Director of Communications
Connecticut Coalition for Achievement Now, Inc. (ConnCAN)
New Haven, CT
The Connecticut Coalition for Achievement Now (ConnCAN) is a nonprofit advocacy organization dedicated to ensuring that all children have access to great teachers, principals and public schools, regardless of race, family income or zip code. We believe that better public schools will lead to a better Connecticut.
Over nine years of innovation, smart risk taking, and hard work we developed a proven model for effective education reform advocacy that merges research and policy, communications and mobilization, and legislative advocacy into a unified public movement that demands—and gets—results.
ConnCAN has distinguished itself with an energetic “we won’t fail” culture, a national-caliber team working on state-level problems, and a focused and committed board. As a key member of the team, the Director of Communications will play a central role in engaging the growing Connecticut education reform movement and ensuring that ConnCAN stays on the cutting-edge of public policy advocacy.
The Director of Communications will lead the visioning, planning, and implementing of ongoing strategic communications campaigns to support ConnCAN’s efforts. He/she will work in collaboration with the entire team, and very closely with the CEO, who serves as the public voice and face of the organization.
The ideal candidate will possess boundless energy, a great sense of humor, superb strategic judgment, writing, and speaking skills, a strong passion for the public elements of our work, a high tolerance for the fast pace and the ups and downs of our advocacy efforts, and a strong track record of excellent communications work. He/she will be able to imagine and execute creative, cutting edge, pro-active communications strategies to drive real change.
He/she must have a Bachelor’s degree and at least 7 years of communications experience with political/advocacy communications; a demonstrated ability to forge and maintain relationships with journalists; and the ability to effectively prioritize and multi-task in a demanding, strategic, fast-paced environment.
The ConnCAN Director of Communications will:
- Collaborate with the CEO and senior leadership to develop communications strategies that will broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact.
- Lead the design, development and execution of communications through campaigns and results-based initiatives.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with local, state, national, and trade media.
- Develop and implement pro-active earned and paid media efforts that engage audience segments and lead to measurable action.
- Research, establish and lead implementation of key messages and brand objectives.
- Manage a team of staff and consultants who are responsible for ConnCAN’s website, social media, internal databases and online news platform, CTEdNews.
- Lead the writing and editing of content for communications work, including video, emails, advertisements, fact sheets, press materials, media releases and various editorial materials.
Salary is competitive.
ConnCAN is an equal opportunity employer