The Meat Category Manager will support the department in maximizing the performance of the Meat categories/subcategories. Assist in planning, developing, and implementing the department merchandising and operational strategy regarding promotional pricing, variety, product presentation, and logistics to maximize sales and contributions for the meat categories.Ensures the coordination and success of department’s category management efforts across the division. Provides merchandising support for retail stores and operating staff.
- Supports the management of weekly ad/promo processes and display execution. Assists in post-promo analysis. Analyzes competitive ads/promotional activities and review programming effectiveness vs. competition.
- Visit stores on a regular basis to monitor store conditions, assist problem stores, observe and assist department personnel and to monitor compliance with Company programs. Help to resolve employee and customer complaints. Work to enhance employee morale and motivate and train store personnel in maintaining good customer relations. Monitor and enforce safety and sanitation programs.
- Develop good working relationships with vendors, Distribution personnel, and retail store personnel to ensure the best possible sources of supply to the Company and to assure good store level service. Resolve problems as necessary. Work with Distribution buyers and suppliers to develop display programs, review categories for item selection, and to work through any problems with regard to assigned product area.
- May manage local vendors and hybrids. Provides performance feedback on items. Manages selection, discontinue and markdown for local items. Gives local feedback on planograms. Ensures execution of planograms according to their specifications and requirements.
- Provides input and local insight into the Category Plan. Identifies local opportunities. Reviews local competitive relevance activity and provides recommendations to set strategies across categories.
- Responsible for merchandise price changes and coordination of changes throughout all stores in the Division. Monitor competition and communicate changes in the marketplace to Division and Corporate management. Review pricing zones quarterly with other staff members to ensure profit results.
- Interfaces with procurement and logistics to ensure satisfactory in stock and to optimize/maximize service levels. May assist in meetings with buyers and schematic personnel to review items accepted and items to be discontinued. May assist in meetings with space management to review schematics based on category closing schedule.
- Protect gross profit throughout the Division, while increasing volume through effective advertising and merchandising programs. Monitor Division advertising as it pertains to assigned products, and assist Marketing Manager in development and preparation of related ad programs. Assist in preparation of weekly sales messages, monthly and weekly bulletins, and other correspondence.
- Stay abreast of market conditions and trends by the study of trade papers, and visits to major store competitors and outside suppliers. Assist store personnel in using and interpreting IT reports, becoming proficient with new technology used in the stores, and utilizing it to its maximum advantage.
- Develop and maintain training programs that will ensure the availability of qualified employees to fill respective department positions that arise through promotion, expansion and turnover.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Retail store experience for one year or more preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field and/or extensive and specialized knowledge of assigned product lines with previous experience in merchandising or retail grocery/drug operations required.
- Possess working knowledge of procurement procedures, economics, marketing, accounting and data processing principles. Experience with a personal computer required.
- Possess the ability to motivate and work with and through others to achieve desired results.
- Possess good communications skills, both oral and written. Deal effectively with a wide variety of people both in person and over the telephone.
- Requires analytical ability and mental alertness to ensure accurate, safe, and thorough completion of work activities. Possess ability to concentrate and deal with frequent interruption
- Work is performed under general office or retail store conditions in a temperature controlled environment. Incumbent will use calculators, keyboards, telephones, and other office equipment in the course of the workday. Work is hectic and fast paced and involves long hours on a daily basis. Will travel (60%) to Company units throughout the Division on a regular basis either by car or plane. Store visits involve regular standing, walking, climbing stairs, and movement in and around machinery and hazardous equipment, as well as backstage receiving and production areas.