Square processes millions of transactions every day, resulting in vast amounts of data. Our data engineers work across teams to store, process, enrich, and analyze this data.
Problems we work on:
- Data Infrastructure: Consolidate various internal and external data sources into formats and aggregations suitable both for internal analysis and a foundations for future products.
- Fraud Detection: Analyze our payment and customer data to detect and handle fraud in a timely fashion.
- Underwriting: Related to fraud, preemptively calculate how much risk we are able to take on for each customer on our system.
- Visualization: Using the d3 library, visualize and provide insight into our merchants and transactional data.
- Merchant Analytics: Provide our merchants with insight and visibility into their business with numbers, graphs, and advice.
- Merchant Relevance: Use a variety of internal and external data sources to help customers find relevant nearby merchants.
- Personalized Recommendations: Leverage our merchant and transactional data, to surface relevant merchant and item recommendations.
- Search: Allow customers to find relevant Square merchants near them.
- Experience programming in Java
- Analytical problem solving skills
- Ability to make pragmatic engineering decisions in a short amount of time
- SQL experience
Desirable, but not required:
- Open source contributions
- TDD experience
- Pair programming experience