Glassdoor is your free inside look at more than 246,000 companies. Salary details, company reviews, and interview questions - all posted anonymously by employees and job seekers.
North Charleston Creative Arts School – North Charleston, SC
North Charleston Creative Arts School - 30+ days ago
Charleston County School District invites qualified individuals to apply for the position of Career Counselor. Interested persons may apply online at www.ccsdschools.com or apply at the Human Resource Office, 75 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC 29401. For a detailed listing of the required documentation to complete your application file, please refer to the Teacher Application Procedures which are located under the Employment Section of our website. All information can be emailed to email@example.com or sent to Human Resources, 75 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC 29401, Fax (843) 937-6383.
To provide career guidance services to students and assist them in setting and attaining appropriate educational, career and personal goals and to plan and coordinate career awareness activities.
1. Counsel individually and with groups of students to assist them in setting realistic career/college goals and in developing individual career education plans consistent with their aptitudes, interests, and desired life style.
2. Coordinate career awareness activities designed to acquaint students with options available to them and assist teachers in making arrangements to secure career-related speakers.
3. Develop a written career guidance program in cooperation with other guidance personnel, teachers, and the administration.
4. Coordinate and encourage students to participate in Kuder, SCOIS, WorkKeys testing and assist students and parents with interpreting test scores.
5. Disseminate information and promote the career guidance program to staff, parents, feeder middle schools, and the community through such means as websites, newsletters, local media, and school/community presentations.
6. Serve on school curriculum committees and as a liaison to community committees and advisory boards to ensure that the career counseling program continues to be an integral part of the total educational process.
7. Serve as a liaison with Trident Technical College to ensure that students and parents are aware of the latest opportunities for post-secondary education for traditional and nontraditional curriculum students.
8. Seek mutually beneficial business partnerships and work sites for school-to-career experiences.
9. Organize and coordinate student visits to colleges and major employers in the area.
10. Utilize community resources and referral agencies, field trip sites, employment opportunities, and the local labor market information to support the overall career program.
11. Serve as a "soft skills training" coordinator to help students recognize the connection between developing good work habits while in school and becoming desirable candidates for the workforce.
12. Demonstrate continued professional growth and development by participation in professional organizations and professional development opportunities.
1. Administer a Needs Assessment Survey periodically to students and their parents to provide feedback which will be used to establish priority and eliminate or create services as suggested by the results.
2. Perform additional duties as assigned by the designated supervisor.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING
•3 years of successful work experience
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
•Ability to work well with all levels of Charleston County School District staff, parents, and the community
Must qualify for a South Carolina Certificate in guidance and counseling at the secondary level or possess at least a Bachelor's Degree and hold Global Career Development Facilitator (GCDF) certification.
Prior working experience as a career counselor in a middle or high school
Work is typically performed in a normal heated or air-conditioned school environment. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and able to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Salary Range: (based on the 2011-2012 teacher salary schedule)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application and Résumé/Profile will be accepted on an ongoing basis. The job will remain open until filled. All applicants may not be interviewed for this position.
Please provide the following information to complete your file:
• Two Confidential Reference Forms or Placement File for New Teachers
• Appropriate Test Scores (copy accepted)
• Appropriate Transcripts (unofficial accepted)
• Teacher Certification (current)
• Certification Information Letter
• International Teachers need copy of current work permit or valid residency
The applicant should send confidential reference forms to appropriate persons to complete and submit either by mail or fax to Teacher Employment. References should include a present supervisor/principal (if still employed) or past supervisor or classroom cooperating teacher and student teaching supervisor for beginning teachers. A college or university placement/career file that contains these references may be used for new teachers.
If you were a previous CCSD employee, a confidential reference from your last principal in CCSD must be provided.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.