What does a Content Writer do?
The job of a content writer is to create print and digital content for companies that provides information or showcases the products or services they offer. To develop content that accurately reflects company ideals, content writers often research the material they need to write each article or product description. They collaborate closely with a content manager and clients to write according to a company's editorial style. An effective writer works independently and consistently meets deadlines.
Most content writers have an undergraduate degree in English or marketing. However, it is possible to enter the field without a degree if you start as an intern or demonstrate writing proficiency with a portfolio of your work. To be successful in this role, content writers must know how to use a variety of writing and publishing programs, such as Microsoft Office, G Suite, and WordPress. A strong attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure is essential.
- Produce well-researched content for publication online and in print
- Organize writing schedules to complete drafts of content or finished projects within deadlines
- Utilize industry best practices and familiarity with the organization's mission to inspire ideas and content
- Communicate and cooperate with a writing team, including a content manager, editors, and web publishers
- Follow an editorial calendar, collaborating with other members of the content production team to ensure timely delivery of materials
- Develop related content for multiple platforms, such as websites, email marketing, product descriptions, videos, and blogs
- Monitor and analyze the performance of key performance indicators (KPIs) to offer suggestions for improvement
- Use search engine optimization (SEO) strategies in writing to maximize the online visibility of a website in search results
- Proven record of excellent writing demonstrated in a professional portfolio
- Impeccable grasp of the English language, including idioms and current trends in slang and expressions
- Ability to work independently with little or no daily supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to communicate with clients, colleagues, and management
- Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously
- Strict adherence to the style guides of each company and their policies for publication
- Good time management skills, including prioritizing, scheduling, and adapting as necessary
- Proficiency with computers, especially writing programs, such as Google Docs and Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with each client's requirements and the company's brand image, products, and services
How much does a Content Writer make?
Content Writer Career Path
Learn how to become a Content Writer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Content Writer Insights
“The team was really good and creative in content writing so I got to learn a lot from them.”
“I jobs in here many time and they are behaver good and good salary given.”
“standing reputation in the industry I personally worked under a great creative director who was very hands”
“Full of empty promises of “big changes” and “new projects” but then was left redundant”
“The culture is the best of the best and I love the HOTH life :)”
“You're given pretty good autonomy (depending on your publisher) and a ton of resources.”
“When I started everyone was so nice and it really seemed like a dream but like dreams they’re not real.”
“Learningfrom the experts came into various opportunities for me as it was great for my personal and professional development both.”
Content Writer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of content writers
Content writers spend each day researching, writing, and structuring online content either for a client or their own website. They typically design articles and creative copy in such a way that the reader gains inspiration or wishes to purchase a specific product or service.
A benefit of working as a content writer involves the flexibility of working just about anywhere. Most professionals can set their own hours since they complete the work based on deadlines. The demand for content writing has increased tremendously due to the internet becoming a major medium for presenting types of information. This may make it easier to find a content writer job.
A content writer can earn a decent wage. The average base salary for content writers in the United States is $49,444 per year depending on their location and years of experience. With additional experience and education, that number can reach up to $77,968 per year.
Being a content writer can be challenging since the job requires time, research, and skill. They need knowledge about SEO optimization and must stay updated on changes made to algorithms. Also, depending on the client, they might have quick turnaround times.