What does a General Surgeon do?
A General Surgeon will perform invasive medical procedures in a hospital setting. These procedures may be planned or could be emergency in nature. You will use precision hand movements with little break and long periods of standing using excellent analytical skills to make the best decisions with little advance notice.
The ideal candidate will be skilled in wound care and have 5+ years of experience as a surgeon in a hospital setting with a valid U.S. medical license who is Board Certified in Surgery with an active DEA registration. Your desire to work in an acute and critical care setting as is your excellent decision making abilities and superior analytical skills in determining best treatment plans given little planning time.
- Complete daily rotations
- Mentor Medical Students in their surgery rotation
- Supervise Surgical Nursing and Surg Tech Staff
- Perform a variety of invasive medical procedures in an operating room
- Diagnose patients and develop treatment plans
- Order diagnostic tests for patients prior to surgery
- Explain procedures in layman's terms to patients and family members before and after procedures
- Accurate charting of patients under your care
- Board certified in surgery or a specialty, preferred
- Active DEA registration
- 5+ years of experience as a surgeon in a hospital setting
- Skilled in wound care
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Able to use hands with precision for extended periods of time without a break
- Excellent decision-making abilities in emergency cases
- Superior analytical skills in determining best treatment plans given little planning time
- Ability to communicate effectively to a diverse population
How much does a General Surgeon make?
General Surgeon Career Path
Learn how to become a General Surgeon, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
General Surgeon Insights
“Good experience and technology and one of the best hospitals in korea”
“Working hours are good.”
“Great people to work with.”
“Not enough pay.”
“Almost free .. learning.”
“Good care and a good salary”
General Surgeon Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a General Surgeon
When working as a General Surgeon, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Graduate Medical Education, 24 Hour, Problem Analysis, Critical Thinking, and Vad.
- Primary Care Physician
- Internal Medicine Physician