What does a Data Manager do?
A Data Manager analyzes the data needs of the company or research organization and uses skills in coding to maintain secure databases. They then collect and organize the data obtained. A Data Manager uses their training in analytics and various coding programs to analyze information and draw conclusions based on their findings. Additionally, using mathematical and statistical theory methods they present findings to management which are then used to improve various initiatives within the company. A Data Manager can look at a set of data and seek out patterns and utilize the information to remain competitive in the business of their employer.
A Data Manager meets with management and determines the best methods to gather the information needed. Advanced education in statistics, mathematics, computer science or related field is required, with many in the position holding a Master's degree in these fields. Focused attention to detail, as well as the ability to understand abstract concepts, is essential to perform well in this role.
- Research and properly evaluate sources of information to determine possible limitations in reliability or usability
- Apply sampling techniques to effectively determine and define ideal categories to be questioned
- Compare and analyze provided statistical information to identify patterns, relationships and problems
- Define and utilize statistical methods to solve industry-specific problems in varying fields, such as economics and engineering
- Prepare detailed reports for management and other departments by analyzing and interpreting data
- Train assistants and other members of the team how to properly organize findings and read data collected
- Design computer code using various languages to improve and update software and applications
- Refer to previous instances and findings to determine the ideal method for gathering data
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science or related field
- Strong math and analytical skills are essential to complete job requirements successfully
- Ability to complete milestones and work toward multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Excellent multitasking skills and task management strategies
- Interpersonal and customer service skills are required when meeting with and interviewing potential clients
- Strong computer skills and ability to use necessary databases and software
- Confident in decision making and the ability to explain processes or choices as needed
- Experience working with private and sensitive personal information
- Able to compile and organize statistical information retrieved and present findings to management
How much does a Data Manager make near United States?
Data Manager Career Path
Learn how to become a Data Manager, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Data Manager Insights
“1. Good projects 2. Career switch is easy ( If want to go from .net”
“Low work life balance sometimes but if you love your job its alright i guess.”
“I was given an opportunity as a young gun to work and learn a great deal about data in my gap year.”
“Amazing company to start you career with as it is one of the largest banks in the world with good brand recognition”
“If you are looking to start your career or acquire experience in the oncology field this is the best place to be.”
“Not many opportunities for raises and bonuses are not great.”
“Manager is so good and understanding.”
“Not an abundance of career development opportunities or tailored training”
Data Manager Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Data Manager
- Office Manager
- Office Administrator
- Administrative Assistant
- Data Specialist