How to Become a B2B Copywriter?
Steps to Become a CopywriterA copywriter writes compelling promotional and marketing materials for a large array of services and products. These materials can range from email copy and blog posts to packaging labels and brochures. They also assist in defining the voice of a brand to ensure all copy is consistent with this voice. Here are six steps on how to become a copywriter.
Gain an understanding of copywriting basics.
Like most occupations, there's more to becoming a copywriter than what meets the eye. That makes having a thorough understanding of what a copywriter has to do very important. Some of the job responsibilities you'll have as a copywriter include:
- You'll need to have a deep understanding of human psychology to better under your customer's needs.
- You'll be required to submit error-free or near error-free content to marketing and product branding to help them create an effective identity as a brand.
- You will need to have exceptional multi-tasking skills, as you'll probably be working on multiple projects at the same time.
- You may be responsible for creating content for emails, media campaigns, direct mail pieces, billboards, press releases, social media ads, television ads, and even radio advertisements.
Get your education.
Some employers will hire you for a copywriting position with a high school diploma or GED as long as you have experience and an appealing portfolio. It's common for copywriters to have a bachelor's degree in journalism, English, or a related major. If you choose to specialize in a specific type of copywriting, you may wish to pursue courses in those areas, such as engineering or computer science for a software copywriter.
What type of degree should you pursue to become a Copywriter?
100% of people working as a Copywriter earned a Bachelor's Degree
What skills do you need to be a Copywriter?
- Degree IN English
- Attention To Detail
- Written Communication
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Strategic Thinking
- Content Management Systems
Choose a type of copywriting.
There are three main types of copywriting careers that you can specialize in. These are:
- Freelance copywriter. This path will offer you the largest amount of freedom with regard to subject matter, time commitment, and project type. You'll have a flexible schedule that will allow you to commit to as many or as few jobs as you wish.
- Corporate copywriter. This path will offer you more job stability. You'll be writing only about services offered by the corporation you're working for. This type requires less creativity because you will be working with a more consistent subject matter.
- Agency copywriter. Being an agency copywriter means that you will have secured a position within a company that serves multiple clients. You're typically expected to work full-time and have the creativity to help clients create their own brand identity.
Discover your niche.
Pursuing clientele and establishing yourself in a certain niche will help you establish more credibility as a copywriter. For example, if you enjoy traveling, you can focus on travel blog writing. You get to write about a subject you have a passion for and know well by writing for your niche.
Create your portfolio.
A copywriting portfolio is known as a “Minimum Viable Portfolio” or an MVP. It consists of sample work that is targeted toward the interests of your potential client. This sample should be 200 to 400 words in length and be carefully constructed to provide a representation of your quality of work. While brief, your portfolio should focus on efficiency and accuracy to show your qualities to your potential employer.
Learn how to brand yourself for the current market.
One of your goals as a successful copywriter is to attract, keep, and gain customers. You'll need to understand marketing strategies, your target audience, product placement, brand identity, and branding for yourself in order to secure more copywriting jobs.
B2B Copywriter Career Path
Total Pay Trajectory
B2B Copywriter Career Path
Related Careers in the Media & Communications Industry
Interested in other Media & Communications careers? Below are occupations that have high affinity with B2B Copywriter skills. Discover some of the most common B2B Copywriter career transitions, along with skills overlap.