What does an IT Controller do?
As an IT Specialist you will work in positions using computer-based information systems. You will work with both network and software applications and computer hardware. You will design, operate and maintain technology products. You may work with any business, agency or organization that uses technology.
An ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in computer science or engineering with any IT certification and a minimum of 3 years in a similar role. You must be proficient in several programming languages and be experienced in writing code. You will have an expert level proficiency in MS Office Applications, including Project. You will have a previous technical support role and be familiar with a range of software and hardware. You will have a willingness to travel to client sites to complete the work required.
- Meet with prospective clients to determine requirements
- Engage with clients to define the scope of the project
- Plan timeline and resources needed for project
- Travel to client sites
- Responsible for network management, software development and database administration
- Define software, hardware and network requirements
- Identify and resolve project issues
- Prepare project status reports
- Any IT certification, required
- 3+ years of experience in a similar role
- Proficient in several programming languages
- Experienced writing code
- Expert level in Microsoft Office Applications, including Project
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Familiar with a range of software and hardware
- Previous technical support role
- Willing to travel to client sites
How much does an IT Controller make?
IT Controller Career Path
Learn how to become an IT Controller, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
IT Controller Insights
“Decent raise and if we hit our numbers this year then bonuses will be good.”
“Was a great place to work and learn a lot about web development and Data Science”
“Sometimes the fit was not always spot on but when it was the gear was top notch.”
“I felt like the work I did was important and my team and I did it well.”
“It's great to be rewarded for good work and to have the opportunity to advance quickly.”
“The CPA department are all amazing people and I will truly miss being around them.”
“Experienced bullying from my manager itself and try to escalate but didn’t go well .Lots of favoritism..”
“They continued to focus on the teams personal and professional development which I loved to see.”
IT Controller Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of an IT Controller
When working as an IT Controller, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Operating Systems, Attention To Detail, Responses, Security Clearance, and Reviews.
- IT Consultant
- Information Technology Manager
- IT Analyst
The most common qualifications to become an IT Controller include a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 years of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.