What does a Group Sales Manager do?
Group sales managers lead a sales team that services existing accounts and uses a variety of marketing and outreach strategies to generate and nurture new accounts. They may handle direct sales and engage in account management duties, and also supervise a team of sales specialists and leaders. They are focused on account development and growth, and develop and implement plans and strategies to help their group meet those objectives.
Group sales managers typically have at least a high school diploma, although a college degree is preferred. They have a background in sales or financial services, and have served in supervisory or leadership positions. They must be able to motivate teams and staff to drive sales and account growth goals. Strong marketing and strategic planning skills are helpful.
- Develop and conduct persuasive verbal sales presentations to prospective clients.
- Solicit new and existing accounts to meet and exceed revenue goals through telephone prospecting, outside sales calls, site inspections and written communication.
- Prepare information for, meet with and entertain clients as deemed appropriate by potential business from that account.
- Communicate both verbally and in writing to provide clear direction to all departments in the hotel to ensure high quality of service to customers.
- Prepare correspondence to customers, internal booking reports and file maintenance.
- Participate in daily business review meeting, pre-convention meetings, training and other sales-related meetings as required.
- Manage accounts to achieve guest satisfaction and to solicit past and new business to ensure all revenue goals are achieved or exceeded.
- Bachelor's Degree in business.
- Leadership skills to motivate and develop staff and to ensure accomplishment of goals.
- Knowledge of hotel or facility operations, including marketing plans, security and safety programs.
- Experienced with planograms and the RFP/RFI process.
- Strong strategic thinking and negotiation skills.
- Proficiency with spreadsheet programs such as Excel.
How much does a Group Sales Manager make?
Group Sales Manager Career Path
Learn how to become a Group Sales Manager, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Group Sales Manager Insights
“TQL is a great opportunity for anyone looking to build a career and better life.”
“Good and Timely Pay.”
“Sales isn't for everyone but fortunately there are numerous other career opportunities at TQL”
“It was Beautiful place to work”
“Great Manager to work with”
“Not good work life balance”
“Good GOOD GOOD GOOD WORK”
“No raise was given.”
Group Sales Manager Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Group Sales Manager
- Sales Representative
- Sales Manager
- Administrative Assistant
- Customer Relations