What does an Adapted Physical Education Teacher do?
Physical education teachers help students develop their physical abilities and healthy habits to carry on for the rest of their lives. They organize games and challenges and promote physical activity among children and young adults from kindergarten through high school to help develop motor skills and physical development among younger children and proper exercise and eating habits among older children. Physical education teachers adjust their lesson plans to adapt to student abilities and some coach sports teams.
Physical education teachers must have strong speaking and listening skills and know movements and activities to communicate and demonstrate the exercise correctly. Physical education teachers must observe all students, maintain discipline within a class, and sometimes interact with parents, other teachers, and school administrators. Physical education teachers are required to be licensed must pass a subject area exam in physical education and a basic skills exam. They are required to need a minimum bachelor's degree in physical education and state licensing where applicable.
- Plan and prepare engaging and interactive physical education lessons for students.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining standards of student behavior.
- Help maintain order in the classroom; Monitor students to keep them on tasks.
- Move small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom equipment.
- Support the school's mission, philosophies, values, goals, and policies toward students, parents/guardians, and coworkers.
- Provide students with daily feedback on performance and plan for individual learning needs.
- Develop positive relationships with students, families, teachers and staff.
- Develop academically rigorous lessons, unit plans, rubrics and assessments.
- Show up for critical school events, including: staff meetings, open houses, parent teacher conferences and more.
- Design and effectively deliver developmentally appropriate curriculum and instruction which reflects observations and goals of individual children.
- Share best practices with other teachers and collaborate with them to improve instructional and assessment practices.
- Perform necessary duties including but not limited to morning, lunch, dismissal, and after-school duties.
- Facilitate physical activity discussion groups for program participants at community sites.
- Work with the Special Education teachers and administration to serve special needs students in the classroom.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom you are responsible.
- Accept and incorporate feedback and coaching from administrative staff.
- Bachelor's Degree in physical fitness, education, sports medicine or equivalent experience.alent experience and certification to teach physical education.
- Is a leader, critical thinker, and problem solver.
- Can work with students confidently and help them strive for continuous improvement.
- A professional at all times with sound attention to detail and time management skills.
- Can communicate with a variety of mediums including email, in person, and digitally.
How much does an Adapted Physical Education Teacher make?
Adapted Physical Education Teacher Career Path
Learn how to become an Adapted Physical Education Teacher, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Adapted Physical Education Teacher Insights
“I don't have any negative comments about my home town school district I enjoyed every aspect.”
“Happy place to work and live.”
“I have no cons because everyone was helpful”
“The pay is good for someone straight out of college”
“You get a flexible Schedule”
“great people to work with”
“Not the best pay for what you do”
“Salary was on time which is good”
Adapted Physical Education Teacher Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of an Adapted Physical Education Teacher
- Substitute Teacher
- After School Teacher
- Elementary School Teacher