What does a Custodian do?
Custodians work to create a clean, orderly, and safe environment by performing a wide variety of cleaning and maintenance activities on buildings. They ultimately keep buildings clean, ranging from banks to schools and offices. While custodians mainly work inside, they also have duties that take place outside like sweeping walkways and mowing lawns.
Custodians must have a high school diploma or general education degree (GED). The best custodians are comfortable working independently, have repair and maintenance skills, and are service-oriented.
- Maintain floors in a clean state by sweeping, scrubbing, mopping, and waxing them
- Empty and clean trash receptacles and collect recycling
- Clean, sanitize, and supply bathrooms
- Clean and service custodial equipment as needed
- Perform minor repairs on furniture, buildings, and equipment
- Report any safety, sanitary, or fire hazards to the appropriate department
- Lock and unlock windows, doors, and gates
- Ensure grounds areas are clean and orderly
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- Previous custodial and grounds experience preferred
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Comfortable squatting, twisting, bending, and kneeling while using tools and performing maintenance tasks
- Possess working knowledge of the methods, technique, and materials used in custodial work
- Ability to climb ladders and work from heights
- Familiar with operating, caring for, and storing custodial equipment and supplies
How much does a Custodian make?
Custodian Career Path
Learn how to become a Custodian, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
“I got to work extra games which means extra money and I took q break when I wanted to”
“Not much full time opportunity but perfect for those looking for solid consistent extra hours.”
“It is a good thing my line manager was very understanding and we have compromised on how I will be able to get paid.”
“Good wage and hours very short drive worked here before great store enjoyed working”
“This is a very good job and a very generous and understanding boss.”
“You are pretty much free to go about your business and do what you want.”
“I felt like I wasn't paid very well and didn't get the most comprehensive training.”
“I have been working here about 1 year and I met so many people worked with them.”
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Custodian
When working as a Custodian, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Windows, English Language, Buffing, Work Ethic, and Effective Communication.
- Warehouse Worker
The most common qualifications to become a Custodian include a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 years of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.