expanding company.

Cons

Salary, is sometimes lower than expected, no public transportation subsidy.

My experience at Zulily was a lot of broken promises

Current Employee - Production Working  in  Obetz, OH
    Current Employee - Production Working in Obetz, OH

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

Friendly environment in the packing.

Cons

With Zulily being a fairly new company its difficult to keep up with the new HR Department

Need to hirer experience people to run the company.

Too big, too fast.

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vibrant, creative and passionate group of young-ish professionals. Not the worst thing in the world to come to work everyday.

Cons

Had to find out the hard way the difference between working for your future and working for the "man." Exec level management runs with whims and is rarely prepared to handle crisis.

Pay people reasonable wages. Please.

If the walls could talk

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

Your peers - non-leadership peers.

Cons

The compensation is horrid. The "raises" are insulting. This is not getting better. In fact, its actually getting worse. If you come in at the bottom, you stay at the bottom of the pay scale. Parking is almost $200 a month. For those that take public transportation, it's about $90. When you aren't making much, this can make a huge dent to your bottom line.

Management - TERRIBLE. No direction. They make decisions on a whim and your entire day can get turned upside down at any moment. We spend more time writing useless recaps on things instead taking a deep dive into the business and actually impacting change. It's useless busy work and does nothing to change the pattern of how we do things. The current group of "leaders" in place all talk about each other negatively. In all my years in this industry, I've never seen such behavior in a professional setting.

I haven't even been here that long and I've already seen 4 or 5 of my peers leave. People are leaving from all over the company. People are burned out, the morale is BAD (and again, management doesn't care), the compensation is a joke, - there's really not much left for people to want to stay. There's a lot of people who were here when the company started that are jumping ship. People aren't even waiting to stay until they get their stock. That says a lot.

We took a survey to give the company feedback. The solutions for compensation and recognition that came out of that survey are ridiculous! No zulily, we do not want to work day and night and our reward is "lunch with a member of leadership." WE WANT MONEY!!! Or BONUSES! Or money for parking/transportation!!! Or if you can't afford any of that, a simple day off would be terrific!

Recruiters are also incredibly active on this site. You can tell which reviews are done by them. That's all I will say.

Also, if you are planning on having a child and working here, do yourself a favor and walk away now. This is a company that sells to mom but does not actually take care of the mom's who work within the walls of the company. Maternity leave? Yeah not much. Your kid is sick? Get ready to hear about it.

You sell to a mom - take care of the mothers and mom to be's in your company.

Darrell and Mark - You have some poor hiring choices for managers. Ask HR for the recent Exit Feedback. You should have your answers there.

Pay your people! I'm putting in my notice at the end of this month because of wages. Overworked and underpaid. I would have stayed if I wasn't told how replaceable I am. There's a few buyers that have been with you since the beginning that are planning on leaving in December. No rewards or respect equals no retention.

Can't Believe How Awful It Is

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like my coworkers from my team and other divisions, but not the supervisors who have no idea what they're doing. To be fair, they don't really get training or coaching to help them along and that's the company's fault.

Cons

zulily is like hell on earth. Okay, that's an exaggeration. But I hope I never, ever have to work at such a terrible company again. Literally every single person who sits around me pings me every week about how much they hate working at zulily and how badly they want to leave. It's an open secret that everyone is looking elsewhere. My team has an after-work study group where everyone gets together to work on resumes to submit to other companies. I have known people who quit with no job lined up because they hated it so much, they couldn't take it anymore. And these aren't just from my team - they're from departments across the company. I think the only really happy people are the developers.

Why do employees quit? Because you're treated as expendable - ridiculously low pay, ridiculously long hours, and no appreciation. It's an open secret that in most departments, they only want you to stay for two years because it's cheaper to hire you cheap and throw you away. I know someone who was talked to about this two-year rule and then handed a book on applying to new jobs. Talk about employee appreciation!

The company will also make you work long, long hours, and make you come in on holidays without any compensation at all. I'm not even joking. When they asked me to come in and work a full day during a COMPANY HOLIDAY that most departments get to take off, I asked whether we would get extra pay, or a comp vacation day, or anything of the sort. They told me that because I was salaried, I would get nothing at all for coming in to work a full day during a holiday that they've promised employees would have off. Some of the jobs are only salaried because they figured out that it's cheaper to overwork you to death on a salary than to pay you overtime.

The CEO seems nice at first but then you realize he's out to suck people dry. There is very, very little opportunity to move up or to different departments because they hire outsiders and you're racing so fast to get everything done, you have no time to learn new skills. You'll also be lied to multiple times by the company. They'll claim they're forced by the city of Seattle to take away your sick days, they'll claim their health insurance forced them to start charging employees for their plans, it goes on and on. Don't buy any of it. It's sad to have to be so suspicious and question your company's every word, but that's how it goes when you're working here.

If you're thinking about coming to zulily for the experience and then leaving, forget about it. 1. I've watched multiple people get demoted because the company puts no effort into helping their employees grow. 2. zulily is gaining a reputation as a terrible place to work, and as a place that hires ill-qualified people because they can't get anyone better. 3. All of your coworkers are frantically trying to leave, so that position you applied to? At least three of your peers are probably trying for the same place.

You have your work cut out for you!

Worked for zulily? Contribute to the Community!