What does a Deli Clerk do?
A Deli Clerk is commonly found in grocery stores and works to assist customers with locating deli products and making purchases. A Deli Clerk will also address customer service concerns and answer questions pertaining to items solid in the deli. They ensure the store's appearance aligns with the company's standards and keep displays well-stocked and organized. A Deli Clerk will also assist customers by weighing items and labeling for payment.
A high school diploma or equivalent is generally preferred but not necessary for the position. A Deli Clerk is considered an entry-level profession. However, certain skills are essential in order to excel within the role. An exceptional Deli Clerk will seek to provide excellent customer service and strive to be proactive about the needs of customers.
- Greet guests and answer questions regarding goods or services solid
- Maintain a well-organized and orderly deli department that aligns with the company's image and sanitation standards
- Monitor store displays and keep all areas detailed and well-stocked
- Alert managers as to items that have solid out, or need to be re-ordered
- Assist customers by labeling items for purchase
- Ensure the stockroom is organized and orderly
- Assist customers by issuing samples and answering questions related to deli products
- Properly process coupons while following the company's stated policy and procedures
- Attention to detail is essential for maintaining and stocking deli displays to company standards
- Prior customer service experience preferred
- Basic math skills are needed to accurately weigh and calculate deli items
- Ability to multitask and balance the needs of several customers at once is mandatory
- A detailed understanding of products or services solid and the ability to correctly answer customer questions is needed
- Ability to work as a team and contribute to a smoothly flowing experience for all customers
- Friendly and approachable demeanor
- Ability to spend an extended period working in a standing position
- Punctuality and accountability when arriving at work and working with registers
How much does a Deli Clerk make?
Deli Clerk Career Path
Learn how to become a Deli Clerk, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Deli Clerk Insights
“Training is extensive and prepares you well to go above and beyond what's expected of you.”
“Great company culture and nearly every promotion is from within the company all the way up the ladder.”
“I've been able to meet some really great people in my department who I can call friends.”
“You get to meet some nice customers and the people that I work i enjoy working with we all team player.”
“I really enjoyed working.All staff members are very friendly.I was provided with an opportunity to do my pharmacy dispensing course.”
“Co workers are nice and cool to work with.”
“workers are great and fun to work with.”
“It was my first job and I have learned a lot about what it means to work.”
Deli Clerk Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Deli Clerk
- Sales Representative
- Regional Sales Manager