What does a Forensic Scientist do?
A forensic scientist is responsible for testing all of the evidence found at a crime scene. They are responsible for ensuring that all of the tests are performed ethically and correctly. A few of the main duties of a forensic scientist are obtaining evidence at the crime scene, creating reports of the findings, analyzing the evidence in the lab, and testifying in court. They also have to report the findings of the analysis to superiors. Some of the jobs titles that a forensic scientist could grow into are lab manager and detective.
A forensic scientist should have two years of experience in a laboratory setting as well as a Bachelor's degree in forensic science. One of the most important skills that a forensic scientist will have is attention to detail. Another skill is objectivity as the forensic scientist will have to be able to run the tests without any bias.
- Gather evidence from the crime scene
- Testify in court
- Create reports based on the lab results
- Verify the lab results
- Stay objective when running lab tests
- Run lab tests to find if the evidence is relevant or not
- Find electronic data and analyze it
- Ensure that the tests are done in a timely fashion
- Bachelor's degree in forensics science
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to stay objective
- Knowledge of the appropriate tests to run
- Ability to work long hours
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Great analytical thinking ability
- Ability to deal with emotional situations
How much does a Forensic Scientist make?
Forensic Scientist Career Path
Learn how to become a Forensic Scientist, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Forensic Scientist Insights
“It is a great company that gives you a lot of freedom in your schedule.”
“best place to work and for research”
“This leads to good experience and career growth opportunities.”
“Good compensation for traveling and relocations.”
“Intern pay is not competitive”
“Everything is beautiful so nice”
“My salary is pretty good”
“Great people to work with”
Forensic Scientist Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Forensic Scientist
- Applications Scientist
- Research Scientist
- Food Scientist