What does a Hair Stylist do?
As a hair stylist you would provide insight to men, women and children on various hair styles, cuts and color. In addition, you would have the ability to learn and share information on the hair care products to upsell items solid by the salon. Effectively use various marketing methods to grow your clientele such as social media and customer referrals.
The ability to successfully communicate with a diverse customer population is essential. A friendly and approachable individual who finds it easy to speak with a variety of individuals. Experience with various types of hair is preferred. A valid cosmetology license in the state you are practicing is required.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Superior oral communication skills
- Ability to develop your own clientele through social media and customer referrals
- Demonstrate consistent telephone etiquette
- Keep your station clean and sanitary
- Assist in upselling salon products and services
- Safe use of equipment and chemicals
- Assist with laundry and linens as needed
- 3+ years of experience as a hairstylist
- Knowledge of products solid by the salon
- Exhibit basic computer skills
- Accurate use of an office phone
- Able to lift boxes up to 10 pounds
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Excellent verbal communication skills with customers
- Reliable transportation to meet scheduling requirements
- Maintain inventory product log
How much does a Hair Stylist make near United States?
Hair Stylist Career Path
Learn how to become a Hair Stylist, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Hair Stylist Insights
“Great way to build a clientele and much better money than renting a booth in a salon!”
“he openly uses racial slurs to both emplloyees AND customers water leaking from electrical outlets no paper towels”
“$24. Manager Kendall is super nice and I still keep in touch with her.”
“There’s always education and training as well as many opportunities to take your career further.”
“Doing my training in a college is great but you do miss out of the salon experience.”
“If you need continuing education to perfect your skills this is a great opportunity for you.”
“Tips are the best pay but it does suck sometimes when you have to rely on it.”
“No work place is perfect but this one was one of the best I've worked in.”
Hair Stylist Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Hair Stylist
When working as a Hair Stylist, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Test Equipment, Attention To Detail, Schedules, Microsoft Office Suite, and Effective Communication.
- Makeup Artist
- Salon Manager
- Beauty Consultant
- Fashion Stylist