Please Note: By submitting your material for this position, you are becoming part of a pool of applicants interested in temporary opportunities. As a result, any direct follow-up will depend upon the specific temporary needs of the hiring unit. If in looking at other temporary positions that are posted you see specific roles that you are interested in, we recommend that you apply directly for those positions as well.
This position is responsible for maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness for the university; giving students, employees, and visitors the best service available.
Vacuum, shampoo and extract carpeting; scrub, wax, and burnish floors; polish furniture and woodwork; thoroughly cleans and disinfects restroom facilities. Operates heavy-duty power custodial equipment. Job requires working in a dusty environment, utilizing a variety of cleaning chemicals, working around unpleasant odors, and performing emergency flood-water clean-ups. Maintain key security at all times. Perform work in close contact with the Cornell public involving 28,000 students, faculty, and staff, respecting the privacy of all customers served. May also include maintaining grounds in the immediate vicinity of the assigned area, including sweeping sidewalks and shoveling snow.
This position could include day, weekend and/or evening hours and could be part-time or full-time.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Basic proficiency in English involving reading, writing, math and verbal articulation. Must be able to follow written and verbal directions involving all custodial protocol.
- The desire and ability to perform detailed and varied cleaning duties. Must be able to work with a variety of industrial-rated cleaning chemicals, and be comfortable assisting with emergencies including water clean-ups.
- A positive attitude and the ability to promote teamwork in a diverse working environment at all times is essential. Must be able to conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, customer service skills, and ability to work effectively within a strong team environment. Being able to function effectively in a fast-paced service environment and adapt easily to frequent changes is essential.
- Must have the stamina to perform physically laborious work, lift and/or move fifty (50) pounds, and independently climb an eight (8) foot ladder. Must be able to work in all weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
- Must have the ability to learn all technical elements of the custodial maintenance process, and be able to physically and safely operate industrial-rated power equipment used in custodial maintenance field.
- A strong work ethic and demonstrated excellent attendance is required.
- Some positions may require a driver's license and reliable transportation. May be required to use own vehicle on the job.
- Experience in the custodial maintenance field is preferred.
Note: Some positions may require a physical examination to determine the applicants' ability to perform physically laborious work.
No relocation assistance is provided for this position. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Cornell University, located in Ithaca, New York, is an inclusive, dynamic, and innovative Ivy League university and New York's land-grant institution. Its staff, faculty, and students impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas and best practices to further the university's mission of teaching, research, and outreach.
Cornell University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer.