What does a Lead Bookkeeper do?
Bookkeepers are primarily responsible for maintaining a company's general ledger, which entails recording daily transactions, deposits, and income. The majority of bookkeepers work in the professional, scientific, and technical services industry.
Bookkeepers usually have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance. The best bookeepers are extremely familiar with GAAP and comfortable working in QuickBooks. Bookkeepers must be detail oriented, have strong math skills, and be efficient.
- Perform payroll functions in an accurate and timely manner, and submit payroll taxes
- Conduct reconciliation of all accounts on an as needed basis
- Maintain and balance the general ledger in an accurate, complete, and up-to-date manner
- Perform all activities related to the accounts payable function including reviewing, coding, and processing payments
- Perform account receivable functions including invoicing, deposits, collections, and revenue recognition
- Prepare financial reports through collection, analysis, and summarization of data
- Interpret and apply accounting policies, rules, and regulations to all work in order to ensure compliance with applicable standards
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- 3-5 years relevant experience working in accounting and bookkeeping
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of GAAP
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient skills in QuickBooks and Microsoft Excel
- Experience with accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and general ledger
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
How much does a Lead Bookkeeper make near United States?
Lead Bookkeeper Career Path
Learn how to become a Lead Bookkeeper, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Lead Bookkeeper Insights
“My interactions with my coworkers were always positive and I enjoyed the work I did.”
“They have such a great work ethic and really care about those that work for them.”
“pay ain't great but thanks to inflation i've been getting raises at least once every six months”
“I enjoyed working with the former CEO who was extremely knowledgable and competent”
“workers were professional and enjoyable to work with.”
“I definitely am really excited about the opportunity and I am confident I will move up quickly.”
“The bookkeeping world is always changing and we get continuous training on the job to best serve our clients.”
“Vertical growth was not apparent”
Lead Bookkeeper Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Lead Bookkeeper
- Management Accountant
- Accounting Manager
- Cost Accountant