What does a Driver do?
A driver is responsible for transporting either cargo or passenger from one location to another. They are responsible for the safe transit of the passengers or cargo. A few of the main duties of a driver are following traffic laws, correctly following the right route, ensure that there is enough gas, and maintain a clean car interior. They also have to be very timely and know where they are going.
A driver does not need any experience but should have a high school diploma or GED equivalent. One of the most important skills that a driver will have is their ability to navigate through traffic. Another skill is upbeat attitude as the driver will need to make sure that the clients are satisfied with their service. They also need to be able to drive defensively to protect the passengers or cargo.
- Follow all traffic laws
- Drive defensively to ensure safety
- Keep all windows in the car spotless
- Keep the interior of the car spotless
- Make sure there is always enough gas to get to the destination
- Keep accurate count of gas usage, miles, and other data
- Ensure that car maintenance is taken care of
- Accurately follow the correct route
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Valid state driver's license
- Have been driving for at least 5 years
- Great time management skills
- Great customer attitude and attentiveness
- Ability to operate a vehicle for 8 hours
- Physically able to lift 50 pounds
- Open to working nights and weekends
- Great organizational skills
How much does a Driver make?
Driver Career Path
Learn how to become a Driver, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
“I don't really know any upper management but whatever you all are doing is amazing and working beautifully 😊 excellent!!”
“You get to pick your own hours which helped me with school and its base pay was good too.”
“Flexible self schedule allows you to choose when you work and how much you work.”
“I worked second shift and nothing was done to assure that it was a good work environment for employees.”
“Good pay with OT if you wanted it and most of the employees were solid to work with.”
“Pay was very good for what you are doing and highly competitive within this sector.”
“It is great that you can make your own schedule and dash whenever you can.”
“They handle the high end and complex stuff and really work well together to get it done.”
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of drivers
The typical day of a driver involves transporting cargo and passengers safely and efficiently. A driver needs to obey traffic laws, pay attention to vehicle maintenance, and navigate well. Additionally, drivers need to have strong people skills when dealing with passengers.
As with any job, there are some challenges to being a driver, for example feeling stress while dealing with traffic or in the monotony of long hours on the road. Some driver roles, like delivery driving, require physical strength. Others, like taxi driving, require deep knowledge of local roads and good customer service.