What does a Customer Service do?
Customer service representatives (CSRs) are the front-line support within organizations that sell products and services to consumers and businesses. In consumer sales focused companies, customer service reps provide phone-based support to customers to help resolve product issues, answer account and billing questions, and in some cases, make new sales. In services-focused companies whose sales are business-to-business in nature, a CSR will usually solve specific product quality or integration issues. In such cases, a rep will work closely with an account manager or sales representative.
The skills needed to be a successful customer service representative include: strong communication skills, customer service system experience, and time management and interpersonal skills.
- Respond to customer inquiries and requests via telephone, email, and chat in a timely fashion
- Document all inquires, requests, resolutions, and follow-up tasks
- Escalate inquires and requests as necessary to the appropriate department or person following outlined guidelines
- Display a courteous and empathetic attitude to all customers
- Perform research to answer customer inquiries and requests
- Grow existing customer accounts through exceptional customer service and effective sales techniques
- Meet quantitative performance metrics as outlined
- Keep customer accounts current by updating databases during calls
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- 1 year of customer service experience
- Experience working with inbound and outbound calls, customer retention, and inside sales preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable working in a high volume role
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage time efficiently
- Basic computer skills in various software and web-based applications
How much does a Customer Service make?
Customer Service Career Path
Learn how to become a Customer Service, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Customer Service Insights
“This was the best job I ever had the owners were super supportive and encouraging and help me grow”
“Katherine is the best manager I ever had and Lena is so Cool and Awesome!”
“Pay wasn't great and the hours weren't great but it was also my first real job.”
“It made my first day very easy and not scary because I already met my team.”
“I liked the people I trained with and the on the job training was excellent as well.”
“Dr.Saggu was really nice and wonderful to work with provided many opportunities to learn from.”
“the hourly pay at tesco is good and the way the look after colleges is great.”
“Everybody working in sync making this one of the most efficient and productive workplaces in my experience.”
Customer Service Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Customer Service
- Customer Care Manager
- Customer Success Manager
- Customer Service Manager
- Customer Service Representative