What does a Landscape Architect do?
As a Landscape Architect you will create landscapes, plan and design based on client. You will collaborate with other professionals on a wide range of project from parks, gardens, housing and industrial complexes and individual homes. You will use GIS, CAD and other design applications to create aesthetically pleasing and environmentally sounds plans.
You could be an ideal candidate if you have a master's degree in landscape architecture and hold a license as required by the state with 3 years of experience in a similar role. You must be creative and resourceful to fulfill customer needs and be highly skilled in presenting proposed plans.
- Apply marketing skills to develop clients
- Meet with clients, builders, engineers and landscapers to explain project goals
- Prepare site plans, specifications and estimates
- Use CAD to develop graphic representation of project
- Develop vendor relationships to achieve pricing goals
- Select materials based on client desire, budget and climate parameters
- Conduct on-site inspections to assure adherence to final plan
- Research and analyze environmental reports on land conditions
- Bachelor's degree in landscape architecture, required
- Licensed as required by the state
- Must be creative and resourceful to fulfill customer needs within budget and climate parameters
- 3+ years of experience in a similar role
- Experience with CAD
- Excellent analytical skills
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Proficient with computer aided design and drafting
- Familiarity with GIS
How much does a Landscape Architect make?
Landscape Architect Career Path
Learn how to become a Landscape Architect, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Landscape Architect Insights
“Good for career growth and for freshmen who wishes to grow in the field of Landscape design.”
“There is a lot of opportunity for upward mobility if you have a good work ethic and know your job.”
“It was a great way to end the year and get ready for another year of projects.”
“If you love working in a team and working from home this is the best place.”
“Great clients and clients.”
“This is a pro if you are looking for lots of experience and to accelerate your career.”
“Good good good just good”
“Awesome team to work with and great projects”
Landscape Architect Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Landscape Architect
When working as a Landscape Architect, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Rendering, Indesign, and Arcview.
- Project Architect
- Architectural Designer
- Architectural Drafter
The most common qualifications to become a Landscape Architect include a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 years of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.