What does a Financial Reporting Manager do?
Financial reporting managers supervise the management and reporting of financial records. They are responsible for overseeing the handling of important financial documents and files such as balance sheets, income statements, quarterly and annual reports, and ensure the proper systems and controls are in place to manage that information securely. They lead of team of financial specialists and other staff, and establish department policies and practices.
Financial reporting managers typically have a bachelor’s degree and are also a licensed CPA (certified public accountant). They have extensive experience in accounting roles, and must be comfortable using common monitoring and reporting tools and platforms. These managers must be highly organized with strong leadership skills. They must be knowledgeable about SEC regulations, and should have an in-depth understanding of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles).
- Assist in executing the financial reporting component of the external audit.
- Prepare all periodic required filings.
- Compile quarterly financial statements which adhere to SEC Rules.
- Assist in the evaluation of and accounting for complex transactions.
- Analyze and drive implementation efforts of new accounting pronouncements.
- Analyze business results and prepare appropriate financial statements to describe those results.
- Ensure internal controls are properly designed, implement and documented.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly earnings press releases and earnings call materials.
- Act as liaison to external auditors in the resolution of technical accounting issues.
- Ensure company's filings with the SEC and stock exchange are filed promptly and accurately.
- Assist in the valuation process, including the preparation of the Excel schedules and narrative reports.
- Facilitate and coordinate multiple deadlines and respond quickly to management requests.
- Bachelor's Degree in business or computer science.
- Advanced knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Skilled in general ledger processes.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning programs and tools.
How much does a Financial Reporting Manager make near United States?
Financial Reporting Manager Career Path
Learn how to become a Financial Reporting Manager, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Financial Reporting Manager Insights
“This might just change/save your career path and not make the mistake that I did.”
“good work and life balance”
“No gratitude for working excessive overtime it is expected and no payment.”
“Emphasis on continued employee training and career development.”
“Nice place to work work”
“Generally great work life balance”
“Great team to work with”
“Nonprofit so not great pay”
Financial Reporting Manager Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Financial Reporting Manager
- Management Accountant
- Accounting Manager
- Cost Accountant