QUIZ: How Much is Your Office Like ‘The Office’?
While The Office satirizes uncomfortable work situations, we can bet that you can relate to an episode or two. But just how close does your work situation resemble Dunder-Mifflin’s Scranton office? Using Glassdoor’s eight company evaluation points which make up our company ratings, we’ve created a short quiz to see how much your office, either current or past, is similar to The Office.
Fairness & Respect: How often do practical jokes get played either by you or on you in your office?
- All the time
- Once in a while
Work/Life Balance: Do you often work more than 40 hours a week?
- No, I’m in at 8; out at 5.
- Sometimes, depends on what we have going on
- There is no such thing as the 40 hour work week at my company; I always work a lot more than 40 hours a week.
Recognition & Feedback: Does your company have its own awards system that recognizes employee contributions?
- Yes, we have unique name for company awards (similar to the Dundees)
- We don’t have trophies, but our management team hosts regular meetings in which employees’ achievements are recognized
- No, you’re fortunate if you get recognized for anything at all
Career Opportunities: Does your supervisor work with you to outline your career path at the company?
- Not really. I’ll probably be doing the same job for years to come
- Sometimes, I have a rough idea of my career path at the company
- Yes, I know exactly where I’ll be in 5 years if I continue to work hard
Compensation & Benefits: Do you feel your compensation is average for the work you do?
- No, if I moved to another city I could probably make double
- For some in our office yes but others no
- Yes, I feel I am fairly compensated and have great benefits
Senior Leadership: Does your boss’ management style seem unique and somewhat awkward?
- On occasion
- Not at all
Employee Morale: Do you have an active party planning team at your office that celebrates practically any occasion?
- Yes, there are often issues between the party planning team on what’s best for each event
- No, but usually the same people organize office events
- No, our corporate office coordinates only one to two events a year
Communication: Do you work in an environment that supports open dialogue and constructive feedback?
- Sometimes, it depends on the issue
- Yes, our management team frequently encourages employee input
- My company is working toward it but it’s slow moving and has a lot of management layers
If you answered mostly 1’s, your boss looks up to Michael Scott. In fact, he might be Michael Scott.
If you answer mostly 2’s, your work environment has a great balance of recognition, respect and an emphasis on employee satisfaction. While work isn’t a sitcom, at least you can enjoy what you do.
If you answer mostly 3’s, you can’t relate to the folks over at Dunder–Mifflin, as your office-life is nothing like you see in the sitcom.
Thanks for playing!