What does a Hardware Engineer do?
Hardware engineers are responsible for the research, design, development, and testing of computer systems and components, including routers, memory devices, circuit boards, networks, and processors.
Hardware engineers design devices used in manufactured products that incorporate processors and other computer components and that connect to the internet. This could include newer automobiles, home appliances, and medical devices, which have internet ready computer systems built into them. They ensure that computer hardware components work together with the latest and most current software. They design new computer hardware and create schematics of computer equipment to be built and test their design. They analyze the test results, and they modify the design if needed. Most entry level computer hardware engineers have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering however electrical engineering or computer science degrees are generally acceptable; many engineering programs need to be accredited.
- Ensure implementation of the latest design practices, methods, and procedures.
- Manage electronic lab operations, incoming work, and new processes.
- Oversee test engineering on new process creation and strategies.
- Support a team to maintain hardware products through full life cycle.
- Consult with vendors and suppliers to ensure product and project compliance.
- Provide technical leadership for all product development by directing equipment design and function.
- Define test methodology and conduct tests to ensure/validate product performance, quality, and reliability.
- Develop validation procedures and write code requirements in order to test prototype.
- Identify and validate product risks and work with team to mitigate them.
- Coordinate with other maintenance, operations and engineering contracts as required.
- Work with cross functional teams to tune and validate electronics hardware components.
- Document and summarize design data to support team members and different clients.
- Select, develop, and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the group.
- Participate in failure root cause analysis and implement corrective actions.
- Present and participate in critical design reviews and risk assessments.
- Build, lead, and mentor a world-class autonomous vehicle validation team.
- Lead the team to build and manage the system integration bench of the autonomous drive system.
- Guide growth and quality of department by implementing and maintaining policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with customer and company standards and policies.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, computer science or electronics engineering.
- Experience with C, PCB design, CAD software, FPGA, MATLAB, and QUANTUM programming language software and systems.
- Experience with Linux, Logic Analyzer, Baseband, Python, and Verilog software and systems.
- Comfortable with leading and problem solving in addition to scripting and debugging.
- Fluent in writing protocols and algorithm design.
How much does a Hardware Engineer make near United States?
Hardware Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become a Hardware Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Hardware Engineer Insights
“Since the work is really intriguing it is a great place to start your Career.”
“Development team and manufacturing team work well together and are good to work with.”
“Talented and cooperative team to work with.”
“Mediocre work and salaries.”
“Challenging and rewarding career.”
“Biamp's product management is new to using use cases to define new products which can make requirements ambiguous to engineering.”
“the salary is avarage but nott the best in the market”
“slow progress perks salary is not upto standards”
Hardware Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Hardware Engineer
- Controls Engineer
- Electrical Designer
- Electrical Engineer