What does a CMO do?
Chief marketing officers are executives responsible for overseeing all aspects of an organization’s comprehensive marketing program. They are the top leader of the marketing department, and supervise marketing managers and other staff. They establish department policies and procedures, and play a lead role in driving marketing strategy and planning. They take ownership of guiding major national and global campaigns and initiatives. They establish and monitor annual budgets and spending plans, and negotiate contacts with major partners, vendors, and service providers.
Chief marketing officers typically have at least a bachelor’s degree in marketing or a related business field, although an MBA or similar advanced degree is often preferred. They have a vast marketing background, including roles in high-level leadership positions. These roles require in-depth understanding of marketing trends and innovative strategies.
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and developments in digital marketing.
- Analyze, evaluate, plan and execute on both existing and potential marketing activities and strategies.
- Define products, including price positioning attractive to the relevant market segments.
- Responsible for operational sourcing delivery across all region accounts.
- Socialise the plan with business stakeholders and gain input and support.
- Work closely with digital leadership to determine and meet growth and consumer-driven KPIs and ensure that they align with editorial and revenue strategy.
- Assure legal agreements and permissions obtained whenever others brands / logos are used.
- Create trusted relationships with team members. Understand what they value and support them in achieving their development goals.
- Speak and present both internally and externally to promotes the story of our product.
- Work closely with business and sales teams to package and deliver against sponsorships across distribution channels, including newsletter and social executions.
- Ensure that appropriate metrics are in place to measure performance and progress towards strategic goals.
- Drive discovery around obstacles to project speed or success and make recommendations to overcome these.
- Identify and interpret federal and state rules and regulations to ensure firm policies and procedures comply with appropriate laws, regulations and industry guidance.
- Experience running tests to optimize marketing and user experience initiatives.
- Ability to achieve revenue growth and solution revenue growth targets for their overall region and accounts, in partnership with the direct account sales teams.
- Establish a quarterly calendar for review of key projects vs. milestones.
- Bachelor's Degree in business, marketing, computer engineering, computer science, or communications.
- A confident, natural leader and problem solver with demonstrated critical thinking and collaboration skills.
- Advanced understanding of marketing practices and principles.
- Experience overseeing and executing large-scale marketing campaigns.
- Able to lead and manage a marketing team.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, business administration or management, or equivalent experience.
How much does a CMO make?
CMO Career Path
Learn how to become a CMO, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
“People are really nice and interesting and the entire vibe is one of comraderie and continuous growth.”
“It is extremely risk adverse and there are no career development opportunities despite it being a learning institution.”
“Working on international products which is a great opportunity of building a global career in this uncertain times”
“If you want to build a great career and have a leadership team who invest in you this is the place to work.”
“Everyone is so welcoming and great to work with.”
“Flexible hours and willing to work with your schedule.”
“An outstanding opportunity to disrupt the media and marketing industry and elevate your career with paths for professional development.”
“We are offered flexible working hours and organisation provides crucial insights in shaping one's corporate career.”
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a CMO
- Chief Operating Officer
- Chief Executive Officer
- Senior Leader
The most common qualifications to become a CMO include a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 years of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.