Sr. Networking Software Engineer
(Job Ref: 12-037 & 12-063)
The Senior Networking Engineer is responsible for developing new HPC network software solutions as well as enhancing the existing solutions in support of Xyratex’s world-class HPC clusters; with networks ranging from mid-ranged 10GigE data networks to the largest InfiniBand fabrics in the world. The Sr. Networking Engineer works closely with other teams to ensure smooth integration and address concerns early.
Essential Job functions & Responsibilities:
- Develop High Speed Networking infrastructure and device drivers to support RDMA, InfiniBand, LNET, and multi-rail or channel bonding.
- Interact with other teams in the resolution of cross-functional issues impacted by networking.
- Interacting with customers, peers and senior members of Clusterstor team as well as external members of the Linux Community.
- Interface with network hardware vendors and keep abreast of their roadmaps.
- Stay abreast of technical advancements and trends in high speed and large-scale networking.
- Follow changes to Linux and open software in the area of HPC networking.
- Act as mentor to less experienced members of the team.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of IP network technologies and a solid understanding of best practices in software development.
- In depth knowledge of TCP/IP, Routing, Switching, VPN, Load Balancing, Wireless, and Firewalls as well as security best practices.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of networking components, configurations, and emerging technologies, including their interrelationship with existing cluster management network infrastructure.
- Competency in developing efficient and effective solutions to complex technical problems or requirements to meet business needs.
- Strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, or a related field preferred.
- 10+ years experience in the Network and Security Technology fields with focus on designing and delivering secure large-scale networks and Data Center/Cloud networking solutions.
- 10+ years experience with routers, switches, and firewalls.
- 5+ years experience in Enterprise network management using SNMP, SolarWinds/Orion/HPOV, etc.
- 7+ years experience in layer 3 routing protocols such as OSPF and BGP.
- 10+ years with TCP/IP and associated protocols and technologies such as IPv4 and IPV6, IP Multicasting, HTTP/HTTPS, FTP/TFTP, ARP/RARP, BOOTP, DNS, NIS, NTP, DHCP, LDAP, Active Directory, and 802.1x Network Authentication.
- 2+ years of experience in Infiniband or LNET, especially RDMA protocols
- 10+ years experience in debugging and diagnosing complex network issues to provide prognoses and/or strategies for resolution.
- Experience with Channel Bonding protocols and methods.
- Experience with High Availability solutions.
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Applying judgment in decision-making.
- Creating written documentation
- This role will primarily be based in an office setting
- Lifting and carrying 40-60 pounds occasionally
- Work primarily done in cubicle
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Typical office setting/conditions.
- Fluorescent lighting
- Periodic domestic travel with the likelihood of occasional international travel, at times on short notice.
- Current passport and no history of declined visas, or entry refusal to any country.