What does an IT Consultant do?
As an IT Consultant you will partner with clients and advise them on the use of information technology to meet business objectives. You will provide strategic guidance regarding technology and IT infrastructure. You may provide guidance and technical expertise on selection and procurement and user training and feedback.
An ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in computer science or engineering with a PMP certification and any IT certifications. You must be experience in writing code and have an expert level in MS Office Applications, including Project. You will have excellent written and oral communication skills, a high level of analytical skills and superior presentation skills. You must be willing to travel for extended periods of time.
- Meet with prospective clients to determine requirements
- Engage with clients to define the scope of the project
- Plan timeline and resources needed for project
- Understand organizational practices and their industry
- Travel to client sites
- Define software, hardware and network requirements
- Identify and resolve project issues
- Prepare project status reports
- MBA in Information Systems, preferred
- PMP certification, preferred
- Any IT certification, preferred
- Experienced writing code
- Expert level in Microsoft Office Applications, including Project
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Superior presentation skills
- High level analytical skills
- Willing to travel for extended periods of time
How much does an IT Consultant make?
IT Consultant Career Path
Learn how to become an IT Consultant, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
IT Consultant Insights
“I work with people across multiple areas and everyone is always focussed and great to work with.”
“I have made some lifelong friends and have had the best experiences of my life.”
“I believe that the opportunities offered at Edge Information Technologies are some of the best in our field and area.”
“If you get a Full Time Employment their then you get minimum 100% hike and better work life balance.”
“The training itself is what made me want to pursue a career in software engineering.”
“evolving institution which anyone will love to contribute to its bumpy journey while there are many opportunities to learn.”
“My current project is very good and my manager is very co operative so I can say I am leaning and growing.”
“The base salary was good and the other consultants on the team were whip smart and I enjoyed working with them.”
IT Consultant Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of an IT Consultant
- Information Technology Administrator
- Information Technology Specialist
- Information Technology Manager